New Roland "DANCE" hardware- AIRA TR-8, TB-3, VT-3, SYSTEM-1

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ingonator wrote:IMO the wrong place to tell people that software is superior to hardware.

Ingo
Never thought I'd hear you say that :hihi:

Anyway, failing these being analogue, I'll still be happy if they have extended specs with ZDFs and running on Creamware-like systems.
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

bronxsound wrote:
as per spec provided on the website it will be standalone va

edit:
ooops they removed it (spec details)
Which specs? If i click on it no new window with details will open. They also write "available in 24 weeks"...

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

cytospur wrote:
Ingonator wrote:IMO the wrong place to tell people that software is superior to hardware.

Ingo
Really? I thought it is obvious i like both software and hardware...

I agree that it would be more amazing if it is real analog. VA would be still interesting but not knock me off my socks. On the other hand it would be nice to hear an emulation from Roland themselves opposing to the many clones by other developers (both soft- and hardware) out there. So far any approaches of Roland seem to be sample based (e.g. the drum machines from Boss). Not sure how far the V-Drums offer modelling but the basic sound seems to be based on samples.

My hope still is that this is real analog, mostly because i hope that they will also offer new real analog synths in the future. The vintage analog synths from Roland seemed to be some of the best out there.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
bronxsound wrote:

edit:
Which specs? If i click on it no new window with details will open. They also write "available in 24 weeks"...

Ingo
a few hours ago there was an actual product page with spec/features/description. but it's been removed. in the spec it was saying this unit is to be standalone instrument categorised as va

Ingonator wrote:
ChiTown24 wrote:
TheoM wrote:So the basic appeal of this would be for the hands on hardware crowd? For those working entirely itb do you think there is anything *sound* wise new Roland re creations of classics could do that we can't do with the massive kontakt libraries available, or the emus from d16 and audiorealism? Of course it's just speculation at this point but I am wondering if those who were willing to take an educated guess would think there could be anything sound wise that we can't do already.
ya, it's mainly for the hands on hardware crowd... live performance types. that's why the faders are a win, and the haters fail to see that because they don't actually perform. but i digress.

soundwise, for someone ITB, I'd say even if this is a 100% analogue beast there's nothing here to really add to your palette. Not just because of all the sample libraries of vintage hardware that already exists, and the quality of ITB vstis, but also because someone will inevitably sample the AIRA TR-08 et al and you'll get access to those sounds anyway - if they're genuinely new sounds {which I'm skeptical about}.

from an ITB point of view, this wouldn't even be on my radar, except for maybe keeping my ear to the ground for sample libraries down the road.
The hardware forum is for people who like hardware. IMO the wrong place to tell people that software is superior to hardware.For drums many people still seem to prefer hardware, even if it's just a controller like e.g. NI Maschine. Just a thought...

As there are no details on the product yet (at least i have not found them yet) any comments are speculations anyway. Based on the picture everything from being a software controller up to a fully analog box seem to be possible...

Ingo
Comprehension fail.

Given the parameters of the QUESTION it was the right ANSWER to give.

A far cry from 'telling' people that software is 'better' than hardware. Give me a break :roll:

bronxsound wrote:
Ingonator wrote:
bronxsound wrote:

edit:

Ingo
a few hours ago there was an actual product page with spec/features/description. but it's been removed. in the spec it was saying this unit is to be standalone instrument categorised as va

I saw it a few hours ago and there was no mention of VA or Analogue. Just that it was 'great sound quality' or something to that affect.
Possible I missed it.
Also possible it wasn't correct...given the nature of placeholders in online retailer websites.

Hope dies last :)

Ingonator wrote:
cytospur wrote:

Ingo

Ingo
I think you missed the firm placement of tongue in cheek there. Nevermind.
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

I saw it a few hours ago and there was no mention of VA or Analogue. Just that it was 'great sound quality' or something to that affect.
That's when you know it's going to be VA.

I gave up getting in heat over Roland aeons ago. As someone already adequately stated, Roland have shown now interest whatsoever in redoing analogue. Probably never will. I think we forget how small a niche market analogue synths are nowadays, and there's probably very little profit, if any, in it for Roland. Ultimately, if we want 303s, we can now get them via x0xb0xes etc. Dunno why 808s are so sought after cos TBH I never found them that good. 909s were excellent machines, but really you can replace them with samples and some subtle FX jiggery-pokery. And then there were those Jomox things.

FOr sure I'd like ROland to reissue things like Jupiters of all types, but really it just isn't going to happen. I can get me some 303 action without breaking the bank nowadays. I already have a 202, but I can still get me some 101/202 action without breaking the bank also. I don't even know why the ITB crowd are even in the discussion, because analogue h/w isn't even in their interest sphere. Not everyone has to like h/w.

