Korg Collection 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
KORG Collection

OrionAlpha101 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:06 pmthe Z1 is the most best digital synth in my eyes to bring it back to live in virtual form.
It's funny how things go. Back then (yes, I was around then), the Z1 wasn't particularly well thought of. It didn't sell well, and wasn't that highly regarded. It offered interesting possibilities, and pointed towards an intriguing future where Physical Modelling could get super real, advanced and authentic (that didn't happen so far), but generally people thought it was an early instrument with potential that sounded a bit cold and sterile.

Now, reading the forums, people seem to be treating it as another lost holy grail, like many other not well received synths of their time. Fashion, I guess... or what we don't have always seems better than what we do have.

I've heard one Prophecy soft vs hard demo so far, and I expected it to be much closer than it was, if it's all just the same code. I was surprised at both the sound and behaviour differences though...

beely wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:30 pm
OrionAlpha101 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:06 pmthe Z1 is the most best digital synth in my eyes to bring it back to live in virtual form.
It's funny how things go. Back then (yes, I was around then), the Z1 wasn't particularly well thought of. It didn't sell well, and wasn't that highly regarded. It offered interesting possibilities, and pointed towards an intriguing future where Physical Modelling could get super real, advanced and authentic (that didn't happen so far), but generally people thought it was an early instrument with potential that sounded a bit cold and sterile.

Now, reading the forums, people seem to be treating it as another lost holy grail, like many other not well received synths of their time. Fashion, I guess... or what we don't have always seems better than what we do have.
I may give you the example of the Yamaha FS1R. It too wasn't well regarded when it was launched, and Yamaha discontinued it as a failure. Yet now it is being sold at way more expensive prices than it used to cost NEW back then. I wish I bought one when I had the chance. :(
beely wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:30 pm I've heard one Prophecy soft vs hard demo so far, and I expected it to be much closer than it was, if it's all just the same code. I was surprised at both the sound and behavior differences though...
Judging from the earlier news, the original programmer died, and the original code was so messy noone was able to understand it then. Maybe they sort of tried to come up with something close, but not exactly the same code :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:35 pm I may give you the example of the Yamaha FS1R. It too wasn't well regarded when it was launched, and Yamaha discontinued it as a failure.
Yep, that was certainly one I was thinking of. The JD800 too, and there's plenty more examples. But also a lot of examples where *anything* analog & old today is regarded as some glorious forgotten legend... some of these folks need to realise there were crap synths back the, just as there were good ones! ;)

(Not that you can't make musical use out of crap instruments of course...)
fmr wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:35 pm Judging from the earlier news, the original programmer died, and the original code was so messy noone was able to understand it then. Maybe they sort of tried to come up with something close, but not exactly the same code :shrug:
Who knows? And maybe it was just this one demo, which isn't enough data points - I'm reserving judgement until a few more demos comparing them come out...

There are more digital synths I like to see in Virtual form:The Roland V-synth the Kawai K-5000 and the SY99!The Z1 is a very good synth because its digital and in layer mode you can do very good stuff with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj9gZsSSqJM

The Kawai K5/5000 was another one that wasn't particularly well received back then, largely by being too complicated to program and hard to make sound good because of the programming/interface difficulties...

But yes, the V-Synth and SY99 would be great to have in the box, I agree...

OrionAlpha101 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:49 pm the Kawai K-5000 and the SY99
although it´s not the same, like those recreations from KORG and u-he, but UVI made Libraries of nearly both:
the K-5000 is included in Digital Synsations Vol.2 and
the SY77 is in Vol.1
take a listen:
https://youtu.be/HqGAH50jBgI?t=43
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6HqUOW8EG4

worth a listen, buying is your own choice ;)
I own both and :love: very much

OrionAlpha101 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:49 pm There are more digital synths I like to see in Virtual form:The Roland V-synth the Kawai K-5000 and the SY99!
Yep! I have ALL of the above :hihi:

So... I agree :hihi:

The only one I miss is exactly the FS1R... And thinking I had the opportunity to buy one basically new, a few years after it was discontinued :x
Fernando (FMR)

Maybe one day there is a Yamaha VST Collection ,The AN1x is also a fine digital synthesizer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KYYV1j5rMc

Yep AN1x is sick!

Isn't it a shame how all those companies have fantastic early VA's, and noone dares to make an emulation of them?

Just gotta rip that DSP out, put it in software, and off you go. ;) Guess they're scared that people would judge them by state of the art DSP from the 90's.

As a long time M1vst user, I broke down and purchased the v3 collection, as I had been gassing for the Triton for a while. I have to say they are pretty impressive. My biggest surprise would have to be the mini Korg. Never really heard of it before, but was surprise by the range of sound from what looks to be a pretty limited synth.
I do have a question: I am a new collection user, has the legacy cell vst been discontinued? It showed up in my downloads and seemed to install but fails to open. I launches Software Pass when initiated. I do not see it listed as part of the collection?
Thanks

Aksel wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:23 pm I am trying to buy the bundle. I already own M1, MDE-X, WAVESTATION, Polysix, Mono Poly, MS 20 and M1LE.
The only discount code i can see at korg user.net is the M1LE code. The cheapest one i see is $199.
Any helpful pointers on how to upgrade cheaper?
Look in your account for a link to discounts or special price options.
That's were I found my code.

fmr wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:03 am
BBFG# wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:58 am Wasn't saying anyone was saying that.
The first one laid out a vague cause and I asked for details. Although simple deduction should eliminate that. Second one said pretty much the same, without any possibility for why. I posted in case someone else was experiencing the same thing.
I don't think "simple deduction should eliminate that". Since two guys already reported they are using ASIO without problems, your problem may be related to the way Oddissey deals with YOUR hardware ASIO driver. Odissey was not programmed by the same team that programmed the other instruments, so it deals with things differently. The fact the other Korg instruments are dealing with ASIO without problems means nothing in these circumstances.

If you have some Steinberg software installed, you may also have the Steinberg "Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver". Try that one - it will address other hardware (the one used by your computer to play audio), and see if that also causes a crash.
Thanks for that suggestion. I have already tried that as well with the same result. Not angry with anyone, including Korg. Just know I've already spent more time on it than I care to. It does work in the two main DAWs I open up, which uses the same driver. And that's enough for now since it's not a go-to synth for me anyway. TBT, none of the Collection is and I use them more in play than actual production. Even so, I don't plan on selling it, but this minor neg is enough to not put more money into the company at this point.

Ever listened to Kitaro? If so, then you have heard the miniKorg for sure.
MRT wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:44 pm As a long time M1vst user, I broke down and purchased the v3 collection, as I had been gassing for the Triton for a while. I have to say they are pretty impressive. My biggest surprise would have to be the mini Korg. Never really heard of it before, but was surprise by the range of sound from what looks to be a pretty limited synth.
I do have a question: I am a new collection user, has the legacy cell vst been discontinued? It showed up in my downloads and seemed to install but fails to open. I launches Software Pass when initiated. I do not see it listed as part of the collection?
Thanks

Sequent wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:43 pm Ever listened to Kitaro? If so, then you have heard the miniKorg for sure.
yey, another good point to pick up this Upgrade, becuase I love the albums from Kitaro very much :hyper:

Return to “Instruments”