How Do You Try Out a New Instrument?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just wondering. Here's what I usually do:
Insert it into a blank project and press CTRL+R to create a random pattern. Then I copy the pattern to the next slot and slow it down 50%. In pattern A3 I place a 4 bar note at A4. Then I have three different patterns to audition the presets with. This will usually give me a good idea of how it sounds, assuming that the presets do it justice. If any of the patches interest me I will attempt to tweak them a little to see what extra I can squeeze out. If I can't find any inspiring patches at all [or sometimes even if I can] I will attempt to make a squelchy bass sound based on an existing bass patch. If I still haven't found anything useful, that's it - its gone from my HDD.
Stage 2 is to try to work it into an existing song. If I can do that and am happy with the results, it usually becomes a keeper.
Last edited by BONES on Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I thaught yer music sounded a bit like it was generated by a puter
:D :D :P :P :D :D

couldn't resist..

Anyways...
I usually Fire it up and Play it with my keyboard ....
An instrument has to feel good to me for me to like it :-)
Paul

I setup a 16 or 32 'note' loop in orion.. and play C's

C6 C5 C4 and C3 for 4 notes each.. sometimes I also do the same thing but with on or two note length a peice..

then I cycle through sounds..

when I come to one I like.. I switch to a different pattern based on if its lead bass pad or fx.. and try it out further..

usually I end up including other notes and layering more sounds.. and it eventually comes to be a minisong :hihi:

manytone wrote:Anyways...
Paul
ditto

but the real question here is
how many you's would a you do you
if a you do could do you?

I really should plug my K in but I just can't be arsed.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

manytone wrote:I thaught yer music sounded a bit like it was generated by a puter
:D :D :P :P :D :D
Hey smart-arse, we work f**king hard to get that feel.

Bones wrote:You Do You Try Out a New Instrumet?
i was trying to think it was japanese or something, but tbh i suppose it's a bit me.
[/quote]
Last edited by xoxos on Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

opiadream wrote:
manytone wrote:Anyways...
Paul
ditto

but the real question here is
how many you's would a you do you
if a you do could do you?
:lol:

here depends
at the moment i even have a midi controller connected... if i just want to try some presets, firup SE and use the qwerty

I test synths by programming patches that I will actually use.

The only unorthodox testing I do is set it to a single ramp/saw wave and listen to how crisp it sounds in all octaves.

Mine's a cross between the BONES and manytone methods. I've got a couple EXT patterns saved that I try a candidate out with- after I've played it for a while. I run through a selection of the presets, and then start to see what I can do with it. If it doesn't do anything for me in a short period of time (usually a half hour or so), I junk it. If it does, I work with it some more over a week or so. Then, I decide whether it's worth investigating further or whether I was stricken with GAS :oops: :lol:
ew
A spectral heretic...

vst Instrument: Usually in minihost unless it is somethinng I would like to try an effect on. Then it would be in eXT. Just play around on the midi controller

vst FX: Load up eXT, plug in my guitar and play. Unless I am feeling lazy. Then I tend to just use 4front piano or bass or some sample based vsti.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

I import it into CMuzys since it imports 1 VST at a time. The program loads up fast and there's no rescanning of the VST folders. I play my controller keyboard with my left hand while my right hand changes the presets. I adjust playing style and range to the preset. I may stop and tweak. I usually just fly through the presets unmoved. But sometimes, I stop and play music. After I'm done playing music, I move that synth to the Tracktion folder. All others go either to the recycle bin or the "strange" folder. Who knows? I may need a strange sound someday.
"Most people who experiment with drugs are not lying in the streets, suffocating on their own vomit. If you want to see some of that, go to the Pub on Saturday night at closing time." ozwest

I look at the GUI.

If I like it, I keep it...

Well, I actually play the keyboard too...
Cause it has too sound nice also!
-- Regards MrM --

Return to “Instruments”