2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pekbro wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:53 pm Friedman Buffer Bay 6 (was on sale :shrug:)

https://www.friedmanamplification.com/p ... ffer-bay-6[/img]
I have one of these. It's particularly nice if you have a pedal board, with which you connect some pedals in from of an amp and in it's FX loop. I've since built a few of my own buffered patchbays because the circuit is so simple, I couldn't bring myself to buy another one, lol. Anyway, these pedal board patch bays are super useful, if you want to use a group of pedals with different setups (I call them "stations", :hihi:) without having to pull everything apart.

justin3am wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:35 pm
pekbro wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:53 pm Friedman Buffer Bay 6 (was on sale :shrug:)

https://www.friedmanamplification.com/p ... ffer-bay-6[/img]
I have one of these. It's particularly nice if you have a pedal board, with which you connect some pedals in from of an amp and in it's FX loop. I've since built a few of my own buffered patchbays because the circuit is so simple, I couldn't bring myself to buy another one, lol. Anyway, these pedal board patch bays are super useful, if you want to use a group of pedals with different setups (I call them "stations", :hihi:) without having to pull everything apart.
The main thing I was interested in for now was the buffer, I figure the patch bay will be useful
as well, even if I'm not sure of the application before getting my hands on it. I thinking pretty
seriously of picking up an amp from Quilter, or maybe a small tube amp. The tube attraction
is pretty strong, but I like the quilter stuff as well. A "good" tube amp seems like it would
be a lot more costly and not super critical for me. Anyway, a built in fx loop is one of the main
features I require in an amp, so definitely this will come in handy. :tu:

jacqueslacouth wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:30 am a couple of absolute belter guitars for chump change from Artist Guitars!
Not seen those before, how are they set up? I do quite fancy the headless multiscale 8 string but I've heard bad things about the hardware on some similar looking beasts.

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:56 am Ama.zon have the Beh.ringer 914 module at £47, so, really, I couldnt not...
I should have kept my nose outta here...

repeat..

"really..I couldn't not .. " ;)

thanx for the heads up... (I think )
Last edited by toonertik on Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vurt wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:27 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:56 am Ama.zon have the Beh.ringer 914 module at £47, so, really, I couldnt not...
eek that is a little tempting. :scared:
Too tempting :tu:

toonertik wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:17 pm
got distracted by unicorns and duplo :shrug:
:lol: figured id best get all that stuff ordered before everywhere either sells out or cant deliver in time :hihi:

vurt wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:39 pm
toonertik wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:17 pm
got distracted by duplo :shrug:
:lol: figured id best get all that stuff ordered before everywhere either sells out or cant deliver in time :hihi:
Maybe time to le_go of kiddie stuff..

oh wait.. got a Rosie.. :P

BTW.. I thought of her of Oct 23rd... :hug: ;)

Going to ask a thick question. Not having a modular, but using software versions, I’ll nearly always want to add some modulation to give filters some life, but the 914 is just a fixed bank, so what’s the attraction of it over other filters that you can automate via cv?

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:09 am Going to ask a thick question. Not having a modular, but using software versions, I’ll nearly always want to add some modulation to give filters some life, but the 914 is just a fixed bank, so what’s the attraction of it over other filters that you can automate via cv?
Thick question>> NOT.
For sure, modulation is great..
but for me this, I hope, will allow me to sculpt a different sound from the OSC . I often like to use just one OSC as source (others being used for modulation sources) and see what I can get out of this OSC.. using between 3 and 6 of the wave shape_outs... with this I can now get 2 sounds from one out.. and ..

well..
live hands on modulation is also a factor...

after all.. I have created a multi_voice very playable band... :band2:

Ah ok so it’s just further sound shaping, makes sense I guess it’s further subtractive :tu:

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:44 am Ah ok so it’s just further sound shaping, makes sense I guess it’s further subtractive :tu:
It's different from a "subtractive filter" that will only do one band.. this is multi band and so gives one power to sculpt differently.. and as I said.. I play hands on..

I think it was the developer WOK who did a VST filter bank way way back.. loved that )))

I've never been a big fan of the 914 style filter banks but they can be useful, in a lot of the same ways as graphic EQ. They have some neat spectra shaping abilities, like setting every even band all the way up and every odd band all the way down. Filter Banks can also be really useful in feedback loops.

I prefer the Serge ResEQ (whose bands don't line up with octaves, so you get more unusual resonances) or stuff like the Buchla 296 and the Verbos Bark Filter, where you get voltage control of the level of the different bands and each band has en envelope follower.

justin3am wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:54 am I've never been a big fan of the 914 style filter banks but they can be useful, in a lot of the same ways as graphic EQ. They have some neat spectra shaping abilities, like setting every even band all the way up and every odd band all the way down. Filter Banks can also be really useful in feedback loops.

I prefer the Serge ResEQ (whose bands don't line up with octaves, so you get more unusual resonances) or stuff like the Buchla 296 and the Verbos Bark Filter, where you get voltage control of the level of the different bands and each band has en envelope follower.
Hmmm I'm thinking about that correlation 'tween band pass filters and graphics... sort of but..
when I had my live rig I came out of the mixer into Klark Technics :dog: teknik 31 (or was it 33) band graphics into DBX160 .. not sure Id use a 914 to correct for live room work.. ;) (that was back in late 1970's/1980's well before Behringer bought them.. the EQs were inductor type.. really so musical.. I kick my butt now, a few weeks ago a Technics :dog: teknik (before name change) a dual 11 band went for £180.. at the time I was nah.. now I .. oh fk nostalgia>> :lol: )
yeah.. gonna get me a Surge for £47>> :shug :$55/60 :P
Last edited by toonertik on Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

:!:

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”