horror synthesis

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNWCUv7iZ7U

what would be your approach to create that first metallic sound in this compilation? i seriously have no idea

Bowed waterphone through distortion, delay, and reverb.

Edit: But okay, if you really want to do it with synthesis, I’d run an oscillator through a modulated comb filter and then distortion, delay, and reverb.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

It's all sine waves, really...

deastman wrote:Bowed waterphone through distortion, delay, and reverb.

Edit: But okay, if you really want to do it with synthesis, I’d run an oscillator through a modulated comb filter and then distortion, delay, and reverb.
Exactamundo. I made stuff like this quite easily with Absynth and Synthsquad using this method.
A well-behaved signature.

Funny to see this thread as I'm almost finished a new soundset for ArcSyn which is 100% horror! I've found that continuous randomized modulation, combined with drifting tuning is a good start. Have indeed been using a fair amount of comb filters, as well as a type of randomized granular. Have also been commonly putting the resonance at 100% and carefully modulating the filters around the sweet spots. And playing a lot with frequency shifting by small randomized amounts.

I think it's also important to make sounds that are up-close and personal rather than just washed out darkness. Certain pitch falls, crackles and hollow tones just seem to be naturally creepy. It's an interesting field. Can be a bit like the uncanny valley, there does seem to be a threshold where things just start to feel disturbing.

bbtr wrote:It's all sine waves, really...
Sines, sines, everywhere a sine ...

thanks all of you :)

low_low wrote:
bbtr wrote:It's all sine waves, really...
Sines, sines, everywhere a sine ...
It’s a sine of the times

I spent a whole month going through every midi synth I had, listening trying variation and making notes of the ones I liked that were industrial, horror type of synth's. You would be suprised how many different instruments from drums to flutes, to pads, to percussion that you can find these kind of sounds from with the right effects, and eq

If someone made a Nine Inch Nails Syth library it would sell millions, just sayin

Return to “Sound Design”