2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

well, the main reason why i was interested in Oxi from the start is that i have Pyramid, but don't have a backup sequencer unit.
but just buying another Pyramid is not really interesting.

vurt wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:59 pm
elxsound wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:02 pm
Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:03 am
elxsound wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:32 pm 0-Coast has landed. This should help me tide things over for a bit. There are so many nice bits of their other modules in this thing. It reminds me of getting the tasters from a brewery and all 9 glasses are pretty much the size of a bottle of beer.
Cool for you! and a great analogy! :hihi:
elxsound wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:56 pm I’m gonna shop for blank plates to keep me from the jumping the gun on other modules.
[cue: deadpan voice-over] "... later that day"
elxsound wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:32 pm I ordered the TipTop Audio Fold Processor. I honestly don't know where this module will be long-term, but I got caught up on DivKid's channel, and I really like how this one performed.
so much for the highly coveted "Model of restraint, forum User of the month" award. :wink:
Hahaha... yeah, I hate empty spots and those blanks won't come for another week!

The worst part is that I don't know when MI's Blades will actually be stocked.

I am looking to get Morphagene, but my plan (for now) is another 20HP Pod. It might sound crazy because of the cost for just one, but this does much of what I like in Blooper and I'd like to keep Morphagene portable for recording into and then combining with the other devices on playback. In my head, this works well.

My only goal for the near future is to stay far, far away from a legit rack! Those empty spaces would kill me.
i can use the strega reels from the make noise site in morphagene :D

(not quite the complete experience, but better than a kick in the love spuds)
:hihi: I'm getting my own kick in the spuds with Morphagene. I wish I made up my mind earlier when there were two decent deals for it, but now it's selling for crazy prices! :o

Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:24 am
vurt wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:15 am:hihi:
You noticed how I ever-so poshly showed restraint by not adding "for a tight arse" to the last line there, didn't you? :lol:
Can you guys keep it down a bit, I'm trying to count up change.

My latest purchase...but a long wait

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/oxi- ... controller#/
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Shabdahbriah wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:43 am (thanks to the 'stimulus') :hug:

Something I've wanted since 2018 NAMM:
QB_Scanned.jpg

Two things I've wanted since they came out (respectively):
Qu-Bit_Surface.jpg

Qu-Bit_DataBender.jpg
... and one thing that somehow slipped under my radar until a month or so ago, but is doubtless going to prove 'indispensable'.
maestro.jpg

well pleased. :hyper: :D
you get these yet?

ive been looking at the data bender, wondering how long the buffer is, i should investigate more!
not that anywhere will have it in stock probably :lol:

ghettosynth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:35 pm
Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:24 am
vurt wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:15 am:hihi:
You noticed how I ever-so poshly showed restraint by not adding "for a tight arse" to the last line there, didn't you? :lol:
Can you guys keep it down a bit, I'm trying to count up change.
Noted. I (truly) can relate. :wink:

I meant to post this yesterday, when it was posted, before it became necessary to defend your being 'frugal' (as an admirable quality) :) for those who are on the edge of their stools over the Oxi thingy:

Love the 8x16 grid, but too rich for my meager budget, and the menu diving (like with the SQ-64) is just not something I can acclimate to, any longer. 3x SQ-1's suit my needs.

https://youtu.be/-nXN7ND9ILo
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:31 pm
Love the 8x16 grid, but too rich for my meager budget, and the menu diving (like with the SQ-64) is just not something I can acclimate to, any longer. 3x SQ-1's suit my needs.
This. I'm over "awesome" hardware and especially too clever by half hardware sequencers. There was a time when I would have gone broke buying all of these things.

ghettosynth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:34 pm
This. I'm over "awesome" hardware and especially too clever by half hardware sequencers. There was a time when I would have gone broke buying all of these things.
Precisely. :tu: I can realistically 'budget' for another dedicated 'probability' module, or 'clock-divider/multiplier', etc., which will 'integrate' with and compliment what I have, just fine. Though I do every now and again, look longingly at a KLEE sequencer 'kit'.

