Old Drum Machines (Alesis SR-16 or similar)?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kritikon wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:18 pm I'm pretty sure the SR16 plays whole songs...all drum machines at that level did. Many of them you had the option of playing individual patterns and manually changing them on the fly, or simply preprogramming a whole song that plays on one press.

I used to use a Roland R8 and they were pretty flexible...I was surprised at what detail you could get in there when you really delved around under the surface. But...quite fiddly IMO. R8s were pretty big sellers so there should be quite a few of them around for sale hopefully not at silly prices. I found the base R8 to be more aimed at realistic drum sets rather than electronic, but they did sell extra drumkits, so check what drum sounds are in any 2nd hand one before you buy (although you might still be able to get extra drumkits into them nowadays?). Downside is the learning curve on an R8 is pretty steep compared with an SR16 (IMO) but the detail is way deeper.

The odd times I used an SR16, I preferred their drumset tbh. More up my street, though it was full of all the usual real drums as well.

Only thing I would say is to avoid the temptation to save money and buy up the really cheap ones. You might be able to buy early things like the Roland 606 or equivalent. Don't. They're EXTREMELY limited and are almost toys compared to more modern offerings. At one time their price went up 2nd hand because of silly fads and trends, and the gullible were led to believe they were part of the silver box 303 mythos...those drum machines were awful unless you make a specific style of music. I can make better beats doing my own beatboxing chanting "bum tchakka hiss bum bum click" into a tin can on a piece of string. And I'm in no way a beatboxer.
Yes, I don't want to go too old, probably '90s. I was looking at a Boss Dr-220A, I thought the sounds were great in demos, but then when I asked the question "Yeah, that kit sounds good... but what other sounds does it do?" and then found out, there is just one kit... and that's it. The reason I'd like to use more hardware is because I want the challenge of working with limits (oh, and as I said "to use live", to try and get away from using a laptop)... but one kit is just too limiting.
'90s machines probably have the right balance between price, sounds selection and depth of options.

And I really do like when old drum machines' attempt to make acoustic drum sounds... but then the sound is just completely unconvincing, much like the famous Linn machines.
Last edited by an-electric-heart on Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ive got this little feller :hihi:
20200322_212306.jpg
bought from chris carter of tg :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

an-electric-heart wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:15 pm And I really do like when old drum machines' attempt to make acoustic drum sounds... but then the sound is just completely unconvincing, much like the famous Linn machines.
Alesis HR-16 is supposed to sound acoustic ... :hihi:

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:56 pm
an-electric-heart wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:15 pm And I really do like when old drum machines' attempt to make acoustic drum sounds... but then the sound is just completely unconvincing, much like the famous Linn machines.
Alesis HR-16 is supposed to sound acoustic ... :hihi:
Yes, maybe the HR-16 isn't really right for me, if it only does realistic acoustic sounds. I'm after a drum machine that sounds like a drum machine.

The Roland DR5 reigned supreme for me as an all in one backing instruments and pad surface.
That being said the connection ports had wear. Past a certain point I lost an out channel on the phones and the wear from the power supply (battery only operated)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TYHVZ_wIt4

It can be programmed via grid or live looping.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

an-electric-heart wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:53 am Yes, maybe the HR-16 isn't really right for me, if it only does realistic acoustic sounds. I'm after a drum machine that sounds like a drum machine.
i have a soft spot for the hr-16 as a plastic midi drum machine. the sounds are a bit off what you'd want ideally - the sound ROM can be changed. there are a couple of alternative offered online, or you can burn you own - hassle. but it doesn't have kits, so you've had it if you accidentally change voice parameters. the sr-16 was the follow-on and resolved this with kits, and lets you switch from record to play without stopping, but doesn't have a backlight and lacks charm. so you might want to look at the sr-18 (or akai xr20 which looks like the same thing), and they go for around 125?eu 2nd hand. has backlight, 4 outputs like the others, more sounds. i haven't tried it.

or you could look at an electribe ES1 mkII - it can load 100 samples/~4mb via smartmedia, quite a few kits already available, but make your own, *it is a sampler that actually samples*, 2x 64 patterns, up to 64 steps/4 bars, with 16step chaselight/x0x interface, easy song mode, saves parameters per pattern including FX assignments ( a few effects with a couple of parameters), motion control of 1 parameter per pattern -so you treat patterns also as kit memories. pretty classic machine imo.
mk1 or mk2, pretty much the same apart from 1 effect, and construction quality. have any sounds you want onboard including loops. sequences can also be edited temporarily on the fly without saving over the original pattern. stereo out only but you can get big 'scene changes' saved in patterns changing sounds and effects. fun machine.

