jean michel jarre - oxygene IV lead synth... how to??

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

+1
Thanks a lot, this synth and the presets make a very good job.

Taurus wrote:this synth and the presets make a very good job.
While superwave synths are good, they are IMHO far from the best.
You can make the O4 lead trumpet with almost any synth.
Single saw oscillator into a 24dB filter set to low frequency and very low resonance.
Filter env mod amount=about 50%.
Typical trumpetish envelopes:
Filter env A=medium short, D=same as A, S=40% to 60%, R=shorter than A.
Amp env A=short, D=medium, S=60%, R=short.
Tweak to perfection.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

I didn't claim that this synth is the best or even a best. I just said that this synth is an excellent (and very cheap incidentally) way to get tips and tricks of synthesis precisely focused in the discover of excellent clues to learn to approach very closely almost all the most legendary sounds of Jean-Michel Jarre.

If I have correctly understood the question, the goal which has been told was not to discuss names of synths pretended to be the best ones able to reproduce these sounds... it was to ask for good clues to learn how to make personal patches able to approach closely the sounds of Jean-Michel Jarre. It is not the same thing ! The expected answer was not to give names of a dozen of synths and simply tell "this one is good and this one is not", and the goal is even not to discuss the reliability of this or that synth, the question was '"How to make these patches ?". So I replied exactly to the question, giving a clue so that the guy who asked this question can now analyze a very wide bunch of examples precisely made by a developer with that goal in mind. After that, the user has therefore now excellent clues to try to reproduce these patches with other synths if he wants, regard the types of filters, of effects, his personal tastes, etc. The essential is to reply to the question "How to ?". That's all.

Replying "This synth is the best for this or that sound" doesn't reply to the question "How to make these patches to approach these sounds ?".

Replying "Look at the factory presets of this synth and take the time to analyze them" IS the expected answer.

Isn't it ?
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Hey,

I tried to recreate Oxygene 4 only with default reason 5 tools, and a little help of korg minipops and eminent 310U samples.

The brass lead sound was made with the default arp2600 saw wave in reason, and the chorused lead sound was made with thor.

I think I can't do better with reason !

What you think ?

https://youtu.be/SxxuP5vo4O8

Nice, very close replica. :tu:

Its ARP 2600 sound

equistd2k01 wrote:Its ARP 2600 sound
That's exactly what the very first response to this thread was. But "ARP 2600" does not help in recreation of this specific sound. That's what some parts of the other five pages addressed :-P
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Don't see the point of getting it exact, original version is already recorded and released and people can listen to that. It's good sound design practice, sure, but if your doing a cover make it your own. Even if your doing gigs in a Jarre cover band it would be very rare that anyone in the audience would care one little bit it didn't match exactly if they actually could tell. I don't get it and never will, it's obsessive.

Good story bro...

we thought differently way back in 2017...

:D

Yeah... nowadays, we've advanced from the idea of exactly replicating sounds from 1976...

Return to “Sound Design”