Enough vintage already. How about some "Modern" synth suggestions?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

briefcasemanx wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:02 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:55 pm I think 99% of modern EDM music is made with "modern" soft synths. Think Sylenth1, Spire, Serum, Massive, Nexus etc.
Is this why I don't like the sounds in most modern edm?
no, that's because you're turning in to your parents :hihi:

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:45 pm That sounds like a new thread. You will be stranded in a tiny hut in the arctic circle for a year. Almost all of your provisions are provided for. Your hut comes fully equipped with a modern computer with an operating system of your choice, a high quality audio interface, a 61 key controller, and a single pair of high quality monitors.

There is one problem.

You have no internet, and no ability to download anything. All you can do is use the tools that are on the computer or that you bring with you to make music.

There is one more problem.

"Almost" means this, there is no toilet paper nor any reasonable approximation.

You have been granted a budget for a year's supply of high quality toilet paper. The average person uses 50 pounds per year, or, approximately 410 rolls. You have been granted $2.44 cents per roll for a budget of $1000.

Before you leave, you must purchase, in advance, all of your toilet paper and all of the software to produce music. You may not use any communistic open source software or free tools. Real musicians pay for their software. They want everything professional, everything high grade.

Upon return, you must bring with you a fresh track to please KVR or you will be sent back for another year with no additional budget.

What do you buy?
Well, there's running water, right?

Here's what I buy: A cheap mic, a copy of Renoise, 48 rolls of toilet paper, and a bunch of plumbing supplies and power tools. I construct a rudimentary bidet and save my remaining toilet paper for emergencies. Then I spend a few weeks banging my leftover pipes together, hitting stuff with a plunger, and running my power tools. Now I just have to manipulate all these samples into something that sounds like a piano. If I work fast enough I can get it all done before the sunless arctic winter, during which I will surely go mad and stand on clifftops to taunt God with wordless screaming. Maybe I can sample that too. I'll see if I can budget for a GoPro.
I hate signatures too.

vurt wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:10 pm
briefcasemanx wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:02 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:55 pm I think 99% of modern EDM music is made with "modern" soft synths. Think Sylenth1, Spire, Serum, Massive, Nexus etc.
Is this why I don't like the sounds in most modern edm?
no, that's because you're turning in to your parents :hihi:
Unfortunately this is the correct answer :(

Poor dblock, another thread hijacked for the amusement of others. I skipped over most of it, so apologies if any of these have been mentioned but I'd recommend TRK-01 Bass, a Reaktor ensemble that comes with the free tier of Komplete. It's beautifully simple, deceptively deep and it sounds nice, too. I also keep finding a lot of uses for Soundspot's Union. There is not much to it but it sounds huge! I wouldn't pay $179 for it, though, I'd wait until it was on sale for $15. Other things to check out would be ANA 2, ArcSyn and HY-Poly.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

dblock wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:25 pm I've got all the synths I'll ever need that are described as "classic" "analog" "80's" vintage and every other term to describe synths from back when. Now I want to balance that out with "Modern".I have Serum,Omnisphere, Pigments Hive and Nexus3 (which I don't get along with for some reason) that I consider less focused on the past.I could use some ideas for synth plugins most used in current music that doesn't so much focus on recreating a past era with vintage emulations.
you prob already have them

a good way to find new stuff is to check out videos/SoundCloud of soundbanks that are specific to your needs

BONES wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:44 am Poor dblock, another thread hijacked for the amusement of others. I skipped over most of it, so apologies if any of these have been mentioned but I'd recommend TRK-01 Bass, a Reaktor ensemble that comes with the free tier of Komplete. It's beautifully simple, deceptively deep and it sounds nice, too. I also keep finding a lot of uses for Soundspot's Union. There is not much to it but it sounds huge! I wouldn't pay $179 for it, though, I'd wait until it was on sale for $15. Other things to check out would be ANA 2, ArcSyn and HY-Poly.
Thanks for the suggestions BONES. Will check them out.

Has Generate been mentioned? And it's free-tier sister Pendulate? Very innovative synths in terms of sound and GUI.

I have no idea what you like/need in terms of types of sounds. What you listed that you have already covers almost anything you would want.

Plasmonic - is a unique synth and not at all 'vintage'. More physical modeling.
Vital - has the text to wavetable function which can make some unique vocal sounds with a natural quality.
Bazille - complex audio rate modulations and unusual sequenced goodness. Think modular.

These are 3 suggestions that are outside (mostly) of what you have already and are not vintage or even basic subtractive.

pdxindy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:08 pm I have no idea what you like/need in terms of types of sounds. What you listed that you have already covers almost anything you would want.

Plasmonic - is a unique synth and not at all 'vintage'. More physical modeling.
Vital - has the text to wavetable function which can make some unique vocal sounds with a natural quality.
Bazille - complex audio rate modulations and unusual sequenced goodness. Think modular.

These are 3 suggestions that are outside (mostly) of what you have already and are not vintage or even basic subtractive.
Not so much about need because as you say, I have everything I could "need" but most is some type of vintage emulation of synths that have a distinctive sound of the past more so than modern so I just figured there are some diamonds in the rough out there that don't necessarily get the big press but are great synths with modern sounds to balance out the Juno 8-ish/Oberheim type vintage synths that keep coming out if that makes sense.
I have Bazille which I like but not a go-to because it's kind of out there and it's complicated to me.If I want to make changes,I usually have to spend time guessing what is doing what so I can change it.I'll check out the others. Thanks for the input.

vurt wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:42 pm
arctic? easy, snow geese.
What? Do you mean wipe your arse on geese?

vurt wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:22 pm
jancivil wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:16 pm
melomood wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:06 pm the only thing that made Absynth more modern than a Prophet was some distortion?
what a bizarre remark
no, there's probably several millon things, as a conservative estimate
he was questioning an earlier remark further up the page ;)

layzer. add distortion to any synth, instant modern sound. eye roll...

cello guy :hihi:
Heh. Figures.
I'll not soon forget that "cello" debacle

Toilet paper is a waste of time and money. Soap and water FTW.
y'all mostly running around with dingleberries methinks

Spring Goose wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:42 pm
vurt wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:42 pm
arctic? easy, snow geese.
What? Do you mean wipe your arse on geese?
yes, what else are you gonna do with a goose?

to stop bones crying, i will also add

reaktor form. lovely modern sounds.

or look at vcv rack, modular synth with all kinds of modern processing stuff :tu:

reaktor form. lovely modern sounds.
Komplete is life.

dblock wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:24 pm I have Bazille which I like but not a go-to because it's kind of out there and it's complicated to me.If I want to make changes,I usually have to spend time guessing what is doing what so I can change it.
I’ve bounced off Bazille a couple times myself. I hope to invest more time in studying it someday but I also wonder if I could develop a better intuition for what it’s doing by using some other synth with vaguely similar capabilities. That’s not a long list, though. The closest thing I’m aware of is Phase Plant. I’m curious how good or bad a comparison that actually is, and what experienced users think after having spent a lot of time with both.
I hate signatures too.

Return to “Instruments”