I have to say that these days are heaven for analogue people. We again have a great choice, sometimes cheaper in real terms than they used to be back in analogue-only days. I can live without new Roland.

cytospur wrote:
Ingonator wrote:
cytospur wrote:

Ingo

Ingo
I think you missed the firm placement of tongue in cheek there. Nevermind.
Ya, two comprehension fails in a row, he's on a roll. Seems even a laughing emoticon doesn't help get your intentions across.

ChiTown24 wrote: I saw it a few hours ago and there was no mention of VA or Analogue. Just that it was 'great sound quality' or something to that affect.
Possible I missed it.
Also possible it wasn't correct...given the nature of placeholders in online retailer websites.

Hope dies last :)
I guess best is to wait until the official specs are out. So far the only official info available seems to be a few pictures and the box shown in a video.

Anyway as they mention that they "want to take the next step" it could mean it is no strict replication of a TR-808. This is why it is possible it's VA based indeed.

It is possible that you could program it in depth using an editor software (maybe with different models based on different Roland kit) and save the result as presets available from the standalone box (including realtime modifications from the hardware interface).

One thing i find strange about the picture of the TR-8 is that there is no display except maybe a 3 digit display at the right part (like in the old TR). this is a bit against the fact that this should be a "modern" TR-808. It also means that advanced editing should be only possible using a software with the box connected by USB. Except if there is no "advanced editing" of course...

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

My guess is TR-808, TR-909, TB-303, SH-101, RE-201, VT-1 replicas not analog but with "SuperNATURAL®" sound engine plus some Air(a) app for playing, syncing, recording.

ChiTown24 wrote:
Ingonator wrote:
ChiTown24 wrote:
TheoM wrote:So the basic appeal of this would be for the hands on hardware crowd? For those working entirely itb do you think there is anything *sound* wise new Roland re creations of classics could do that we can't do with the massive kontakt libraries available, or the emus from d16 and audiorealism? Of course it's just speculation at this point but I am wondering if those who were willing to take an educated guess would think there could be anything sound wise that we can't do already.
ya, it's mainly for the hands on hardware crowd... live performance types. that's why the faders are a win, and the haters fail to see that because they don't actually perform. but i digress.

soundwise, for someone ITB, I'd say even if this is a 100% analogue beast there's nothing here to really add to your palette. Not just because of all the sample libraries of vintage hardware that already exists, and the quality of ITB vstis, but also because someone will inevitably sample the AIRA TR-08 et al and you'll get access to those sounds anyway - if they're genuinely new sounds {which I'm skeptical about}.

from an ITB point of view, this wouldn't even be on my radar, except for maybe keeping my ear to the ground for sample libraries down the road.
The hardware forum is for people who like hardware. IMO the wrong place to tell people that software is superior to hardware.For drums many people still seem to prefer hardware, even if it's just a controller like e.g. NI Maschine. Just a thought...

As there are no details on the product yet (at least i have not found them yet) any comments are speculations anyway. Based on the picture everything from being a software controller up to a fully analog box seem to be possible...

Ingo
Comprehension fail.

Given the parameters of the QUESTION it was the right ANSWER to give.

A far cry from 'telling' people that software is 'better' than hardware. Give me a break :roll:
You are completely right on this one. Fair is fair.

Sorry Ingo but you are perhaps mis reading what i wrote. The answer was precisely what I was seeking. cheers.

There is a specs tab on that webpage, at least there was.

Virtual analog. Standalone. 10 Analog outputs I think. No inputs. MIDI but no USB. Thats what it said.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

TheoM wrote:
You are completely right on this one. Fair is fair.

Sorry Ingo but you are perhaps mis reading what i wrote. The answer was precisely what I was seeking. cheers.
Given the fact that nobody has a clue about the actual specs or the sound of the final product the post of ChiTown was just wrong as it is based on speculations (except if he knows more than others here and even if he would be a Beta tester he would not be allowed to post details...). I don't see how his post could be really helpful for you. I also don't see how someone else could decide for you if an unreleased product will be worth it to be ckecked out byyou.

It could turn out that the product is crap but it could also turn out that it is awesome (n matter if analog or VA). At the moment this is hard to decide.

The comment about sampling the new product could be dangerous too. I don't know how problematic it would be to sample a new product from Roland but i'm sure it will lead to some trouble, especially if the samples are sold as a commercial product. Even worse if the product itself would be based on samples somehow.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

either way ingo, nobody said software is better than hardware or anything similar.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”