Help me choose a new 88 key controller/keyboard (NI S88 MK2 v SL88 Grand or others?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all,

Recently my MPK88 (which I wasn't a huge fan of, but it did have a lot of options) bit dust, with the USB housing coming loose. So i'm looking to get another 88 key hammer action keyboard. I'm looking for something that feels good playing, and have tentatively arrived at potentially the Studiologic SL88 grand (which I think is TP40 Wood Fatar Keybed, so supposed to feel good) and NI's S88 MK2.

I have not been able to try either in a local shop near me, so that's unfortunate; from what I have read and inferred, here's what I've gathered on each:

STUDIOLOGIC SL88 GRAND:

Pros
  • it sounds like the SL88 Grand might be more of a realistic feel than the S88 MK2, and the SL88 Studio.
  • I also like the idea of the 'joystick' modulation and expression controllers, but have not tried anything other than mod wheel in practice
Cons
  • Simple - not a lot of extra features (not necessarily a bad thing) - no built in Kontakt/DAW integration from what I understand?
NATIVE INSTRUMENTS S88 MK2:

Pros
  • a lot of great integration. I use Cubase and NI Komplete Ultimate, so it seems like a great choice
    lighting zones that would help realize range and keyswitches, and screen and controls that would help spend less time 'clicking' on the computer.
Cons
  • reviews on the keybed seems....mixed? Kind of a question mark here without being able to try it in-person
  • a lot of potential parts to break down the road?
Anyone tried both and/or have either and can give good input? My biggest two questions, I'm not sure can easily be answered:
    Would the S88 MK2 'fit' my workflow? Anyone that got the S88 find they got used to using the keyboard to enhance their workflow and found it a positive? Since i'm pretty new to this, I think it would be a pro, as I'm not so 'used' to a certain workflow yet
      Not really sure on either action. Anyone disappointed on the MK2's action?

Other thoughts? Anything I haven't considered, or other controllers I should look at?

Cheers!

I've been contemplating on getting a NI S88 mk2. But decided not to get one.

The light guide is helpful. But I'm thinking that if you are using the instruments a lot you will know where the key switches are (this will happen quite quickly I imagine) and what the key switches do eventually ( I don't think this is visible from the controller?).

About the screens. I have a push with the screens so it is kind of similar, but I find it's easier and quicker for me to just use the mouse for certain things. This might be different when performing live and it's possibly more useful there.

And remember that you can usually create your own mappings for the controller to work with the daw. So it might not be out of the box integration, but a lot of things should normally be possible.

Blaster wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:05 pm I've been contemplating on getting a NI S88 mk2. But decided not to get one.

The light guide is helpful. But I'm thinking that if you are using the instruments a lot you will know where the key switches are (this will happen quite quickly I imagine) and what the key switches do eventually ( I don't think this is visible from the controller?).

About the screens. I have a push with the screens so it is kind of similar, but I find it's easier and quicker for me to just use the mouse for certain things. This might be different when performing live and it's possibly more useful there.

And remember that you can usually create your own mappings for the controller to work with the daw. So it might not be out of the box integration, but a lot of things should normally be possible.
      What do you use instead?

I'm still on the fence of what to get exactly, if anything at all at this point. I'm not a trained piano player so I don't really have a "need" for a hammer action keyboard. 88 keys would be preferable for me because of key switches in kontakt instruments for example and eventually learn to play some songs in a more live way.

But it all depends on your workflow and how you want to work and where your keyboard is going to be (mine would be between computer keyboard/mouse and the computer screen since I will not use it daily so screens on a midi controller would make less sense).

I'm thinking about a Roli seaboard block and get more in the future so I eventually get to 88 keys or just a basic 88 key semi-weighted keyboard controller with not a lot of extra's.
      Last edited by Blaster on Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have the same question. I love the light guide, but I also don't need the whole complete integration and screens. I just want to use it for kontakt instruments.

