Midi controllers for efficient plugin control.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, I am in search for a midi controller that would simulate a decent “hardware-like hands on" Plugin control experience, as much as possible of course. My definition criteria for that would be:
1. Load a template I’ve set up with my vst parameters – physical knobs/faders assignments of choice automatically (without searching by pressing buttons on the controller) depending the current track active or plugin in focus.
2. Send/update the parameters values/names in question on controller screens so I get visual feedback of what I am controlling at any given time.
3. Toggle between the described plugin control to mixer control (which is not the priority but always useful to have) by pressing a button (without having to power cycle the device as I know some need to), again while offering proper visual feedback.

Now, I mainly use Studio One and I know its mapping/midi learn system is pretty good, and it should basically allow #1 with every controller, but since the magic apparently works on DAW level would it also cover #2 with the controller screens taking notice?

Ideally, I’d like to go with a midi keyboard and seriously considering Novation SL mkIII , maaaybe NI Komplete S but I am not sure NKS really provides something SL mkIII can’t do (apart from preset browsing on a screen) in order to sacrifice Novation’s extra features.

Then, I also consider trading keys (I do have a master keyboard anyway, although it’d be nice to have everything in one device) for a dedicated controller with motorized faders so I also got visual feedback on them too. iCon QCon Pro and Behringer X Touch look nice but again, I got no idea whether they’ll work as I’d want them to based on the aforementioned criteria, so if anyone has any of the devices, I’ve mentioned, please let me know. Any other viable alternative is welcome too. Cheers!

Softube Console 1? Not a midi controller per se, but it's absolutely brilliant

Nektar Panorama T Series.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”