Graintable / Granularity

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

scuzzphut, have you tried Granulab yet?

GranuLab Home Page

That's the only one I ever played with, but it's been a long time ago. It isn't a VST, but it could help you get some ideas of what granular synthesis can do.

take care,
McLilith

Oh yea, and SKnote is working on something:

Top of the line would be crusherX-Live - try the demo but be prepared for a bit of a learning curve. Reaktor is also an excellent option - a few nice granular toys come with the standard library, and there's some wilder stuff in the user library.
There's some nice granular gadgets native to Audio Mulch that illustrate the basics very well.

audiomulch is worthy of way more than a side-note in this thread :D the bubble-blower and granulator contraptions can really get you into how granular stuff works once you've played with them for a bit.

also i made a 'clone' of the bubble-blower contraption in SE as a vst plugin. you can get it from here. it's called GSP (granular sample player)
Kick, punch, it's all in the mind.

thanks for the links and advice, guys (hunter excluded - pissed again, Jim ? :hihi:)
looks like I've got lots to play with :-)

scuzzphut wrote:thanks for the links and advice, guys (hunter excluded - pissed again, Jim ? :hihi:)
looks like I've got lots to play with :-)
Nurse says I'm getting better :D

a little known fact is that you can do granular type stuff with battery 1 (but not 2) just set a loop point and have loop count modulate its start - forward, backwards, whatever. And or/ modulate the loop length by the loop count. try it. IDM style coolness.
come on you ..... lets have some aphex acid.

Plogue software has a free VST available for download called MIXED GRAINS. It's a couple years old but still pretty cool (and easy) to use.

http://www.plogue.com/index.php?option= ... tcat&cat=2

--

Also try Bidule (free to DL -- but time limited) which has some excellent Granular tools available. I highly recommend it!

http://www.plogue.com/index.php?option= ... tcat&cat=1

That's all I seem to talk about these days is Bidule for some reason!

--

I also agree with the others that Reaktor is a very good tool for granular mashups (it's pretty much a must-have piece of software no matter what you do)

There was a thread in the Reaktor forum a few weeks back about how Reaktor's granular capabilities compared with that of other software, so you may want to search the Reaktor forum at http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?forum_us
-JP

Anybody who like the idea of a 3D World RPG where you are in one big spaceroom, filled with granularpoints, and you must approach them trough clicking back and forth on your keyboard, and the sound get's closer the more closer you get to one grain...And alot's of stuff you can just, like how fast you wanna move, and so on.. Imagination is the limit..
I'm a Jugga Nut!

here a detailed how to implement granulation article (pdf) from the mulch man himself... :)
http://www.audiomulch.com/~rossb/rb-gst ... 310801.pdf

and there is a link to source code in here...
http://www.audiomulch.com/~rossb
ModuLR / Radio

Read the whole PDF. PRetty cool but scheduling is really limitless so to even discuss different methods means that you leave some out. Am I a nerd that I think stuff like that is a good bedtime read?
The paper made me want to try and synthisize a complicated natural sound such as a fart from a totally unrelated source like dog barking.

soma wrote:The paper made me want to try and synthisize a complicated natural sound such as a fart from a totally unrelated source like dog barking.
Are you trying to tell us that you have "complicated" farts? :o

Maybe that's information that doesn't need to be shared. :lol:

take care,
McLilith

I have a question about the whole granular synthesis scene. Can someone point me to some online examples of pleasing music that was created with granular synthesis? I mean, I get the impression that granular is primarily used in a similar manner as "bit reduction" -- to "break up" or "mangle" an existing sound. I've yet to hear any really good examples of someone actually constructing some nice pleasing instrument sounds with granular synthesis. I have to admit that I'm not too experienced with granular synthesis, but I'd like to make sure that I'm not passing up something that might prove to be really interesting.

thanks,
McLilith

CC4 wrote:Oh yea, and SKnote is working on something:

It looks like the arrow underneath the "player" box on the left is pointing the wrong direction. :wink:

take care,
McLilith

soma wrote:Read the whole PDF. PRetty cool but scheduling is really limitless so to even discuss different methods means that you leave some out. Am I a nerd that I think stuff like that is a good bedtime read?
The paper made me want to try and synthisize a complicated natural sound such as a fart from a totally unrelated source like dog barking.
no worries, I'm the same way. For whatever reason, I dig this stuff... :help: :lol:
ModuLR / Radio

Return to “Instruments”