2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Banned
393 posts since 13 Jul, 2021

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:35 am

Keystation 49es

User avatar
KVRAF
5934 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:14 pm

I'm trying to figure out a better shelf/stand setup. I have no good home for my Launchpad X, Model:Cycles, or the Strega that I would like to get someday...

On my right I have my big modular case with a Pod60 and 0-Ctrl on tilt stands in front of it, no room to add anything else.

On my left, a 3U rack box with a cheap but functional guitar stand on top, which is holding my Minibrute 2S at a nice angle. *Maybe* I could use a loci.life XL stand in the 60 degree position with an expander on top for gear, but it'd be a bad playing position for the Launchpad or bashing the M:C, and kind of expensive just to be able to squeeze in the Strega.

In the middle, between my computer keyboard and LCD, I have my Microfreak on an adjustable laptop stand. Maybe this dual DJ stand would give me room for the Launchpad, but I'd be surprised if I can squeeze in the Microfreak below it and the Launchpad and M:C both on the stand.

User avatar
KVRAF
11533 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:40 pm

cryophonik wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:04 am
Update: just found a great deal on a like-new MiniBrute 2s! :wheee:
I don't have it any more but I really loved my Minibrute 2. I recommend them to people all the time. It sounds great and has a ton of sound design potential, as well as flexibility for expansion.

User avatar
KVRAF
7253 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:44 pm

justin3am wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:40 pm
cryophonik wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:04 am
Update: just found a great deal on a like-new MiniBrute 2s! :wheee:
I don't have it any more but I really loved my Minibrute 2. I recommend them to people all the time. It sounds great and has a ton of sound design potential, as well as flexibility for expansion.
Good to hear, especially coming from you! :tu: I'm pretty excited to throw it into the mix!

User avatar
KVRAF
11533 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:53 pm

foosnark wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:14 pm
I'm trying to figure out a better shelf/stand setup.
The eternal struggle. I'm looking into the possibility of attaching some desktop boxes to VESA mounts but I'm not sure if that will work out in the end. My main euro cases are on a standing desk, with my Pro3, Analog 4 and Octatrack on a coffee table under the desk. Works of me but maybe not an efficient use of space. Since all the space on my Argosy desk and the tops of my racks are occupied, I've had to put some desktop boxes on my 3-tier keyboard stand. TMS... :oops:

User avatar
GRRRRRRR!
12572 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:56 pm

I've just realised that I have spent about $1000 in the last month or two on shit that doesn't excite me in any way and that I don't really need. It must be lockdown getting to me.

Today the 37 key Korg MicroKey 2 I ordered turned up. I am hoping the fact it has proper Mod and Pitch Bend wheels will make it better than the KeyStep I've had for a while but it will likely be weeks (or months) before I get around to trying it out because I haven't actually used the KeyStep in a year or more.

A couple of weeks ago it was a TC Helicon vocal processor that I'd almost forgotten about until I stumbled upon its box (with the unit still in it) this morning. I haven't so much as plugged it into the power yet, much less into a mixer or anything. But this morning I at least looked at the set-up instructions. I probably won't touch it until we resume rehearsals, which is likely still weeks away.

A month ago I bought a new audio interface, even though I have two that I am perfectly happy with. It's an Audient Evo 8 and in some ways it's not as good as the others - the buffer resets to 16 samples sometimes when I switch the computer on and it doesn't have an on/off switch - but I'm using it anyway.

A few weeks before that it was a new pair of JBL 104 monitors. Again, in some ways they aren't nearly as good as the Eris 3.5s they've replaced - I have to unplug my Walkman form the Aux In when I want to hear the PC output and the power switch is in a really annoying spot - but they are a bit louder, they definitely have more bottom end and I think the sound is ever-so-slightly more detailed - so they stay.

