How easy is the Korg Wavestation to use?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mholloway wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:23 pm So, is there any way to know (based on bank number, or something else...) which Wavestation patches --actually use-- the vector joystick?
When you say *use*, do you mean "modulate over time"? Because there's few synths that actually give you heads up on whether they;ve used a particular modulator - say, aftertouch, in any given patch, just like no sounds have a graphic of "hey this patch uses wave sequences".

Remember, the vector position is just a mix of up to four oscillators in a patch. You should always be able to use the joystick to alter balances.
mholloway wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:23 pmBecause I've clicked on like twenty random patches across the various factory / card content, and so far not a single one has actually been mapped to use it.
Modulating the mix envelope over time is just one of the many features that a patch designer can use if they want to. Not every patch in the library uses it, and in fact probably not that many do, but some do for sure.

mholloway wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:23 pm So, is there any way to know (based on bank number, or something else...) which Wavestation patches --actually use-- the vector joystick?

Because I've clicked on like twenty random patches across the various factory / card content, and so far not a single one has actually been mapped to use it.

Am I missing something?
Do you mean performances? For the first 3 RAM banks yes, the original manual outlines which performances have joystick functionality and the VST version should be a 1 for 1 in terms of performances (starts on page 5): https://cdn.korg.com/us/support/downloa ... n%2Fpdf%3B

Another tip, at the "waves" layer anything numbered 0 - 32 is a wavesequence - anything higher is not.

Also, the joystick doesn't need to be mapped to "work" - 1 oscillator patches simply do not work with the joystick. Only 2 and 4 oscillators patches.

OP: I consider it easy to understand structurally once you've spent some time with it and read the manual. More complicated than your basic Juno 106 for sure, but not FM synthesis crazy. Mastering it...that's another story.

Return to “Instruments”