East West "Rare Instruments" -- for $1000?!?!?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Holy geez.

I mean, I understand it's big. I understand the "street price" will be lower (maybe $800?). I understand they consider that WE will consider it the ultimate in rare instrument sample sets.

But $1000?!?!?

ONE... THOUSAND... DOLLARS... ?!?

Am I really the only guy who loves waiting to see what's coming at NAMM -- but who AT EXACTLY THE SAME TIME *hates* to see how much it costs?

Crazy.

Maybe the primary market is not the "no synth is worth $200 I'll stick to my Synth edit synths", but rather "I need some indian instruments for my newest film score"-market. People over at Northern sounds seems delighted, regardless of the price.
You and me, well maybe Ethnosphere will do :cry:

Well, you know, you're RIGHT... the thing is, my opinion doesn't mean crap to East West anyway -- ha ha...

But man, I got TOTALLY excited when I saw that news item, as I've been so interested in the original collection (though I've had no chance to check it out). But I thought, as I was reading, "Now THAT is a set I will get!!!"

Until I saw the price.

And that feeling I have, see, is that I'm totally helpless -- ain't no WAY I can afford to get that set, but at $500 MSRP, I'd be thinking, "Okay, what can I sell to get that thing" -- you know?!?

It's just weak, as we used to say in high school. I mean, I'm sure the set will be FANTASTIC... which is why at that price it's weak...

Oh, well... You're right, Armadillo... Time for me to learn how to play erhu myself.

Geez...

:cry:

(maybe they'll come out with a cut-down version too? or I guess that's the ORIGINAL Quantam Leap RA? :wink: )

Did you read WHY it is $1000

14GB, sourcing ethno musos, world class recording studios etc, what do you think that all costs?

There is a thread there somewhere about the dollars and cents to create a lib like that.

Not to mention the fact that there exists no other lib like that on the market so they can charge what they want.

Sheesh everyone wants a group buy and a freebie. They expect sound companies to just give their libraries away for FREE.

Ben H

Besides Ethnosphere, you could try Swarplug. Both under $199 I believe. Probably not the same quality though, but worth a shot. :)

There’s also EthnoWorld Vol. 1 & 2:

www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=BS-306

www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=BS-378

$300 a pop, with the current NAMM discount of 30% you could get both for $420. :D

/Yoss

Ben:
Nobody said anything about free. Nobody said anything about "they ought to give it to me." I don't think I said they SHOULDN'T charge $1000, exactly (though obviously I wish they didn't).

I was trying to say it's weak that I want it, but can't have it because it costs so much. It's crazy that I have that feeling over a dang sample set. Talk about "greed" -- ha ha...

Anyway, sorry if that didn't come out correctly.

I ought to have just shut up about it. Sorry -- seriously -- I shouldn't have said anything... I'm sure it will be GREAT, really I am -- I just know I won't be able to buy it. And I was regretting that feeling of seeing the news, thinking it will be great -- and then realizing it's totally out of my price range.

That's all.

I will quit now, and fade into the yonder...

I hear you Tokyo,

That was actually a point of contention on another forum as well.

For me, I'm COMPELLED to get this thing, the voices in my head are telling me I must get it :-D
If it sounds good it is good.

Sorry Tokyo,

I thought you were having a shot at the devs for being greedy, when it actually costs to produce a lib and then the customers expect to get it for nothing.

Ben H

TokyoTain wrote:I was trying to say it's weak that I want it, but can't have it because it costs so much. It's crazy that I have that feeling over a dang sample set. Talk about "greed" -- ha ha...
I think it's weak that someone would complain about the price when they have no idea how much it cost to produce. :?

I think we need a forum dedicated to people complaining about what's too expensive, and let's include cars, houses, boats, etc etc etc in there, because we can't afford them. I can't afford a Lamborghini, no matter HOW much I want one. I'm not going to start a thread about it though.

$999 is reasonable considering its diverse content, its quality (which I don't doubt with Nick Phoenix at the helm, and Rare Instruments 1 is VERY good), its increase in size, and how damn hard it is to find these instruments, and then having to PAY these musicians to play these instruments who have the skill set to work them well. I'm sure there was some international sessions in there somewhere too.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

When I saw this, I definitely knew I would want it...

One day.. one day.. I'll wait a year or until the price comes down a bit..

If I was loaded with $$$ I would pre order right away.
Play it by ear

DevonB wrote:I think we need a forum dedicated to people complaining about what's too expensive
YEAH!!!

And here's my first post for the "People Who Don't Have $1000 Sitting Around" dedicated forum:

"Hey, guys -- I'm not rich -- but if I had $1000, I'd sure like to buy that RA library from East West!"

:hihi:

give me a break, dude....

$1000 really isn't that bad for someone who has a job.

But I'm not that person. :(

Actually I find that good samples are nice and all that, but if you're good at sequencing, you can make your samples sound ten times as good. Really, that's what it rounds down to.

$1000 bucks - YIKES! :-o

I'm sure glad I invested in Ethnosphere when I did! :hihi:

Link to info on this one? Just interested in reading about it and couldn't find anything, perhaps I'm being a bit dim.

Return to “Instruments”