USB-B to MIDI

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I currently have a Roland digital piano and I am considering getting a sound module. However the piano only has an output of USB-B. Practically all sound modules are 5-pin DIN, so I was wondering whether there are any cables that go from USB-B to 5-pin DIN?

Yes, there are a lot of USB to MIDI converters on the market, so you should be able to do it. Usually it's a cable with a square USB B on one end, with 5 pin MIDI IN and MIDI OUT connectors on the other end.

No.
USB-B = Slave, it needs a USB Host in between. So, some computer device or a Kenton/iConnectivity/Other USB host.
Last edited by T-CM11 on Wed May 20, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:dog: You're right - I just looked at the question about the availability of converters...

So there's no way of connecting my piano to a sound module then?

Jaxeto wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:59 pm So there's no way of connecting my piano to a sound module then?
Yes there is (like I've told you), but not with only some (cheap) converter cable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-MIDI-Host- ... B0752M869X
This the cheapest non-DIY option I could find with a quick google search.

Is this possible with piano connecting to a external powered usb hub then usb a to din cable?

NTO wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:02 pm Is this possible with piano connecting to a external powered usb hub then usb a to din cable?
No, that way you still have no USB "host" that does the routing from one device to the other.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

What routing? Isn't it just electrical translation?

NTO wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:12 pm What routing? Isn't it just electrical translation?
It needs to be 'managed' still. USB hubs usually have one cable that connects to the host and ports that are for the slave devices.

NTO wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:12 pm What routing? Isn't it just electrical translation?
Nope

Here's my testbed
Novation Remote 25 type B to USB hub Type A port 4
USB hub port 6 via USB type A > din cable > Steinberg UR44 > monitor with MidiOx
2020-05-20_1128.png
Works fine...
What's missing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by NTO on Wed May 20, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If you unplug the hub from the PC, then what happens? ;-)
Told you, the PC does the routing. Not the hub.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

NTO wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:25 pm Here's my testbed
Novation Remote 25 type B to USB hub Type A port 4
USB hub port 6 via USB type A > din cable > Steinberg UR44 > monitor with MidiOx

Works fine...
What's missing?
The computer (USB host) you didn't mention, connected to that USB hub. :dog:

edit: Bertkoor ninja'd me :hihi:
Read the OP again, NTO - do you see a some kind of computer mentioned? Right. :idea:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”