One Synth Challenge #145: Kairatune by Futucraft (z.prime wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

z.prime wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:42 am
JazJazgot wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:23 amis a better way of doing this in the instrument selector?
They all seem to work more-or-less properly for me, but maybe just try round robin and understand you have X number of voices to work with when sequencing the midi? It works great for me. I did notice some odd behavior with the Free-* modes, like i had to be very slow at pressing the notes or they couldn't keep up.
Thanks for the tip! For some reason I do not tried simple round robin and it works better compared to free modes. However, you still need to wake up instuments first, when starting a new instance of instrument selector.
I'm having a lot of fun!

Just jump in for Reaper users who want chords

use pizMIDIPolyphony on th chords track and spit out each note to child tracks based on midi channel.

Works a charm, as always. If you can't get it to work, just ask

dB

z.prime wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:33 am
Local Man wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:19 amI’m always so envious of bitwig users ...I am definitely jumping on the bitwig ship
Please understand it's not a panacea. There are quite a few weak points compared to other DAWs. For me, the strengths outweigh the deficiencies, though but the same may not be true for everyone. Happy to elaborate, if it would help! Cheers!
Yeah, I’ve kind of assumed I’d maybe want to still mix in another DAW (likely Logic) but for composition and production it just looks really powerful and really fun. The way it handles modulation looks like a perfect fit for my production style. I’m not sure about the way it handles track automation though which is very important to me.

Damn, I thought this synth was going to be good for drums and percussion but for me it is a real struggle. All of the pitch modulation stuff is cool but it’s hard to control with any precision and for me the range of all of the envelopes is really weird. Maybe I’m just not getting it and I’ll need a little more time for it to click. So far the only thing this really seems good for is EDM type leads (not really my cup of tea).

Local Man wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:23 pm Damn, I thought this synth was going to be good for drums and percussion but for me it is a real struggle. All of the pitch modulation stuff is cool but it’s hard to control with any precision and for me the range of all of the envelopes is really weird. Maybe I’m just not getting it and I’ll need a little more time for it to click. So far the only thing this really seems good for is EDM type leads (not really my cup of tea).
Try using the Spread, rate, next to amp & the one in the Lpf
Set track to mono
This might help ?
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

I’ll try that. Thanks!

Local Man wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:19 am
z.prime wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:31 pm Yes, and as always Bitwig is ahead of the curve, with it's Instrument Selector device built in to do all the great polyphonic stuff with multiple instances of the synth... \o/ Bitwig! Claes is my hero!
I’m always so envious of bitwig users. There are so many things I find intriguing about that DAW, but I am too entrenched in Logic currently. Whenever (and if ever) I upgrade to a new and more powerful machine, I am definitely jumping on the bitwig ship.
Logic should be able to receive MIDI input on different channels and dispatch them to different tracks. I'm not actually sure how this can be set up, though. It might require a controller with MPE (so the notes can be assigned to different channels while you're playing them) and I don't have one of those to try it with.

EDIT: Looks like I'm onto something. Set up two software instrument tracks, leave the first one unpopulated, and put the synth on the second. Duplicate the second track for as many voices as you think you'll need, up to 15 or so. Now open the MIDI Environment window (command+0). Select the "New" menu and create a Channel Splitter. Draw a cable from the empty track to the Channel Splitter, and draw cables from the Channel Splitter's numbered channel outputs (but not the top one, labeled "Sum") to your synth tracks. If you have an MPE controller, skip channel 1. Close the environment window, select the empty track, and play some chords.

If you don't have an MPE controller, edit the region in the piano roll. Select each chord, and use a command in the Functions menu, "Set MIDI Channel to Voice Number." This will put the highest note on channel 1, the next-highest on channel 2, and so on.

EDIT 2: There's gotta be some other way to reassign notes from channel 1 to channel whatever, for people without MPE hardware. I have a hunch that the whole thing can be made really elegant, but in the meantime I ought to be able to hack it together with the Scripter plugin.

EDIT 3: Well that didn't work.

EDIT 4: All right, this should do it: Create a Transformer object in "Condition splitter" mode to separate note events (Status = Note) from all other event types. Wire the first output to another Transformer in "Alternating split" mode. That gives you two voices. Repeat to get four. Repeat again to get eight. Wire the outputs of these Transformers to your actual instruments. Also, wire the second output of the first Transformer (the one in "Condition splitter" mode) to all instruments to broadcast pitch bend and modulation to all voices.

This last method does not use channels. It might break in crazy ways, depending on the number of notes in your chords, and possibly differences in timing. Treat this as a proof of concept.
Last edited by Super Piano Hater 64 on Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hate signatures too.

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:32 am EDIT 3: Well that didn't work.
:lol:
Good try!

To be honest I just use and arpeggiator with a high arpeggiation rate while I’m writing and then once I have my Midi down, I turn off the arp and copy each chord voice to its own track.
Not super elegant but it works for me.

Local Man wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:26 am
Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:32 am EDIT 3: Well that didn't work.
:lol:
Good try!

To be honest I just use and arpeggiator with a high arpeggiation rate while I’m writing and then once I have my Midi down, I turn off the arp and copy each chord voice to its own track.
Mine is just as basic, separate tracks with transpose 0, +3,+5, if it sounds alright, go for it :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Local Man wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:26 am To be honest I just use and arpeggiator with a high arpeggiation rate while I’m writing and then once I have my Midi down, I turn off the arp and copy each chord voice to its own track.
Sounds legit to me. It's the kind of technique that made chiptunes a thing.
I hate signatures too.

ELEX wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:35 pm I've just tried parameter modulation in the 32-bit version ( in REAPER, of course ) and it's fully functional. As for the host preset function: you're right it doesn't work, BUT... when selecting the same preset twice it does work ( ??? ). Did here anyway.
So I tried the 32 bit version and yes, all the automation functions are working perfectly for me too, guess I'll just use that version - weird though.

@Logic user:

Logic MIDI FX Scripter plugin with free 3rd party script Mono2Poly should do the trick to play monophonic instruments live polyphonically.

Download, install and setup Mono2Poly: https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/view ... 98#p594990

Etienne1973 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:06 pm @Logic user:

Logic MIDI FX Scripter plugin with free 3rd party script Mono2Poly should do the trick to play monophonic instruments live polyphonically.

Download, install and setup Mono2Poly: https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/view ... 98#p594990
That works so much better. I hadn't thought of putting a Scripter on the individual voices. The best part is, you can do this with a summing stack and save the whole thing as a channel strip preset. Thanks!
I hate signatures too.

@rules experts,

Are frequency shifters allowed? Normally I wouldn't go this route, but there's one effect I want that only happens at one note, so I'd prefer to freq shift it which produces a more consistent result.

edit: nvm got lucky with the frequency gods and they have bestowed upon me a pitchable patch.

functionform wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:05 am @rules experts,

Are frequency shifters allowed? Normally I wouldn't go this route, but there's one effect I want that only happens at one note, so I'd prefer to freq shift it which produces a more consistent result.

edit: nvm got lucky with the frequency gods and they have bestowed upon me a pitchable patch.
For future reference, no. Pitch shifting effects are not permitted. Glad you found an in-synth solution.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

Return to “Instruments”