Studio furniture

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Fark me, I am so jack of crap made furniture. I tried sliding my cheap arse Ikea desk a couple of feet across the carpet and I could feel all the dowels that hold it together starting to give...fortunately it didn't collapse but it was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. I gave been doing a lot of woodwork lately for my Missus' spinning wheel restoration business...so it is time to say furk it and bite the bullet.

I am going to design and build my studio from the ground up to accomodate all my gear and allow flexibility into the future, but most of all with mechanical strength and longevity. I cannot understand why we so often spend shitloads on gear and then settle for wobbly cheap arse crap to rest it upon.

cptgone wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:11 am @ chaosWyrM : looks nice and handy, did it come with the titled shelves or did you add those?
those are the shelves it comes with. well....it doesnt really "come" with any shelves. its a customizable ikea system...so you buy the unit, and then buy however many of the types of shelves you need individually. but yes...those shelves are specifically made for that unit. as you can see (or maybe you cant), i have space for 4 more shelves. they are not height or angle adjustable though, the shelves just kinda sit on the rails....which doesnt matter to me at all, but might bother some. the setup i have cost $250, which is considerably less expensive than dedicated synth racks for that amount of room for hardware. not to mention its more stable and more compact (less sq.ft on the floor)....the only real downsides are its not at all portable, and many synths are too large to fit on the shelves. i have a virus indigo (the largest piece of gear i have) all by itself on one, it fits just fine...but no real room for anything else on there. something like a matrixbrute wont fit at all.

its the elvarli shelf system. just the free standing shelf unit, with 4 shoe rack shelves on it, again with room for 4 more shelves if i wanted:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69157475/

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50317290/
ImageImageImage

jacqueslacouth wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:26 am I cannot understand why we so often spend shitloads on gear and then settle for wobbly cheap arse crap to rest it upon.
could it be that we spent all our $$ on the gear itself, and now dont have any for what is usually pretty expensive highly specialized furniture?

a rickety looking tiny studio desk that isnt really much better quality than an ikea desk starts at like $600 (im lookin' at you output). using ikea pieces...i fashioned a studio desk thats nearly 3x the size for less than half the $$. and it wont ever fall apart because gravity holds it together. 3 free standing drawer units with 2 (very large) desk surfaces sitting on top and a little riser with drawers. easy peasy. no muss no fuss, wont ever fall apart, looks neat and clean, is huge, and didnt break the bank.

dont get me wrong, id love a real dedicated studio desk and synth stands and all...but for what is available for the price...its just not viable.

heres the full desk pieced together from ikea, the bare side is used for my gf to work from home on her computer from time to time...but mostly is a set up area for hw my friends bring over. the whole setup, desk and synth shelves, cost less than what just a tiny desk usually costs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImageImage

+1 for ikea! I use a Kallax workstation for my tabletop boxes and as storage for cables and stuff. It's really sturdy and fits my needs perfectly.

I really like what you have both done with those shoe stands. Gives me some ideas. I've also been looking at then possibilities of the Hejne and Ivar storage systems.

I always keep a spare tabletop handy, that can be put on a keyboard stand. Convenient if I need more desk space in the studio or if we need an extra dining table when we have company over! Nice and stable with a double-braced stand.

That said, I recently got an Argosy Halo.K sit-to-stand desk and it's nice to have a desk that was designed with music gear in mind. It was expensive but definitely worth it.

Those Ikea desks look a lot more sturdy than my keyboard stands. I'm in the process of changing stuff out / rearranging my home setup, and getting my 2nd tier stand stuff onto a desk or shelf is high priority. Just sayin' as another point of view -- even a rickety Ikea table, will beat a 2nd tier tightened down with a couple of set screws... and when you're balancing a expensive stuff... oy.
IMG_9198.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cptgone wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:15 am Just stumbled upon a keyboard stand that looks even better suited for the job (much wider though):
https://www.thomann.de/be/jaspers_6d_150s.htm

That should fit 12 x Behringer PB1000 = space and power for 144 to 168 pedals.
Just think of all the pedals and patch cables I could justify buying :help:
Some of us are pretty nuts over Jaspers Stands. Those things are the BOMB!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Jaspers ... sersGroup/

I was lucky to get some good studio furniture for free.

My wife's best friend is an accountant for a company that was expanding its business, and she knew that some of their office furniture could be replaced during the move as its full value had been amortized. Long story short - I gained some professional office furniture (solid wood - took 3 people to move all the pieces upstairs at my house) that is perfect for everything that isn't free standing already (my piano and the keyboard I have on a Z stand).

i need a new chair.

vurt wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:57 pm i need a new chair.
I got one of these. The instructions leave to be desired, as does the cushioning - but I'm quite happy with it, considering the price.
https://www.bax-shop.be/nl/merchandise- ... ntage-logo

(My main seating is an electric bed: my cats love to sleep on my lap, and my back used to kill me lying in a sofa)

stools i have!
they're good for certain things, but for hours editing n shit hunched over the keyboard, im looking for some "medically approved back support" type arrangement.

electric bed :o
mines clockwork :cry:

vurt wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:57 pm electric bed :o
mines clockwork :cry:
One has to keep up with the times. Electric bicycles, electric mistresses... I'm saving for an electric chair.

Same....problem is, being the fat bastard I am, all the nice budget jobbies down at Officworks will not last very long at all with my Bargearse and gravity conspiring to destroy them. I mean FFS, in this day and age how can 100kg be a legitimate max weight limit on chairs? :x

jacqueslacouth wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:55 pm
Same....problem is, being the fat bastard I am, all the nice budget jobbies down at Officworks will not last very long at all with my Bargearse and gravity conspiring to destroy them. I mean FFS, in this day and age how can 100kg be a legitimate max weight limit on chairs? :x
Ditto, but I want a stool of some sort to sit on and play guitar and reach my pedal board when I don't feel like standing. My weight fluctuates a little either side of 200lbs, but so many variable height stools/drum thrones, etc have a weight limit of 200lbs, or they just slip from their locked position over time.

DJMaytag wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:53 am Some of us are pretty nuts over Jaspers Stands. Those things are the BOMB!
My pedalitis has turned out to be the mere onset of a full blown mid life crisis, as I started to buy synths. Hardware synths :oops:

I glued some pieces of wood together to fit my Stepkey and Boog in, but I had no shelve space left to store that contraption on, out of the way. So I bought a discounted Jaspers, which now houses Neutron, Boog and StepKey, audio interface and ADAT i/o, finally a handy Korg MIDI controller.
2 supports left, if they weren't screwed tight they'd wave at me, "buy gear buy gear buy gear"...

The Jaspers is easy to set up and looks quite sturdy (the main bars are connected by side bars at the base, unlike Jaspers' cheaper range). As the black version would have cost more, I got one with a silver finish, and I find it pretty. The Jaspers' main advantages to me include adjustability and leg room. Should have bought 2 ;)

+1 for Jaspers stands. I got one earlier this year ... It holds 4 of my synths, with room for 2 more. My main desk is an old Ikea one.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”