I will however, refrain, as I have the software version, and literally dozens of other sequencers I can send out of my computer, if I so choose, via the SQ-1's, or Roland Aira Fx, which is in large part WHY I specifically got them, in the first place. 8)
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

ghettosynth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:34 pm
I'm circumspect about standalone hardware sequencers these days. I always end up preferring the DAW for sequencing. I briefly got excited about the OXI then thought about it more and said no.

I get on fine with my Elektron boxes but they are integrated synth/seq machines and I am not trying to do everything on them.

In terms of feeling comfortable and fluid with a sequencer, Logic with Logic Remote on the iPad works much better than any hardware sequencer I've tried. Everything is visual with a big screen overview and it takes no brain power to have to remember lots of modes, button combos, what other tracks are doing, etc.

vurt wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:19 pm

QB_Scanned.jpg

Qu-Bit_Surface.jpg

Qu-Bit_DataBender.jpg
... and one thing that somehow slipped under my radar until a month or so ago, but is doubtless going to prove 'indispensable'.
maestro.jpg

you get these yet?

ive been looking at the data bender, wondering how long the buffer is, i should investigate more!
Yes, I did receive them. And they is way purdy. :D Am rearranging my rack to accommodate them, so have not played with them yet.

specs: Stereo I/O ... 96kHz sampling rate, 24-bit depth for a minute of stereo sampling time.

Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:25 pm

QB_Scanned.jpg

Qu-Bit_Surface.jpg

Qu-Bit_DataBender.jpg
maestro.jpg

you get these yet?

Yes, I did receive them. And they is way purdy. :D Am rearranging my rack to accommodate them, so have not played with them yet.

specs: Stereo I/O ... 96kHz sampling rate, 24-bit depth for a minute of stereo sampling time.
cool! a minute is great!
i love the freeze on the prism, but its a bit short, as its designed more for comb filtering, but i can get little dj scratches with it :hihi:
using maths to pull a bit of extra slow from it!! 8)

used to have a teaspoon from squarewave parade, really miss that these days, this would cover that and more!

thanks for the info! :tu:

Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:25 pm

QB_Scanned.jpg

Qu-Bit_Surface.jpg

Qu-Bit_DataBender.jpg
maestro.jpg

you get these yet?

I'm happy with Surface. Easy to work with and some lovely sounds.

Maestro is great!

Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:03 am
elxsound wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:32 pm It reminds me of getting the tasters from a brewery and all 9 glasses are pretty much the size of a bottle of beer.
Cool for you! and a great analogy! :hihi:
It just occurred to me that you're near a place I was specifically thinking of that may or may not be worth the trip to you. Boundary Bay in Bellingham. It's been some years since I was there, but I was blown away by their sampler (and a lamb burger, which was crazy delicious). It may have been 7 glasses, but all I know is that it was an odd number and the last one was a dark stout beer that could have been a meal.

I don't even really like beer, but damn that was good stuff.

pdxindy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:48 pm I'm happy with Surface. Easy to work with and some lovely sounds.

Maestro is great!
Yes, I'm excited to play with Surface. I was more impressed with each demo I watched. The immediacy, and variety/scope of sounds, filled a void, and is perfect for my needs. I'd hesitated for a long time, as I have sooo many physical modeling apps, that I could just record, or run direct into the modular (which I still can), but that 'real-knobs' interaction thing finally got to me. Still may also eventually pick up a Plaits clone (or two), as it also has some really lovely sounds... and a 'Rings' clone, or two... :oops: same/same.

I have 'literally' been dreaming of programming, and things to do with the Maestro, since I first saw it. The way they laid out its UI, and ease of accessing/manipulating functions just blew me away. Could not be more thrilled. :love:

Ok, so yes on the Oxi One here, probably wouldn't without the early bird or the VIP thing. Fortunately,
I paid my $1 euro for that, like many early on. :tu:

I fully expected to get it though tbh, the stretch for me, will be when my Cirklon reservation comes up, in about a year and a half :lol:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”