Is it Honestly True That Access Virus = VSTI's

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"Objectively better sound", I need to remember that. :) So true though. But, objectively sounding better is the enemy of subjectively sounding better. Bandlimited oscillators or aliasing can very well contribute to sound character.

As you say, it seems to be pretty difficult to emulate and nail a certain sound character. I can't really judge about Viper, as I lack the option to A/B with a real Virus. It left me a bit disappointed though, as I expected it to sound more to my liking. Dunno why really, but, I just found it sounds unspectacular. With Spire e.g., I fire it up, hit a note, and immediately have a (for me) sweet sound. That just doesn't happen with Viper for me. I always feel like I have to add EQ and fx there. Which is obviously what you'd do anyway. :) But, I don't really feel like I have to do that on other synths.

The Virus is just a good instrument... very interactive and responsive, fun to program and rewarding to the ears. It isn't magical but I think the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I won't argue that you can't get that sound using other means but it is well voiced and responds like an instrument.

Unfortunately it was about 6 years between when I sold my Virus TI Snow and when I got Viper, so hard to judge how close they are exactly. Viper sounds pretty darn close to how I remember my Snow sounding, though it's more like a Virus C+ than a Virus TI emulation. The Virus never sounded mind blowing out of the box to me, it was more about how easily it would slot into a mix no matter what type of sound you use it for. The inherent limitations like the built-in low cut and lack of high-end harshness in the oscillators might have contributed to that.
Spire is obviously inspired by the Virus as well, but it's quite different in many ways. Same with Serum and Rapid (got to pick that up sometime, seems the dev is always listening and improving it).

I own Viper and a Virus Snow. I think calling Viper a joke is not very fair or even truthful. It is a competent emulation, feels familiar and I like the sound. It is not a perfect emulation of the virus parts it emulates, not to mention the parts it does not emulate. (Formant complex synthesis being a very important and unique part of the synth engine of the newer Virii)

I am quite sure I have yet to explore 50pct of what the Virus can do, and what I can do sound design wise. You can get some very good sounds from Viper, that sound similar to a Virus and sound good in its own right.

I still open the Virus when I need precisely what a Virus can offer and that is usually in every piece of music I make. It has a rawness that works for a lot of music, the workflow of the virus is a bit of a pain but that is a call you make whether it is worth it. A little inconvenience (some even call that part of the fun) never stopped people using modular synths and other awkward/unreliable hardware. Compared to that, the Virus hardware is a dream.

What I don't like about a Virus is that it's sound is too distinctive a lot of the time and everyone seems to use the same presets, which makes it even easier to pick. It's a great sound, for sure, but I am pretty much over it. Their instruments are also absurdly expensive here in Australia so I never really considered one.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The virus algorythms are limited by the DSP avaiable in the HW. VST's have the advantage of using new and more powerful CPU's, some developers take advantage of this and have made stuff that uses more complex and demanding algos delivering more analog like filters, less aliasing in high frequencies and less artifacts in OSC and high rate modulation.

Does the Virus has its own character from its own algos and implementation, of course it has, but it isn't like it has been used to death anyway (in the trance genre specially in cliche ways).

I don't personally think it is worth to invest the money on one, there is different hardware to be explored out there.
dedication to flying

The virus is the only hardware synth I use (have a Nova and a Nord Rack both unused) and personally I would not entertain any other synth hardware. I am over hardware synths since more than 2 decades ago, the virus is an exception to that. Had my fair share of analogues going out of tune, digitals with chips that go bad, poor MIDI timing etc. none of which I am nostalgic for. I put up with the Virus (notoriously buggy control over USB) as it has VSTi GUI type control and of course the unique and we can say classic sound. I use a mouse, 17inch TFT and software, don't even own a controller other than a 25 y.o. standard MIDI keyboard. Goodbye to the days of cables, mixers, hardware expense, expensive electric bills and slow workflows when it comes to synths and making music.

I feel like I am in control freak heaven in software for making music. Having so much sonic power on an old pc is nothing short of magic. More than I will ever be able to tap the potential of in my life I suspect.

You can have everything, big format console emulation, analogue emulation, digital precision and anything you can think of historically there is an option. Having the potential to make professional sounding music has never been so low cost and fun. The rest is up to your skill and intention.

Virus hold their value and for good reason, so it is not as if you lose money if you look after it. If anything their rarity of coming up for sale make them even more desireable.

BONES wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:24 am What I don't like about a Virus is that it's sound is too distinctive a lot of the time and everyone seems to use the same presets, which makes it even easier to pick...
i hear this a lot about a lot of instruments (hw and vst)....and i think its blown way out of proportion. unless you make music that only people on kvr and gearslutz listen to...no one will ever be able to tell, or notice, or even care. the only people who talk about "distinctive" synths are us. some joe shmoe listening to whatever in his car isnt stopping a song to tell his buddy that that lead is from a virus and he heard it on 3 other tracks. it just doesnt happen....no one cares.
ImageImageImage

The Polar isn't my first virus I had a TI 2 rack some years ago and I really regretted selling it.

Before I bought the Polar recently, I'd been searching for a good all round work horse synth but what really surprised me is the lack of such synths. Sure, there are a load of good analog/hybrid modules but the big all rounders are hard to find :(. I also bought a Novation Peak and a Minibrute 2.

Honestly I found myself not using the Peak very much at all and using the Virus constantly (with the Brute). I do think the Virus is exceedingly overpriced especially given it lack of support - The TI in use is pretty buggy and there's not even a proper release for Catalina yet! Grrrrrr...

That said, I love its overall sound. It's as aggressive as hell when you dial it up to 11. That of course is not going to suit everyone... You can also get a wide range of sounds from it too. I just ignore the presets or mash the bejesus out of them.

So for 'me' it's a great workhorse synth given the choice of whats available today (in the same price range). I had thought about getting a Nord L4 but it sounds harsh and thin compered to the old NL2.

I'll happily flog it if something better comes along (but I think that will be a while if I'm being honest).
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

chaosWyrM wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:25 pmno one cares.
And if I was making music for other people, I wouldn't care either. But I make music for me and knowing is enough that it puts me off. Of course, if I had my own Virus, I'd probably put a lot of effort into making it not sounds like one.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:16 amOf course, if I had my own Virus, I'd probably put a lot of effort into making it not sounds like one.
kinda defeats the purpose then eh?

but ok, fair enough. i understand the sentiment.
ImageImageImage

Making a Virus not sound like one is obscene. :o

chk071 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:33 pm Making a Virus not sound like one is obscene. :o
obscene is often fun :P

maybe he means he wouldn't use the factory sounds like the majority of ppl do..

AnX wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:35 pm maybe he means he wouldn't use the factory sounds like the majority of ppl do..
what is this?
witchcraft? :o

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”