DR-008 vs Battery

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry about the wanton thread but I had to report back on this one.

I had been waiting to take the plunge, and muddling by with a *ahem* :oops: "trial" version of Battery. I couln't find a *ahem* :oops: "trial" version of DR-008 to give it a go, but on the advice of this forum, went ahead and dropped the 64 quid on the download version from the fxpansion website.

(what I found hilarious was the 116 quid Turnkey were asking for it :lol: )

... anyway 2 installations ...(didn't ask me for my VST folder so had to install again once I realised what it was going to do) -- and 10 minutes of playing with it and..

WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING even considering Battery? OK it comes with a sample library, but how much of that am I going to use? for less than half the price DR-008 wipes the floor with Battery.

Not only that, but I had been having pop, click, and dropped sample problems with Battery, even setting "Old host behaviour". I'm glad to see the back of it.

Anyway thanks to all those who ever posted a recommendation for DR-008 on this board, and a hearty recommendation from me to anyone else wondering which one to get.
:D [/list]

lindseyp wrote:Sorry about the wanton thread but I had to report back on this one.

I had been waiting to take the plunge, and muddling by with a *ahem* :oops: "trial" version of Battery. I couln't find a *ahem* :oops: "trial" version of DR-008 to give it a go, but on the advice of this forum, went ahead and dropped the 64 quid on the download version from the fxpansion website.

(what I found hilarious was the 116 quid Turnkey were asking for it :lol: )

... anyway 2 installations ...(didn't ask me for my VST folder so had to install again once I realised what it was going to do) -- and 10 minutes of playing with it and..

WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING even considering Battery? OK it comes with a sample library, but how much of that am I going to use? for less than half the price DR-008 wipes the floor with Battery.

Not only that, but I had been having pop, click, and dropped sample problems with Battery, even setting "Old host behaviour". I'm glad to see the back of it.

Anyway thanks to all those who ever posted a recommendation for DR-008 on this board, and a hearty recommendation from me to anyone else wondering which one to get.
:D [/list]
You did the right thing. I have tried many over the years, including Battery, and DR-008 tops them all in my book. When you get used to it, it's actually fun to program it. I can call up all kinds of kits that I have stored - everything from complete orchestral percs to standard trap sets -- all tuned up and ready to go. One of the best VSTi's I have ever purchased. 8)

You do know that dr-008 has a huge library don't you? Contact FXpansion for access to the kit library and be prepared to hammer your internet connection - 100's of megs of stuff

Shortcircuit beats them both for drum mangling, and can also do instrument sampling too.

8) 8)

blah
Last edited by splattabreakz on Tue May 28, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
galaxy rayyys! powerful.

blah
Last edited by splattabreakz on Tue May 28, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
galaxy rayyys! powerful.

As far as I can tell, you could program a fully chromatic instrument with DR-008 if you so wished. First of all you can have a separate sample per key, or use one sample per block with pitch shift, then you can use the quad sampler for multi-sampled velocities.

Not that I'd ever spend that amount of time over using something like sampletank, but the fact that it can be done makes me smile.

I have found the DR-008 kits to be more than enough. First of all, there's over 3 GB of kits in all kinds of styles. Try finding a 3 GB drum sample library for the price of DR-008. But you also get a great flexible interface with lots of options. Truly top class.

Koolkeys

Is there no demo version on the site ?
Cant seem to find it
Simple and repetive are my middle names

Still kicking myself for not getting in on the $50 deal on DR-008 a few months back...

Looks like the only place you can get this now is direct from FXpansion. MF lists it as Discontinued. Other online retailers don't list it at all. Does anybody know what the deal is? Will this be replaced by something or is BFD it for Fxpansion now?

Angus?

edit
Last edited by Alfalfa on Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yeah but from what I've read the price cannot compete...drum 9 will cost more than twice dr-008, I think.

Drum Nine -> Still in the works. Did you see our announcement about GURU? That's the more-affordable integrated beatbox we've been hinting at of late... it's very cool indeed. I'll post a comparison of the two at some point.. feel free to ask anything.
:?:

Tom

There aren't any more boxed copies of DR-008 in the online stores... it never really caught on at retail til MF started blowing them out at $50. You can still pick it up at the FXpansion online store for $99.

Our new beatbox GURU (developed by the Devine Machine guys) will go for similar money to what DR-008 originally did.. Drum 9 will indeed cost a lot more, but you're getting multiple DVDs' of content from some top names, not to mention 3 years' worth of R&D. GURU is easier to learn and in some ways quicker to get results with than DR-008 or Drum 9.
This account is dormant, I am no longer employed by FXpansion / ROLI.

Find me on LinkedIn or elsewhere if you need to get in touch.

Return to “Instruments”