A slide curved as fretboard radius - does it exist?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

The DIY is bottleneck, I guess, but usually too curved.

But did no vendor target having the slide curved as fretboard radius?

Lapsteel and similar are completely flat, maybe, but any normal guitar has a fretboard radius.

Preparing to use a guitar exclusively for slide work, I guess you do it with a flat bridge and really high string action.

I think the optimal would be getting clean tone if slide had the same curvature, or?

Did you see any such slide?
Sold as for 12", 10" radius or similar.

Thanks.

EDIT: Seems the word is "concave".
Dunlop 227 but just medium 19mm inner diameter.
Dunlop 232 Harris has some curvature.

Otherwise www.daddyslide.com is one place which has custom ordering. 9.5", 12" and 16" or probably to get what you want.

lfm wrote: I think the optimal would be getting clean tone if slide had the same curvature, or?

EDIT: Seems the word is "concave".
Dunlop 227 but just medium 19mm inner diameter.
Dunlop 232 Harris has some curvature.

Otherwise http://www.daddyslide.com is one place which has custom ordering. 9.5", 12" and 16" or probably to get what you want.
Interesting, I hadn' t known about these. IME the optimal way to get clean tone with slide is damping with fingers behind the slide and with your picking hand/fingers.

Agree it's crucial with damping thingy. Especially on 5th, 7th and 12th fret having natural harmonics.

With acoustics string guage is heavier and action a bit higher as well - so no real problem with radius and straight slides work well. On top of that flatter radius usually on acoustics as well - 15" or 16" is common on Martin and Taylor.

But with electric guitar not setup only for slide with heavier strings and action - I find it really hard not to hit fretwires on middle strings when getting clean tone on edge. Curious to see if curved slide fix that.

I bought a used guitar once - that had a severe dent in all fretwires on second string for some reason. Guess it was used heavily for slide work. A skilled luthier fixed that for me, without refretting all together.

I got a Dunlop 232 Harris - and curvature is 16". It does not say anywhere, but that is what I found.
So pretty much ideal if having guitar 15-16" like Martin and Taylor.

But think it matters less for so flat fretboards, I guess.

When 9.5" ir 12" it matter much more I think, especially on guitars with light guage strings where resistance is less than on typical guage for acoustics.

Here's a Slide that's designed for Guitars w/ a Radiused Fretboard called a "Dished Guitar Slide". It's like a Regular Guitar slide that has had the middle portion of it compressed w/ Rollers.

lfm wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:12 pm I got a Dunlop 232 Harris - and curvature is 16". It does not say anywhere, but that is what I found.
So pretty much ideal if having guitar 15-16" like Martin and Taylor.

But think it matters less for so flat fretboards, I guess.

When 9.5" ir 12" it matter much more I think, especially on guitars with light guage strings where resistance is less than on typical guage for acoustics.
Nowadays I use a Magnesium Slide which allows for lighter strings & lower action as it's the lightest weight slide they make.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”