What is the must have synth(s) of the past three years.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

octaveup wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:51 am #1 Question: What kind of music do you make?

I'm a 60 year old retiree living in the coal fields of southeast Kentucky. One might thing that would put me into country and bluegrass, but the truth is I have been into electronic since I first heard Kraftswerk back in the 1970's. Was using a computer on stage with my cover band back in the early 1980's. A computer, a drum machine, and a stack of synths. My favorite music now is people like Bonobo and Tycho. People who mix synths and natural instrument.
All I need to be happy is one more VSTi.

That sounds amazing :tu:

I was in a similar situation as the op stated.
Getting back into it, and bought Arturia Pigments after a short demo.
Now I'm feeling uninspired by it, and regretting buying it.
I'll most likely sell it soon.
I went over to Synapse Audio, and tried the new Dune3.
Wasn't blown away by the presets, but I got hooked on it from fiddling with it, and creating a great sound on it. It was inspiring, so I just bought Dune3 today, and will be looking to sell off pigments to pay for the upgrade from Dune2.
So to the OP. Try Dune3 and mess around with some sounds there.
You can do better with it with all the effects turned off to start.
Running through the presets is a mixed bag. Some are good, and many are 'heard it before' types.

Vital, 'cos it's modern and stunning and you can try it for free.

Synapse Obsession and G-Force OP-E (out on Tuesday) which are stunning new emulations of old classics.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Going to ask again...
With Komplete 12 and most of the u-He stuff, what do you feel they're lacking to create the sound you want?

And for the most part, I've enjoyed listening to your music suggestions this morning.

There's many ways to go from there.
So are you thinking more organic or modeling or movement or just adding more effects?

choosing synths is alot like choosing a girlfriend. everyone has different preferences
about what they want-like. so the best thing to do is demo, demo,demo
and find the ones you click with :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

don't think anything is 'must have' really, but there are lots of nice treats about

Rabid wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:26 pm People who mix synths and natural instrument.
That’s exactly what I’m into. I highly suggest taking a look at Chromaphone 3.

Omnisphere and Keyscape are excellent choices too.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

If you have Komplete 12 and UHE stuff cover most ground!

If you retired, try modular (it eats time!) VCV Rack (free) or Cherry Audio (under $100)

Pigments offers a lot and is often on sale, Phase Plant is 'modern' and a lot of fun (easy to use as well), Rapid also excellent, lots of synth engines including a great granular implementation, layers and some of the best fx in any synth....

For the money I would, say 'Rapid' is about the best 'super synth' for the buck...often on sale for under 130...https://parawave-audio.com/

A nice simple resonator based synth 'Noisy' https://www.expressivee.com/61-noisy if you want something different but easy to use!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Since "retirement" can be a fickle thing, I'd probably suggest staying away from anything which is NFR (e.g. Rapid, etc.)
You really already have a power house for music creation. That's why I keep coming back to what you feel those are lacking?
I might also suggest you take a look at some different DAWs that some have found to be what they needed to grow.

nm
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

What am I missing or short on or just not happy with what I already have?

Wavetable
Granular
Spectral

Would like more/better options for modular. I have quite a bit of hardware modular. The software modulars that I tried a few years ago were all lacking in the realism of pushing modulation up into the audio rates.

Would like an FM based drum machine. Never thought much about FM drums until Roland updates the OS on my TR-8S and added FM. They did a really good job with it but I cannot help thinking that someone could do even better with software.
All I need to be happy is one more VSTi.

Rabid wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:14 pm What am I missing or short on or just not happy with what I already have?

Wavetable
Granular
Spectral
So along those lines and keeping in your proposed budget.

Padshop Pro 2
Pigments 2

Both can be had in the second hand market for even less.

Of course, for a little above your budget, Halion 6 would also fill out most of those needs on it's own.

Over the past few years I think some analog emulations have continued to be improved. Can't remember exact dates of release but U-He Repro, Synapse Obsession (and legend ) and a couple TAL synths like the J-8 come to mind. Also the Korg Odyssey. These have really been impressive.

For more interesting digital/hybrid synths, Plasmonic for sure, and Tone2 Icarus is a beast. ROli's new Equator 2 as well but it has some issues I think needs to be worked on, but is still pretty awesome.

Tone2 Icarus has my eye (and ear) lately. If you don't have Hive, give it a listen. DS Thorn can be had cheap ($15 with a voucher, when it's on sale from Plugin Alliance).
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Return to “Instruments”