Oberheim/Dave Smith OB-6

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can't believe this hasn't been posted here yet. Looks like Musician's Friend already has the price listed at about $3299 retail and $2999 street.
The OB-6 is a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration between two of the most influential synth designers in history — Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim. It’s an all-analog, 6-voice poly synth with voltage-controlled oscillators, a state-variable filter, and voltage-controlled amplifiers, inspired by Tom’s original SEM design — the bedrock of his legendary 4-voice and 8-voice synthesizers.
Manufactured and sold by Dave Smith Instruments, the OB-6 features six discrete analog voices with two oscillators (plus sub oscillator) per voice, continuously variable waveshapes with triangle, sawtooth, and variable-width pulse waves, X-mod with 2 sources and 5 destination, a 64-step polyphonic step sequencer, dual digital effects that include faithful recreations of Tom’s acclaimed phase shifter and ring modulator, a full-featured arpeggiator, and a powerful, in-your-face, sonic signature like no other instrument.
This analog powerhouse is packed into a four-octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch, making it perfect for stage or studio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFndmSO7OFo
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Age of VST is coming to an end? Oberheim returns, Roland back with an analog modular, Waldorf also with a fantastic looking eurorack keyboard, and Arturia all over the place... wife will not be happy.

(also note the total absence of any VSTi announcements)

kool, strange that he'd put it out so soon after the prophet 6 though ?

.jon wrote:Age of VST is coming to an end?
Not really, just age of good effects mounted on good analogs coming to a start. :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

is there any audio?

pdxindy wrote:is there any audio?
There is, but it'll make you sell a kidney. Promise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdnh0C3UpRQ

pdxindy wrote:is there any audio?
Yeah, 25 minutes or so in the video I posted in the OP. :phones:

tehlord wrote: There is, but it'll make you sell a kidney. Promise.
Or, at least, a Nord Lead 4. :hihi:

Just kidding, but if this thing gets released in module format, I may have to break my "no more synths never" rule....again. :dog:

.jon wrote:Age of VST is coming to an end? Oberheim returns, Roland back with an analog modular, Waldorf also with a fantastic looking eurorack keyboard, and Arturia all over the place... wife will not be happy.

It's more like the end of hardware devs making all encompassing gear like Motif or Fantom for barroom entertainers

As far as I know Neither Oberheim, DSI or Roland has made many if any VST's directly?

To each his own. I don't like the sound color, also don't see why it would be any better than common VSTs :shrug: . Also it looks ugly and controls are so dark.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Numanoid wrote: It's more like the end of hardware devs making all encompassing gear like Motif or Fantom for barroom entertainers

As far as I know Neither Oberheim, DSI or Roland has made many if any VST's directly?

Motifs and Fantoms will still outsell this 10/1

Yamaha just launched Montage so the juggernaut synth is still a force to reckon with I must admit :borg:

Numanoid wrote:
.jon wrote:Age of VST is coming to an end? Oberheim returns, Roland back with an analog modular, Waldorf also with a fantastic looking eurorack keyboard, and Arturia all over the place... wife will not be happy.

It's more like the end of hardware devs making all encompassing gear like Motif or Fantom for barroom entertainers

What I mean is that there's more new analog synths released these days than new VST synths.

.jon wrote:What I mean is that there's more new analog synths released these days than new VST synths.
A handful for analogs for NAMM can hardly be compared to production of VSTis, I can't even keep up with the output of free VSTi's anymore, it's like being snowed down

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”