Arturia Pigments 3 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

pixel85 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:47 am When I first tried P3, meter in Cubase shows lovely 50% usage with default preset (no playing anything) :D On 3900x (12 core) CPU.
So far it was the most "powerful" preset from the presets list.

Of course I could add it to a busy project that was alteady using 80% of performance meter and it didn't even affected it in any way. I could play complex pad presets and there was no single crack sound or anything. Ozone's Limiter IV seems to affect performance more than P3 in busy project.
So from my experience, in real use P3 is quite gentle for a decent CPU.

Everything done in 96kHz, 128ms buffer.
I should expect a similar result to yours. I will use 44.1 or 48khz though.

Divine Diva consumes less cpu than P3 (Also Bazille on high settings)! So, for not so complex presets, I might use Pigments but I still use my favourite eco synths (Razor, Retrologue, Padshop, FM8 and Massive) and I still find them great sounding. Don't know if Pigments can compete with them soundwise or which I'm going to use more in the future. I will see.

EnGee wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:49 am
pixel85 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:47 am When I first tried P3, meter in Cubase shows lovely 50% usage with default preset (no playing anything) :D On 3900x (12 core) CPU.
So far it was the most "powerful" preset from the presets list.

Of course I could add it to a busy project that was alteady using 80% of performance meter and it didn't even affected it in any way. I could play complex pad presets and there was no single crack sound or anything. Ozone's Limiter IV seems to affect performance more than P3 in busy project.
So from my experience, in real use P3 is quite gentle for a decent CPU.

Everything done in 96kHz, 128ms buffer.
I should expect a similar result to yours. I will use 44.1 or 48khz though.

Divine Diva consumes less cpu than P3 (Also Bazille on high settings)! So, for not so complex presets, I might use Pigments but I still use my favourite eco synths (Razor, Retrologue, Padshop, FM8 and Massive) and I still find them great sounding. Don't know if Pigments can compete with them soundwise or which I'm going to use more in the future. I will see.
When I tested it yesterday on my setup, P3 uses way less CPU that U-he stuff. There are a few presets that were really bad, but most seemed to be fine.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

I also tested today Pigments. Most of the presets are fine really (25% of the CPU or less). I haven't finish them, still in letter D :o as I spend my time playing around with most presets and see how it was designed.

It is a great synth really :) The harmonic engine is fantastic and much better than I thought at first glance. I think I will invest learning and mastering it :D

After making some patches with the harmonic engine I am impressed with it. There are so many options for esculpting the sound and it's so easy to create movement with all sorts of modullations, I love this thing. And for the people who want to manipulate one partial individually, it's actually possible with the "Shepard" mode. You just have to select minimum win size (one partial) and search for it with the "Position" knob, and then with "Gain" it is possible to enhance it or lower it until it disappears.

Teksonik wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:57 pm Ok so this morning I sent a support request to Arturia regarding the Spectrum soundsets that were supposed to be included when purchasing Pigments new but weren't showing up in Owned Banks.

They responded in an amazingly short period of time especially given the fact they just had a big product rollout and sale yesterday and no doubt have many support requests today so I'm very impressed by that.

Anyway they fixed the issue and now the banks show up in Owned Banks. :)
I had the same problem after meandering onto the bandwagon this morning. Support fixed things up for me in under 20 minutes. Not half bad.
I hate signatures too.

OK - I am seriously impressed with Pigments 3.
I just got it last Friday, gave it a quick spin and went through the tutorials and thought - yah, this is pretty cool.
I've been going through the manual with Pigments up and running, and each section is throwing some surprises at me.
Even the manual is excellent.

Of course, I'm in a bit of a honeymoon stage with it right now, but I think the Harmonic section is pure genius.
The other sections all have some very unique and useful features too, but I've always leaned towards additive.
Anyways, for anyone who's on the fence about getting it, I highly recommend it.
Truly a great bargain at the current price.
No - I'm not connected with Arturia in any way other than being a customer. :lol:

Even at $200 P3 is value - but at $100 its the best VST synth bargain around for a very long time
Zen

before this v3 release i had swapped my v2 license for Rob Papen Blade2. That's a more additive synth.

Anyone know if there's a mono implementation or a way to get portamento?

If you mess with the chord settings and glide it sounds close to polyphonic portamento, but I'm not sure about that.
It also seems odd that they would have left out a mono mode with different env. trigger options.
Maybe I'm just not seeing it.

felis wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:58 pm Anyone know if there's a mono implementation or a way to get portamento?

If you mess with the chord settings and glide it sounds close to polyphonic portamento, but I'm not sure about that.
It also seems odd that they would have left out a mono mode with different env. trigger options.
Maybe I'm just not seeing it.
Hello Felis,

In the keyboard section (right of the envelops) there is a "Mode" section where you can set Pigments 3 to Mono, Legato and set the number of voices.

Is it what you are looking for?

Best,

Denis

Hey! I just installed Pigments 3 and the Spectrum Sound Pack Banks..Is it normal that the preset browser does not show a thumbnail for the banks? The "Pigments 2 / Pigments 3" Banks got a picture shown, but the Spectrum Sound Banks only show the same picture as the User-Bank which is a Black-White-figure. Restarted the PC but didn´t change anything.

VA, granular, sampler, additive, wavetable... This thing is seriously turning into a monster. The only thing that will be missing is spectral resynthesis...
Last edited by Neon Breath on Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Before they add any synthesis method thinkable, I'd rather see it have some essential stuff like setting the oscillator phase.

Neon Breath wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:28 pm The only thing that will ne missing is spectral resynthesis...
A good thing some of us have Iris 2 for that!

I'm not sure how they could wedge spectral re-synthesis into Pigments, unless they came up with a novel workflow that would fit into Pigments workflow. I think I would rather have the ability to import samples into the noise generators.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Return to “Instruments”