Software vs Hardware Synth (better investment for beginners?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been making beats by myself for a while now and considering buying a hardware synth cause they look fun and I can't fight the GAS, but I wonder if I should just spend more time getting better with the stock synths on my DAW or buy some plugins before investing in a hardware synth. Thoughts?

If you have the desire for hardware eventually you will buy. I can't imagine a world where software came first for some, so i guess I can't completely relate.. Though remember hardware will most likely have restrictions, in some cases no options for preset recall,automation may be difficult in some cases if it's a completely analog path.

The reward is far more greater though in my opinion, your not getting an emulation,but the real thing with analog,and the tactile feel of hardware is in my humble opinion,worth it. Assigning midi cc's to decent midi controllers and the use of plugins is close,but there's still something about the love you have from a real instrument, that trumps all.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Honestly, the whole hardware vs. software "debate" is stupid IMO. There doesn't have to be a competition and owning/using one does not preclude you from owning/using the other. If you want hardware, go for it! There's nothing stopping you from owning hardware and also using your stock soft synths. And, I agree - hardware synths are fun and that's as good a reason as anyone would ever need to justify owning one (or two, or fifteen).
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Agreed with the above. Getting a hardware synth won't prevent you from buying Serum in the future, or vice versa. Buying a hardware synth doesn't have to be this big life-changing decision that some make it out to be. The only time it would completely change your workflow is if you decide to go DAW-less and abandon DAWs and plugins completely, but that's an entirely different discussion.

Personally, I currently own 3 hardware synths (DeepMind 12, UNO and SE-02) and might pick up one or two more in the future. There are some projects where I don't even turn on the hardware synths, and just use plugins. Other times, playing around with the hardware synths and stumbling upon some cool sound can inspire me to create the next 8-bar loop full track

I'd get a software synth, especially if you're not sure if this whole thing is for you then. Hardware synths are very expensive. Hell, even soft synths are, but, at least those don't break the bank.

Spend time with soft synths until you have a good idea of what you want to do so you will make a better hardware decision.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Yep. That seems to be the reasonable approach.

Michael L wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:36 am Spend time with soft synths until you have a good idea of what you want to do so you will make a better hardware decision.
this is a good idea indeed :)
no point rushing in, get an idea for why you want the hw.
are you looking for mono/poly, what synthesis types and so on..

many people get by with all software, some might want a mono bass just to add some analogue flavour, some might just use software as a garnish.
there's no right or wrong.

A big thumbs up for using hardware is that it is unaffected by the various schemes that software vendors might dream up to bring in new income like the current trend toward subscriptions.

Buy a new hardware synth,sequencer,sampler, etc and look after it, and it could still be in use in 20 years time.

But who knows what the future holds for software as they look for new ways to bring in income ?

It is my opinion that software synths are far better for beginners. You usually get way more visual feedback as to what is happening within the synth, modulation is usually far easier to apply, and....presets baby.

Granted, some hardware synths do share some of these features, but you will end up paying WAYYY MORE for a hardware synth with comparable features. Definitely go software first if you are just getting into this.

dellboy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:11 pm A big thumbs up for using hardware is that it is unaffected by the various schemes that software vendors might dream up to bring in new income like the current trend toward subscriptions.

Buy a new hardware synth,sequencer,sampler, etc and look after it, and it could still be in use in 20 years time.

But who knows what the future holds for software as they look for new ways to bring in income ?
Of course it could also be that your hardware synths breaks after 4 years, and the company originally manufacturing it has discontinued it, so, there's not even the possibility of buying it new anymore... or the manufacturer stopped doing firmware updates, which renders the synth useless on newer OS's, or leaves the synth with firmware bugs.

I think if you really want to find such arguments for this or the other, you will find pros and cons on both sides. I'd actually once again argue that there are fewer issues like that with software.

Maybe the OP could clarify what is meant by the term "investment".

If its financial investment, then hardware is the clear winner, as all old analogue hardware seems to only appreciate in value. And even modern hardware synths might become classics and be sought after in the future - who knows.

But the same can rarely be said for software as it generally ends up slowly losing value until its eventually worthless. And subscription software has zero financial value.

If by "investment" time is meant, then take your choice as both need the investment of time to learn how to program them.

chk071 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:00 pm
dellboy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:11 pm A big thumbs up for using hardware is that it is unaffected by the various schemes that software vendors might dream up to bring in new income like the current trend toward subscriptions.

Of course it could also be that your hardware synths breaks after 4 years, and the company originally manufacturing it has discontinued it, so, there's not even the possibility of buying it new anymore... or the manufacturer stopped doing firmware updates, which renders the synth useless on newer OS's, or leaves the synth with firmware bugs.

I think if you really want to find such arguments for this or the other, you will find pros and cons on both sides. I'd actually once again argue that there are fewer issues like that with software.
If it is really important not to lose your investment (in learning, muscle memory etc) then an open source softsynth is the only sure way to go. Doesn't break physically, cannot be developed in a way that the users do not want, only gets abandoned if not enough people care enough about it. Surge is the current example of such a synth. Learn once, build patch library once, use forever.

Assuming you already have a computer, low latency audio IO and a keyboard controller, soft synths will be cheaper (until you end up with dozens of them!). Being 'in the box' is also far simpler that recording hardware.

All that said, I personally prefer dedicated music making hardware (AKA 'toys') and am happy to pay more to not be sat in front of a computer screen with a qwerty keyboard and mouse, I can't think of anything less rock 'n roll ;-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

uOpt wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:30 pm cannot be developed in a way that the users do not want
Of course it can. Unless you assume that everyone is a developer who can develop his own features for the synth.

Does Surge have every single feature you want for a synth? Doesn't it have a single feature you wouldn't want or need on a synth?

Seems like Open Source is the new religious cult for some peeps. :P

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”