Budget Audio Interface

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dear All

I'm looking for a budget audio interface.

My m-audio fast track pro died after 10 years and looking for a temporary replacement now. Minimum requirements are,

1. 1 Mic/Ins Input
2. 48V Phantom power
3. Windows 10 support
4. Headphone output (Not using monitors now as I'm in a different location for some time)

Can you please suggest any under 100 USD.

My options are,

1. Behringer U-Phoria UM2
2. Swamp 3 Channel Mixer Audio interface

Thanks,
Sarin

depends on HOW you are using it, but ESI works for me.

Zoom U-22 is only $70 at amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-U-22-Handy- ... way&sr=8-3

I've had a U-24 for a while and I really like it - very quiet and great low latency performance. It's $109 at amazon but if you only need one input, the U-22 should do the job. Both can run on batteries, too, and are designed for portability.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Umc 202 hd
Hell they are using a Cirrus Logic, CS4272-CZZ
And a XMOS usb controller

I think that's enough said for a cheap audiophiles dream
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

I actually used to use the Behringer U-Phoria UM2 - still have it, though it's been largely unused since I got a NI Komplete Audio 6. Had a positive experience with it overall. Only downside I can think of is that it only has one set of outputs (RCA), which is the main reason I upgraded to the Komplete Audio 6.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

How about Stenberg UR12 or Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6? Found used ones for sale under $100.

Zoom model above or one of these : https://www.zzounds.com/item--TASUSIX2CU?siid=228980

best of luck
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

AsPeeXXXVIII wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:33 pm I actually used to use the Behringer U-Phoria UM2 - still have it, though it's been largely unused since I got a NI Komplete Audio 6. Had a positive experience with it overall. Only downside I can think of is that it only has one set of outputs (RCA), which is the main reason I upgraded to the Komplete Audio 6.
Why would you need more than one set of outputs?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

sarincv wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:36 am Dear All

I'm looking for a budget audio interface.

My m-audio fast track pro died after 10 years and looking for a temporary replacement now. Minimum requirements are,

1. 1 Mic/Ins Input
2. 48V Phantom power
3. Windows 10 support
4. Headphone output (Not using monitors now as I'm in a different location for some time)

My options are,

1. Behringer U-Phoria UM2
2. Swamp 3 Channel Mixer Audio interface

Thanks,
Sarin
I have a positive experience with the presonus audiobox 96 which I bought B stock for 80€. It has a solid metal case and the knobs feels good. + it got midi I/O. I was really suprised with all the free software that came with it. Some are really usefull.

sarincv wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:25 pm How about Stenberg UR12 or Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6? Found used ones for sale under $100.
The UR12 is available new below 100 as well: https://www.thomann.de/de/steinberg_ur1 ... de4b43c696

Note though that it only has chinch outputs, which means that you need adapter cables when you want to plug in monitors. If you only listen through headphones, that won't matter, of course. It's a good solid interface, i have one here. Works fine on Windows 10, even though i needed to reinstall the driver after some of the half yearly big updates for Win 10. Not sure why.

I use an extra pair of outs for monitor mix. Some want them to make it more convenient to re-record through some kind of outboard gear. An extra pair of inputs are equally useful. I'm not that bothered about mic preamps built in. I have plenty of preamps & I wish more models would leave those out in favour of more channels.

Last time I looked, the ESI Maya44 seemed to have the best features/price for my own needs. For tighter budgets and basic function, that UM2 is probably hard to beat.

BONES wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:28 pm
AsPeeXXXVIII wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:33 pm I actually used to use the Behringer U-Phoria UM2 - still have it, though it's been largely unused since I got a NI Komplete Audio 6. Had a positive experience with it overall. Only downside I can think of is that it only has one set of outputs (RCA), which is the main reason I upgraded to the Komplete Audio 6.
Why would you need more than one set of outputs?
You necessarily won't, as long as you pick a set of monitors with inputs to match. Not every speaker has RCA connectors, for instance.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

Cheaper to buy the right cables for your interface/speakers than limit your choices to compatible sockets/ports.

sarincv wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:36 am1. 1 Mic/Ins Input
2. 48V Phantom power
3. Windows 10 support

Hi Sarin,

I can wholeheartedly recommend the M-Audio M-Track 2x2, which is currently available for ~ USD 90 at a big US internet book store.
I have the 2x2m (under Win10) which uses the same parts to my knowledge, and I was just a few days ago suprised again by how great it sounds when recording.

All the best.

BONES wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:21 pm Cheaper to buy the right cables for your interface/speakers than limit your choices to compatible sockets/ports.
Dunno. It easily becomes annoying when you always have to order some exotic cables or adapters. E.g. i just don't understand why the Steinberg UR12 only has chinch outputs. Does anyone audiophile really use chinch cables for his monitors? For serious studio work, i mean.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”