vurt wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:24 pm ive got this little feller :hihi:
20200322_212306.jpg

bought from chris carter of tg :D
my first drum machine, used the accent to drive the seq on my 101

id buy it again if it wasn't stupid prices, great little fun machine

Just curious, why you after an old drum machine. I still have my old Boss DR 550 MK2. Its okay but its cheesy sounds. A NI Battery or Maschine blows it out of the water.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:45 am Just curious, why you after an old drum machine. I still have my old Boss DR 550 MK2. Its okay but its cheesy sounds. A NI Battery or Maschine blows it out of the water.
Well, firstly, I want something that's stand-alone, for live use, that doesn't need to be tied to computer. Isn't Maschine a controller? And Battery is software... that's waaay off.
And secondly, I said it further up, but I like the sound of old drum-machines that some may call "cheesy", much like a 707 or Linn Drum, I like the bad attempts at acoustic drums that come off sounding completely synthetic.
If I wanted realistic drums I have SD3, Steven Slate and others.

an-electric-heart wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:04 am
telecode wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:45 am Just curious, why you after an old drum machine. I still have my old Boss DR 550 MK2. Its okay but its cheesy sounds. A NI Battery or Maschine blows it out of the water.
Well, firstly, I want something that's stand-alone, for live use, that doesn't need to be tied to computer. Isn't Maschine a controller? And Battery is software... that's waaay off.
And secondly, I said it further up, but I like the sound of old drum-machines that some may call "cheesy", much like a 707 or Linn Drum, I like the bad attempts at acoustic drums that come off sounding completely synthetic.
I see. Yeah, you are right, the NI stuff are controllers and software. I was more referring to the quality of sounds and ability and ease to manipulate them. But there are tons of peeps who have a crazy decent mobile setup with a MS Surface and an NI controller and the software loaded on the Surface.

I also have a JDXI and the drum machine in that is also blows away the old 90s DR 550. I think the resolution of the drums on the 550 is just a lot lower (thats what it sounds to me). I think thats why it sounds like what it does.

The Linn drums from 80s aren't cheesy. They have a certain character to them that is sort of tied to a genre and era in music. Those 90s drum machines by BOSS and Alesis e.t..c IMO don't have that character. They are the early baby steps of those companies making digital drum machines for generic consumers and amateur musicians. They all sound like eastern European attempts at making dance music. You know, the difference between London sound and Polish dance music from 90s and early 00s. Just my 2 cents.

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

ok-
I think u should get a drum machine hah!
but there is the most amazing drum machine sample library here that u can have too->
https://samples.kb6.de/downloads.php
this place just kicks ass
--and here is my small offering too,
the FujiTone IIIb->
FujiTone.zip
...possibly u could load these into it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nix808 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:19 am ok-
I think u should get a drum machine hah!
but there is the most amazing drum machine sample library here that u can have too->
https://samples.kb6.de/downloads.php
this place just kicks ass
--and here is my small offering too,
the FujiTone IIIb->
FujiTone.zip

...possibly u could load these into it
Cool! I do have gigs and gigs and drum samples but, hey... a man can always use more. :hihi:

oh nice
I hope a couple of them sit nicely for u whenever
8D
more is definitely not less AFAIK

telecode wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:16 am
I see. Yeah, you are right, the NI stuff are controllers and software. I was more referring to the quality of sounds and ability and ease to manipulate them. But there are tons of peeps who have a crazy decent mobile setup with a MS Surface and an NI controller and the software loaded on the Surface.

I also have a JDXI and the drum machine in that is also blows away the old 90s DR 550. I think the resolution of the drums on the 550 is just a lot lower (thats what it sounds to me). I think thats why it sounds like what it does.

The Linn drums from 80s aren't cheesy. They have a certain character to them that is sort of tied to a genre and era in music. Those 90s drum machines by BOSS and Alesis e.t..c IMO don't have that character. They are the early baby steps of those companies making digital drum machines for generic consumers and amateur musicians. They all sound like eastern European attempts at making dance music. You know, the difference between London sound and Polish dance music from 90s and early 00s. Just my 2 cents.
Cool, valid points. :tu:
I was just concerned that you thought I was asking about realistic drums, but obviously you do get what I'm saying.
If you listen to some of my music (this song for example), I like drum sounds that are pretty easy to get, and nor am I fussy, so long as there's a decent selection of sounds, I'll make something work.
https://soundcloud.com/anelectricheartm ... lling-lies

an-electric-heart wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:39 am
telecode wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:16 am

Cool, valid points. :tu:
I was just concerned that you thought I was asking about realistic drums, but obviously you do get what I'm saying.
If you listen to some of my music (this song for example), I like drum sounds that are pretty easy to get, and nor am I fussy, so long as there's a decent selection of sounds, I'll make something work.
https://soundcloud.com/anelectricheartm ... lling-lies
Hmm.. I am not hearing that much drum machine in your tune.

I look at some use of drum machine as it s acreative tool that intentionally gives the tune a very "digital" sound vs warmer analogue sound and feel. Examples of over the top drum machine use that has a very late 80s/90s vibe IMO... the electric synthetic qualities of the drum machine sort of takes over the entire song and becomes the focal point for the listener. Its very different to the Linn drum use by Stevie Wonder or early Prince stuff IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L41MhFPU9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuezNswtRfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDKkRSUrTd8

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”