Would love to hear more opinions from people that have good experiance using the light guide with kontakt. Is it a game changer?

Delayed response, but picked up the S88 Mk2

whiskers wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:22 am Delayed response, but picked up the S88 Mk2
      How are you finding it ?

I'm thinking of either Mk2 or Arturia KeyLab 88, although I'm swaying more towards keylab as it has hammered keys along with knobs and faders I'll likely get more use out than the fancy screen on the Mk2

Both are good choices. I went with the original S88 about a year and a half ago and have not regretted it. My only reservation was going from mod wheels to ribbons--but in practice ribbons are fine. The version 2 S88 is, I believe, back to wheels, which is nice. NI Ultimate integration is also nice, but not essential for me. More important is the key bed feel which is great. And, it also includes aftertouch which is not standard on most weighted boards.

Cheers
      -B
      Berfab
      So many plugins, so little time...

Digivolt wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:23 pm
      whiskers wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:22 am Delayed response, but picked up the S88 Mk2
      How are you finding it ?

I'm thinking of either Mk2 or Arturia KeyLab 88, although I'm swaying more towards keylab as it has hammered keys along with knobs and faders I'll likely get more use out than the fancy screen on the Mk2
      It's pretty good. Solid build quality, love the feel of the controls. I do wish there were faders and an XY pad however. The keys feel pretty good but it took me some getting used to then. it's a little heavier than my old keyboard (which was admittedly not very good), but I initially thought the action felt a little spongy. I don't know if that's the most accurate assessment now, and I've quickly gotten used to it. my biggest gripe would probably be about the software you have to run in order to control the keyboard. maschine software is not very polished. That being said, on the hardware level, the keyboard's great. I love the ability for native DAW control.

Light guide's alright but not super important. Hope it helps

You should try the Hammer 88. For the money, it's pretty good. I grew up playing a Kawai baby grand. The Hammer 88's feel is heavier, but I got use to it in a couple of weeks.

When I was looking a couple of years ago, the only other serious board with aftertouch was the Akai. Came very close to getting it, but placement of the controls and mod wheels was physically a bit difficult. But the touch was very natural as I recall.
      Berfab
      So many plugins, so little time...

I was coming from the Akai and was not a huge fan. Great features but not a great keybed

whiskers wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:01 pm Hope it helps
      Yes thanks, on further research it seems like Mk2 is the best sub £1k 88 key, reviews for Arturia suggest it isn't very well made.. but I think personally for me, the lights & the screen being worthless for me come at too much of premium. I was comparing A61 vs S61 prices and the screen add likes £300 :neutral: and all that wasted space to the left & right of screen which could be filled with faders & knobs and pads just seems a missed opportunity for NI

So I think I might just go with a Nektar T6 61 key and wait until somebody makes an 88 key under £1k with the features I want :hihi:

Or maybe I'll have learnt enough audio electronics by then to create my own and dominate a clear opportunity in the market

Digivolt wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:49 pm
      whiskers wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:01 pm Hope it helps
      Yes thanks, on further research it seems like Mk2 is the best sub £1k 88 key, reviews for Arturia suggest it isn't very well made.. but I think personally for me, the lights & the screen being worthless for me come at too much of premium. I was comparing A61 vs S61 prices and the screen add likes £300 :neutral: and all that wasted space to the left & right of screen which could be filled with faders & knobs and pads just seems a missed opportunity for NI

So I think I might just go with a Nektar T6 61 key and wait until somebody makes an 88 key under £1k with the features I want :hihi:

Or maybe I'll have learnt enough audio electronics by then to create my own and dominate a clear opportunity in the market
      Saw a vpc1 on sale at G.S. for 1k.

Thought about getting a digital piano with action you like and getting a separate control surface?

If you don't need the extra features and you just need a good keybed look at digital pianos as Casio px160, Roland FP20, Kawai es Line and Yamaha p115, you could save some bucks for another controller. And all those brands have very good key action, personally I like it more than fatar
      dedication to flying

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”