Switching downloads from RAR format to ZIP files

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

We just changed the download method of all our Evolution guitar libraries to ZIP files instead of multi-part RAR files. We'll be updating the downloads for the other libraries shortly as well. Hopefully this will provide an easier and more convenient installation process.

We're making this switch for several reasons:

- While the RAR format has much better compression than ZIP files, this difference is negligible when using Kontakt's lossless NCW sample format.

- Windows and macOS can natively extract ZIP files, while RAR files require additional software.

- On macOS, RAR files typically extract to separate folders rather than being merged into the same single folder. This commonly results in the instrument not being able to find the samples. One of the reasons we recommended UnRarX for macOS users is because beyond being a lightweight, easy-to-use program it didn't have this problem, and properly extracted the RAR archives into the same destination. However, because UnRarX's development seemed to have been abandoned, it doesn't have macOS Catalina support, leaving users to resort to other RAR extraction programs.

- There's more room for error with the multi-part RAR files. For example, if you forgot to download all the RAR files, or if your browser appended anything to the filenames.

That being said, if you prefer having the libraries split into multiple download parts (for example, if your internet connection tends to be unstable and the downloads are finishing incomplete), just let us know and we'll provide alternate download links.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Well this i think will be a good first step to help new comers to Orange tree Guitars such as myself.
Having spent many hours yesterday trying to get my very first purchase up and running ( rock Standard) and I am really looking forward to trying it out.
What we really need is for the Users guide to be updated as Page 9 had me so confused, searching and installing UnRax with the Youtube videos also sending me down the same UnRaX route Yup,I was lost.
Obviously as I am new to Orange tree I do not want to make an installation error and
I also do not have enough hard drive space on my primary drive for to many more big libraries my preference now is to keep the sample library's on a separate 2nd internal 1tb SSD specifically for such sample library's,
Sorry to say as matters stand the installation for me remains unclear but to be fair I am very much the musician and very much not the technician Anyway guys please update the installation guide soon and a basic installation walkthrough video would work wonders for the likes of me
Thank you
Andy

Andystamp wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:22 pm Well this i think will be a good first step to help new comers to Orange tree Guitars such as myself.
Having spent many hours yesterday trying to get my very first purchase up and running ( rock Standard) and I am really looking forward to trying it out.
That's exactly why we're making the move away from the RAR format, especially now that > 3 GB ZIP files are much better supported between Windows/macOS.

As of right now all the Evolution guitars/basses have been updated, and we're uploading the rest of the libraries right now. EDIT: The rest of the libraries have been updated to the ZIP file delivery method.
Andystamp wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:22 pm What we really need is for the Users guide to be updated as Page 9 had me so confused, searching and installing UnRax with the Youtube videos also sending me down the same UnRaX route Yup,I was lost.
We're uploading updated PDF manuals and adjusting the installation instructions on the website as well.

Even though the ZIP format massively simplifies the installation process (just double-click on the ZIP file after downloading it to extract the library), like you said, video tutorials are always helpful. This time I think it would be useful to have a tutorial that shows the entire process--not just the extraction--from downloading the library all the way to loading it in Kontakt.

Because the libraries are all self-contained within that single folder, you can move it anywhere you want, like to your secondary internal hard drive as you mentioned. The only caveat is that after moving a library that's activated in Native Access, you need to launch Native Access afterward, and click the "Repair" button by the library's listing, and then the "Relocate" button so that you can tell Native Access where the library got moved to.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Ahh now things look very much clearer ,,
Being as I was following the un updated manual to a T I was actually attempting to un Rar zip files! pulling a few hairs out along the way I must add. So now I dumped the Un RarX all is fine. I do look forward to hearing when Cherry/ Core basses vibes etc are all ready to unzip I will wait for the updates before I purchase those rather than go back to the Rar thing.
I am sure it will be worth the wait if the standard is anything like the evolution guitars,
Absolutely beautifully crafted.
Please keep us Posted Greg when the updates are ready along with where to find any new tutorial materials & videos
ohh yes I forgot to say thank you for the great Email Support on this too, Very Much appreciated , I was told the support was good and you have not disappointed.

The rest of the libraries were updated to using ZIP files for delivery a day or two ago. The only thing left is the Mind Control multiscript now (and update its installation instructions to cover Kontakt 6 while I'm at it).
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Since the downloads have changed from rar to zip, My Account Page shows " x download link has been updated since you last downloaded the sample library, and needs to be re-downloaded" It's difficult to know if there are updates in the Files because no File Version is noted. Could it be possible to indicate the File (Sample Library) version so we don't download unnecessary files.
Thanks for your help

Good idea, and I think in general we need better version tracking along with changelogs.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”