Are MPE Controllers a fad ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dellboy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:35 pm
I own Cubase Pro 10 and Tracktion Waveform 10 so I am already good to go.
Traction has the best MPE midi data editing tools. Cubase is not behind either with its per note expression. Two of the best for MPE editing.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

If I wanted to grab a MPE controller for synth leads, and perhaps more convincing guitar parts, what brand MPE controller would you recommend works the best in your experience?

49 keys standard for this?
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

trusampler wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:23 pm If I wanted to grab a MPE controller for synth leads, and perhaps more convincing guitar parts, what brand MPE controller would you recommend works the best in your experience?

49 keys standard for this?
I think you'll find everyone has their own preference. The linnstrument layout is obviously quite appealing to guitarists who know the scale layout already and can be easier if you're not a keyboardist. If you are decent on keyboard then the Roli Rise might better suite. But also they are totally different feel. I personally find it easier to glide accurately on the Rise and I like the squishiness. I have a linnstrument as well and sometimes I just feel like playing that, especailly if I want quick vertical expression. Some might prefer something keyboard shaped but more rigid like the K-Board Pro, although the pitch bending is less flexible, I don't think you can do pitch glides. The sensel morph looks like a cheaper alternative to the linnstrument for that type of layout. I've been thinking of getting one of those if it goes on sale again. There are grid layouts that have been made by the community for those.

Thanks alot for the advice.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

The K-Board Pro 4 looks good except it is only 48 keys and expensive

The Qunexus is small enough to go on a workstation and is priced reasonable but is it MPE ?

dellboy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:31 pm The K-Board Pro 4 looks good except it is only 48 keys and expensive

The Qunexus is small enough to go on a workstation and is priced reasonable but is it MPE ?
No but it does have poly aftertouch and a second modulation in the vertical direction, where you could assign timbre type stuff or pitch bend or whatever.

To me, the sensel morph seems like the best small and portable mpe controller.

If you want more than 4 octaves, you only really have the full size linnstrument, which is 5 octaves. For most mpe sounds you are not going to be playing out of a given 5 octave ranges though. You can octave shift them all up or down.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:42 pmTo me, the sensel morph seems like the best small and portable mpe controller.
I'm more tempted by the Joué, which is very similar in concept:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZHe1VV5ArQ

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:57 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:42 pmTo me, the sensel morph seems like the best small and portable mpe controller.

Wow! Thats how a demo should be done.

Cool controller.

He makes it look easy though.

dellboy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:07 pm

Wow! Thats how a demo should be done.

Cool controller.

He makes it look easy though.
Aye! He certainly does :tu:

are they still a thing?
i remember seeing them at namm a few years back, but not seen anything of them since.
whereas everyone mentions the sensei and roli and others a lot.

it did look pretty cool 8)

vurt wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:26 pm

are they still a thing?
i remember seeing them at namm a few years back, but not seen anything of them since.
whereas everyone mentions the sensei and roli and others a lot.

it did look pretty cool 8)
I think they are still a thing. The Sensel Morph gets more attention, however. The Morph is definitely more portable and cheaper. it might even be more sensitive (Touch-wise, not emotionally).

As much as I love the look of the Joué, it's perhaps a little bit too over-engineered and luxurious, which obviously jacks up the price. I'd love to try them both, side-by-side :tu:

id like to try either :lol:
there is nowhere near here that sells any mpe controllers at all.
hopefully it will get more normalised and stores will carry them.
as much as i like the sound of what they offer, im not sure how i would get along with the surfaces more than anything?
now with the added danger of cats claws on a soft surface... quite an expensive scratching toy :o

DJ Warmonger wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:06 pm
Even your example, Serum, has been MPE compatible for some time.
My bad, indeed it is.

But it's the only synth I own that actually does that :v

Here's one list: https://support.roli.com/support/soluti ... nstruments
That list is dated.
U-he for example supports it in their every synth except zebra. (Coming with zebra3).
I dont even my Rise25 it with bundled synths :)
I’ve had mine for 4 years and i love it

Don’t know about the other “pads”, but the Sensel Morph can be used for other things as well, like trackpad, drawing pad, paint with real brushes, laptop/anything keyboard, it’s not an mpe controller only.

MPE might be a fad for the masses, but it certainly has its place.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

MPE is so much more obvious if you come to hard/soft synths as a player of stringed things and not a piano player I think. It seems like an obvious evolution ... keyboard players wanted velocity sensitive keys like their pianos, but aren't always used to sliding up to or off notes, hammering on or pulling off, bending, changing bow or breath pressure throughout a note ... or don't expect it from keys ... it's why I think MPE controllers that aren't "piano-keyboard-plus" are more powerful.
For me, the Linnstrument is my favourite, not got on with Roli, and Sensal Morph is an excellent portable and versatile addition to my collection ... the Buchala Thunder is stimulating. I would love to have the money, space and time for a Haken ... but a hi-tech MIDI guitar is more possible...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”