Deep House Chords..

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for the info so far, ill have a stab at your wah chord Kaipao, nice!

Heres my attempt at a techy deep house number with those staccato filtered chords im struggling with.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=45RMMUEY

As youll see, im not very good, but posting a sample of my own attempts in the context of an arramgement might genereate some more ideas....

Cheers!

kaipao wrote: easyly take 4 saw oscs and tune them this way:
+0 (oct4)
+3 (oct4) minor third
+7 (oct4) fifth
+10(oct3) minor seventh

Sorry for my ignorance...but could you explain it more detailled? Which Ins or VSTi do you use? How do you tune it that way? (I understand the chords and octavesm but dont know the +0, +3.... or what do you do to take 4 saw oscs (oscilators?)). I am using Fruity Loops.

Thanks for taking part in the discusion and share with us you knowledge.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Titu wrote:
kaipao wrote: easyly take 4 saw oscs and tune them this way:
+0 (oct4)
+3 (oct4) minor third
+7 (oct4) fifth
+10(oct3) minor seventh

Sorry for my ignorance...but could you explain it more detailled? Which Ins or VSTi do you use? How do you tune it that way? (I understand the chords and octavesm but dont know the +0, +3.... or what do you do to take 4 saw oscs (oscilators?)). I am using Fruity Loops.

Thanks for taking part in the discusion and share with us you knowledge.

If you use Fruity Loops you can even try whith FL Keys (I'm not sure the name is correct :shock: )

Anyway just using a midi keyboard you press:

C
D#
G
A#
D (optional one octave higher)

Obviously this is a "for example" sound, but once you got this, you can start working on some synths, building your own, and you'll defo find the sound you're looking for...
Obviously you need to work on it a little hard, and dont expect this to be easy, from your question i suppose you're quite a newbie, so you should read something about chords http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chord_(music) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chord_%28music%29) and everything will be easyer...

(just to say, I'm a newbie too, i'm not a music's wise, so I'm more than happy to help you with the little things I've learned 8) )

btw I do personally love:

A-C-E-G chord followed by
G-B-D-F# chord

and so on and on and on and on and on and on and on.....
check it out, it sounds so deep :love:

--> Lexx: wow this sounds great, but if I were you I would keep the filter's cutoff somehow higher, and sidechaining it harder to kick, the groove rocks btw!

and for all those that uses Reason, mind the step sequencer, because it really helps!!
i mean, if you build a nice pad, with great chords, but it still misses the rocky something (not the boxer :P ) you can disable Step Sequencer trigger, edit Curve1, and routing it to affect the filter's frequency, it will sound exxxxxagerate!!!! :)

take a try and let me know!

c ya,
Kai.

ehm... i forgot to say, the Reason pad is made with Thor :-D
Check out my stuff, you might enjoy!!

www.myspace.com/djtokai

and remember that
ITALIANS DO IT BETTER

Not sure about more modern styles, but I think that quite some "classical" house progressions use chords derived from jazz music (as has been said).
Most likely you probably won't hear too much of the classic jazz progressions, though, they're used sparingly. In addition, to me it seems that sometimes simple "modal" changes are used. I think a lot of house stuff further is based on minor signatures. As far as the jazz influence goes, it seems to be a good idea to add all sorts of chord extensions (7ths are almost a must but 9ths, 11ths and 13ths certainly don't harm at all).
For instance, here's a little snipplet:
http://home.arcor.de/s.franck/temp/HouseChords.mp3

The general key signature would be G minor, the root notes of the used chords are G, Bb and C.
For the G, I used a min7/9 chord with the 5th occasionally moving to the 11th.
Same for the Bb - now, in case I stayed 100% in G minor, the Bb would be a Bb major, but I found the "modal interchange" (so it becomes Bbmin7/9) to sound quite plausible in this context.
The C is then a C7/9/sus4, taking us back to G min (which I see as "dorian" mode).

Regards
Sascha
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Sascha Franck wrote:..it seems to be a good idea to add all sorts of chord extensions (7ths are almost a must but 9ths, 11ths and 13ths certainly don't harm at all).
:tu: I concur.
stay juicy!

I came across this application by accident. Now I use it to figure out things, what sounds good, where to go next, etc, when it comes to chord progressions. I think this little tool is indispensable to anyone trying to learn chords, it's shareware and it costs only 5.00 to register it. It's called "All That Chords," and you can download it here. [url]http://o.gortais.free.fr/index.html

Ciao!

I posted a link to similar free app in the 'VST gems from the past thread'

Nut Chords (nc32v120.zip btw)

It works like All That Chords with the ability to detect and display chords for piano and fret but does not have the sequencer arranger thingy.. It does however print out everything to a text file so you can reference your chords and scales etc. Pretty cool little thing ;)
stay juicy!

I'm going to check this out. Thanks.

Ciao!

If the downloaded zip file gives you any problems you should manually extract each file (I had to do that).
stay juicy!

a little bit offtopic but how do these producers create their kicks bass and snares
i think they use a 808 kick sound with a little bit of high pass eq
but about the bass im not sure thought they use a lot of subbass
a tip to create a decent deephouse snare in operator, ms-20 or the minimoog
will be great
thanks

could some1 be good enough to post up some midi file chord progressions for download i know how to get the sound design but i have no idea about chords,,and would like a few to learn and experement with thanks

I had a quick chance to record some more deepish progs and upload the MIDI file for you(z)..

I just recorded it with my controller that has a broken pitch wheel so no bends. I played this in one go so don't expect perfection ;)..

Heres the progression:

C add 9th or G6th sus 4th
Em
Gm 7th or Bb 6th
Bb Maj
Em

Deep House Chords 2 (Audio Demo)
I used MrRay for the chords, Asynth (original mono version) for the bass, VibraphoneTS for the Vibes solo and combined a live drum with a heavy house kick. For effects I used Reverbering and Sworl (on the Rhodes). Thats it.

Deep House Chords 2 (MIDI Download)

Have fun :D!
Last edited by Optomadic on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
stay juicy!

thanks for that ,,,im sure a friend of mine has used that small vocal in 1 of his tracks he he :)

:hihi: Yea its a classic house song I scored in a crate buy. Don't have it in front of me right now but I think it was called Freedom Williams - Voice Of Freedom, Beat Division - Martin Madness or Nu Civilization - Wake Up. I could be wrong though ;)..
stay juicy!

Return to “Sound Design”