All of which is to say that I am a f**king idiot who has much better things to spend his money on but is too stupid to do so. In my defense, however, they are all things I have been looking at for ages - the JBLs since early in the year, the Evo 8 for the last few months, the Korg for a month or two and the vocal unit is something I first looked at a couple of years ago, when I am sure it was twice the price it is now. So none of them were impulse purchases, which is something, I suppose.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10(64), Evo8 | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

KVRian
1007 posts since 9 Jul, 2014 from UK

Post Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:18 am

cryophonik wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:45 pm
Thinking about swapping out my Moog Slim Phatty for an Arturia MiniBrute 2s or possibly a Waldorf Pulse v1 or v2. I love the sound of the Phatty, but it's got some known MIDI issues (hung notes, occasional drops response to MIDI in) that have become a little annoying. Plus, I recently bought a Sub 37 and Minitaur, so I really don't need three Moogs (although they're all different enough to coexist in my studio IMO). IDK, decisions, decisions....
3 Moogs? 😳 That’s just showing off 😂😂

I’ve gone semi retro this year and bought a Novation Bass Station Mk2, Roland Gaia and a Behringer MS-1. Loving all of them!
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

User avatar
KVRAF
7253 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:03 am

ramseysounds wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:18 am
3 Moogs? 😳 That’s just showing off 😂😂
I wasn’t actually planning on owning three of them. I originally bought the Slim Phatty to be be my main/only mono to complement my Prophet Rev2, but then quickly found deals too good to pass up on the Sub 37 and Minitaur. Honestly, I’d be happy to just keep the Sub 37, but I’m having too much fun with all three of them! 😂

KVRAF
7197 posts since 19 Jun, 2008 from Seattle

Post Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:52 pm

The long 'sold-out', is now... en-route. 8) :D


Touch+Controller+Panel.jpg
https://pittsburghmodular.com/lifeforms ... controller
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

User avatar
KVRAF
5934 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:17 am

Selling my Gozinta that doesn't get much use, bought an Ears instead. More different functions and more fun, and I'm enough of a Rings fan (and MI in general) that I probably should have had one all along!

Also traded my FX Aid XL for a Befaco Crush Delay V2. FX Aid is a great little module... for someone who doesn't have a collection of VST plugins. It's generally felt kind of redundant. The Crush Delay has that broken PT2399 thing (and some other mojo) and I like what I'm hearing in demos.

User avatar
addled muppet weed
86091 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:41 am

at f**king last, cash flow and stock met and produced a strega for me :D
hopefully tomorrow!!!! :wheee:

depends on me getting up in the morning :lol:

User avatar
KVRAF
11533 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:04 am

vurt wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:41 am
at f**king last, cash flow and stock met and produced a strega for me :D
hopefully tomorrow!!!! :wheee:

depends on me getting up in the morning :lol:
:tu: I think you are going to love Strega. It's just so delightfully weird.

User avatar
addled muppet weed
86091 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:06 am

justin3am wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:04 am
vurt wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:41 am
at f**king last, cash flow and stock met and produced a strega for me :D
hopefully tomorrow!!!! :wheee:

depends on me getting up in the morning :lol:
:tu: I think you are going to love Strega. It's just so delightfully weird.
indeed. it's been a pain that whenever there's been cash before, no stock.
been killing me watching all the strega videos and not being able to join in the fun!!!
may even do an unboxing video to celebrate :lol:

KVRAF
7197 posts since 19 Jun, 2008 from Seattle

Post Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:24 am

vurt wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:06 am
justin3am wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:04 am
vurt wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:41 am
at f**king last, cash flow and stock met and produced a strega for me :D
hopefully tomorrow!!!! :wheee:

depends on me getting up in the morning :lol:
:tu: I think you are going to love Strega. It's just so delightfully weird.
indeed. it's been a pain that whenever there's been cash before, no stock.
been killing me watching all the strega videos and not being able to join in the fun!!!
may even do an unboxing video to celebrate :lol:
8) :hyper:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

User avatar
addled muppet weed
86091 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:28 am

Shabdahbriah wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:24 am
vurt wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:06 am
justin3am wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:04 am
vurt wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:41 am
at f**king last, cash flow and stock met and produced a strega for me :D
hopefully tomorrow!!!! :wheee:

depends on me getting up in the morning :lol:
:tu: I think you are going to love Strega. It's just so delightfully weird.
indeed. it's been a pain that whenever there's been cash before, no stock.
been killing me watching all the strega videos and not being able to join in the fun!!!
may even do an unboxing video to celebrate :lol:
8) :hyper:
we shall see!
not sure how to make it fit with the rest of my visual stuff, ie, how does one weird an unboxing?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”