Desktop bass synth - what’s your favorite?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’m looking for ideas for a desktop bass synth for my studio. Has to be smallish, preferably no keyboard. I was thinking Moog Taurus, but seems too limited. But I do like the quality. I got the korg arp odyssey, which it pretty sweet, but I also like having presets.

Looking for other ideas. Thanks!

The following list of small desktop synth modules are good for bass, and can store presets:

* Moog Minitaur/Sirin (based on the Taurus)
* Pioneer DJ Toraiz AS-1
* Roland Boutique SE-02
* Waldorf Pulse 2

I have all four synths available in my studio, but if I had to choose one it would be a toss up between the Moog Minitaur/Sirin or Waldorf Pulse 2. Overall, the Waldorf Pulse 2 is far more flexible, but the Minitaur/Sirin's sound is so good.

The below video I found on YouTube is a basic comparison between the Moog Minitaur and Waldorf Pulse 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMWMmiEOjoQ

Love my Pulse 2 for bass. Well, for many things, including bass.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

My favorite thing for bass is a somewhat saturated triangle. Both Microbrute (not really what you're looking for) and the 0-Coast (maybe?) do that very well. No presets, but also pretty simple synths to just dial in.

Silaris wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:02 pm The following list of small desktop synth modules are good for bass, and can store presets:

* Pioneer DJ Toraiz AS-1
* Roland Boutique SE-02
* Waldorf Pulse 2

I have all four synths available in my studio, but if I had to choose one it would be a toss up between the Moog Minitaur/Sirin or Waldorf Pulse 2. Overall, the Waldorf Pulse 2 is far more flexible, but the Minitaur/Sirin's sound is so good.
revvy wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:42 pm Love my Pulse 2 for bass. Well, for many things, including bass.
oh wow, thank you. I had never considered the pulse 2, but it sounds amazing. I never fit well with the blofeld so never even considered the pulse 2. I really like the sound. I'll have to watch some more demos of it, but right now that seems perfect for what I'm looking for. Thanks again!

I’d choose Siren if not just bass and you want Moog. But I’d take SE-02 over all.

Depends on if you want lots of harmonics in your bass (Moog) or more modern.

I think the Pulse 2 is overpriced, new.

Waldorf Rocket.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I use either the Pulse 2 or the Bass Station II. The BS II still have really nice filters, overdrive and distortion and it's priced fantastically for what you get. I know you said preferably no keyboard but the BS II is small.

- Waldorf Pulse 2
- Moog Taurus
- Novation Bass Station II (somewhat bigger because of the keyboard)
- Toraiz AS-1

All four sound great and have a rather distinctive sound because of the different filters.

Se-02.

After my latest experiment last night, I’ve decided that my favorite desktop bass synth is a Pro-1, Neutron, Mother-32, and 0-Coast all stacked together. That also works well as a 4-voice polysynth, routed with a Blokas MidiHub. Next up, I’m going to try stacking a Minibrute 2S, FutureRetro 777, D-05, and Tom Oberheim SEM together through A Boss MD-500, Strymon BigSky, and maybe an Eventide H9.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Silaris wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:02 pm The following list of small desktop synth modules are good for bass, and can store presets:

* Pioneer DJ Toraiz AS-1
* Roland Boutique SE-02
* Waldorf Pulse 2

The below video I found on YouTube is a basic comparison between the Moog Minitaur and Waldorf Pulse 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMWMmiEOjoQ
I watched that video a long time ago. I still think the Minitaur smokes the Pulse 2 in every regard. Just sounds better in any way. Not that the Pulse 2 sounds bad, but... the Minitaur just beats it.

That said, I'd get the Sirin, if then. The Minitaur has a too small note range.

You tried them or just watched videos?
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”