Swich Licour - Folded Cloth [Electronic/Samples/Bass]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone. Anyone fancy taking a listen to this and giving me some feedback on the mix/levels (or the track itself, of course)? My monitoring set up isn't exactly professional, so it's difficult to get a handle on the levels. I think the bass might be a bit high/boomy..?

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/4/24/ ... 0Cloth.mp3

Or

http://soundcloud.com/swichlicour/folded-cloth

First off: I found that to be a very enjoyable listen! Really awesome track.

Mix-wise, I do hear some problems with the bass. At times it does seem boomy, but throughout the track, it also seems a bit indistinct, while also masking the kick.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

synthgeek wrote:First off: I found that to be a very enjoyable listen! Really awesome track.

Mix-wise, I do hear some problems with the bass. At times it does seem boomy, but throughout the track, it also seems a bit indistinct, while also masking the kick.
Thanks for listening man, I appreciate it. The bass being both boomy and indistinct is a bit of a problem! It's not supposed to be immaculately crisp and clear, mind - I wanted it to be wrapped up in the rest of the track, which itself I was trying to get slightly dirty and not completely defined (if that makes much sense - not sure that it does!).

Any idea what frequencies you'd cut or boost from your end? One difficulty in EQing it is that I used the same instrument to play the low register, and some higher notes as well, which makes it problematic to make cuts without affecting one register adversely. Maybe I should double the track and separate it into a high-pass/low-pass EQing task...?

You're welcome. :)

Hmmm... I might start with just turning down the worst notes using velocity or automation or whatever - it seems to me like it's just that one mid-high note that really jumps out, and I'm guessing it's not going to need a huge adjustment. It seems like the very first time the bass & kick hit together, the low end mix is just about perfect, maybe use that as a reference point.

I would also try using a little EQ to accentuate the hit/punch of the kick a bit - just a little something to help keep it from disappearing during the busier parts. Either cut the lows & turn the whole thing up if needed, or use the old boost & sweep trick to find the frequency that best brings the punch out, and adjust to taste.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

Yep good plan, I'll try to bring the kick out a little more, find the rogue bass notes and turn them down (I had done that originally, but it seems a few got through the net).

I can kind of hear the bass problem, but I'm not sure I'd have noticed it if I hadn't been listening for it. Then again my hearing's not so good. The piece itself I quite enjoyed. Thanks.
No longer a moderator.

Thanks man. I think it's a partial issue that only comes up at points - some kind of masking going on with the low frequencies in places. In my quest for production improvements all this feedback is gold dust. Glad you liked the track itself.

Return to “Music Cafe”