MPowerSynth: remove hard-wired CC mappings?

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,

In MPowerSynth, it seems certain controls, like global volume, pan and multimappers are hard-wired to receive certain MIDI CCs.

Is there any way to edit (change the CC number) or delete these mappings?

Thanks! ..........D

And........

........if it's not possible to edit or delete these assignments, is there a list somewhere of exactly what is mapped and with which CC and midi channel?

@Mr Melda, please help, how do i remove or edit these hard-wired CC mappings?

(it's not my DAW [Cubase 9.5] doing it, because i tested it in Samplitude and the exact same thing is happening!)

What exactly is your workflow while having problems with this? I can not figure out what exactly can become problematic. Could you describe a certain behaviour how to "reproduce" this unwanted behaviour of MPS?

Also keep in mind that you can link MIDI CCs via the bottm right button "MIDI".
System: Win 10 64 bit / i9 9900K (8x 3.6 GHz) / 16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM / 1TB M.2 SSD + 2x 500 GB SSD / RME Babyface / Reaper

Tagirijus.de

Sure!

It's really strange.

I've got a Roland A-800 Pro MIDI controller keyboard.

It has two USB MIDI outputs, called "PRO1" & "PRO2".

In Cubase 9.5, if "PRO2" midi input is active, and i have a track with MPowerSynth monitoring all MIDI inputs, then tweaking a CC controller knob on the Roland will change the MPS parameters that are hard-wired.

But this isn't what i want! Say i've accidentally left monitoring on on the MPS track, and i and tweak a Roland midi knob (or just accidentally move it), then it'll change the parameters in MPS without my wanting it!

What's even stranger is that in Samplitude, MPS will react to these hardwired CC controllers from either "PRO1" & "PRO2", while in Cubase MPS it only reacts to CCs coming in from "PRO2".

But where are the settings in MPS that tell it to only react to CC's coming in from "PRO2"?

I understand that for some people these hard-wired CCs could be useful, but for others like me it's not useful at all.

Imagine you have several hardware midi controllers in your studio. It's really annoying if you have to be super careful about what track is monitoring and what controller you touch. I think MPS has more then a hundred CCs hard-wired, and if you accidentally move a mapped controller you might ruin a patch and it could take hours to track down what parameter got tweaked.

Of course if you've also mapped hardware knobs to MPS you also need to be careful, but that's (in my case) usually 3 or 4 at most, and i know exactly which ones they are. Whereas with MPS you've got more then a hundred hard wired, and i have no idea which ones are mapped!

Some synths like Kontakt & Omnisphere let you disable these hard-wired CCs, and that would be a great addition to MPS!

Can you post a few examples of specific "hard-wired" CC numbers and what parameter each one changes in MPS? How do you get MPS to hard-wire them?

I can see that some of the presets have some MIDI CC numbers assigned. You can see them all in the "Map" (below). If you do not want them, you can deactivate them in "MIDI Settings", as Tagirijus mentioned.

DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

How do you get to that "All current mappings" window that you posted? I've never seen that before.

EDIT: i found it. There are no mappings shown there but there still seem to be a hundred or more hard-wired CCs.

Again, please give us a specific example so we understand what you mean.
Inspired by ...

Example is clearly stated above...........

Nope, I meant
-- tell us a specific CC number that is hard-wired,
-- and the exact MPS parameter that it controls,
-- and where you found it.

Edit: perhaps you can attach a ZIPped-up Exported MPS preset that shows the problem, with the above details.
Inspired by ...

Ah, i see........

It doesn't matter which preset, it's the same in each and every preset in the factory preset list.

It's just the normal generic mappings, so, main volume = CC7, main = CC10 etc.

EDIT: ignore the part about the PRO1 & PRO2 midi outs of my Roland controller in my post above. I tried it on my other computer with Cubase and there it's different.

But the fundamental problem remains the same: a large number of hard-wired CCs and nowhere a list of them so i can at least try to avoid using those CCs!!

This should be easily reproducible by anyone here:

Just assign CC7 to a knob or slider on your hardware midi controller. Tweak it while looking at the "Global" tab. You see the global volume moving in accordance with your tweak, right?!

Mr D wrote:This should be easily reproducible by anyone here:

Just assign CC7 to a knob or slider on your hardware midi controller. Tweak it while looking at the "Global" tab. You see the global volume moving in accordance with your tweak, right?!
I am on FL Studio here. There you have assign a controller to specific CC / controls of the plugin explicitly.

I did it with CC7 and tweaked the knob: yes, the "Volume" value moves now, while there is no mapping to this knob inside MPS. Is this a bug, Vojtech?

It still does not interfere with my workflow, since I first have to explicitly assign my hardware controller to this plugin CC. And if I do this, I do this, because I want this value to be tweaked with this controller, of course. Am I understanding it correct that your DAW automatically assigns this hardware controller to the CC7 of this plugin, without asking? Maybe it could be rated as some DAW issue rather than MPS only then? ;)

But yes: it's still weird that this controller link is not shown in the "All current mappings" list and not changeable.
System: Win 10 64 bit / i9 9900K (8x 3.6 GHz) / 16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM / 1TB M.2 SSD + 2x 500 GB SSD / RME Babyface / Reaper

Tagirijus.de

Thanks for checking it.

I don't think it's a bug, it's more a feature that's considered a "convenience"!

I've seen it in some other VSTi's, but i never saw one where you couldn't edit or disable it!

Here's an example of why it's a problem for me:

I have several midi controllers around my studio. They all have one midi knob or slider that's sending out CC7. I use this to control my monitoring volume via the control panel of my soundcard (RME HDSP 9652 Hammerfall). The main output of the RME is hardwired to CC7 and can't be changed (sound familiar haha!? :dog: )

So now when i'm playing MPowerSynth i can't change the volume (of my monitoring) on my various midi synths and controllers in the usual way, because MPowerSynth is also taking in CC7 and changing the volume!

OK, I see it now. CC#7 and #10 control the Global Volume and Panorama (there may be others too).

I agree, they should be listed in the "Map" and "MIDI settings/Controllers" so that they can be removed (that would work for backwards compatibility).
Inspired by ...

Return to “MeldaProduction”