S_Y_T_R_O_P_H_I_A - Sci-Fi Film Soundtrack

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a track I finished up producing earlier this year. It also happens to be the longest track I've ever produced to date, in my 25 years of producing music.

I'll just note that I'm not looking to do anymore tinkering with this track and is more to just show what I can do as a producer.

https://soundcloud.com/scott-moncrieff- ... _o_p_h_i_a

The story of
SYTROPHIA

SYTROPHIA - Is a colony city based on the moon Europa, which has been created by robotic machines sent from earth. The elements of earth which are essential for human life to exist were sent there. Animals from earth were sent in cryogenic containers, but no normal animals, these were modified at DNA level to cope with the conditions on the moon but have mutated in frightening ways.

The DNA that was injected into these animals contain human DNA so their behavior would simulate human characteristics and be more advanced than those on earth. The robotic machines, were disconnected from remote controls from earth when the control tower was taken out by an electrical storm. In such conditions, the robots default back to their original games mode which is to fight, defend and attack. They are completely self automated, and since developed their own instructions which are set to eliminate other surrounding planets, including earth. The colony on the moon Europa has deteriorated badly since, however a primitive church remains and is used by the DNA modified animals to warn of threats from robots and intruders.

You are an intruder, a modified solider, part machine / part human a cyborg and you have been sent to disable the robots central computer system on SYTROPHIA and prevent them from attacking earth.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Quite ambitious to invent your own movie to score.

This flowed nicely from section to section. The mix was well balanced and easy on the ears. I listened to the full 11 minutes multiple times.

Great job! :tu:

Frantz wrote:Quite ambitious to invent your own movie to score.

This flowed nicely from section to section. The mix was well balanced and easy on the ears. I listened to the full 11 minutes multiple times.

Great job! :tu:
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it, but yeah...it was quite a technical feat in production terms to produce this track. There is almost 300 tracks in the entire production of this, which called on so many tricks from using external synthesizers and using multi track compositing and mixing techniques. It is today still one of the most complex tracks I've ever composed. I've lost count of the number of times I've listened to it myself :lol:
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Very tranecy, which is where I presume your nick comes from. I like trance, so I like this. The cinematic elements are very atmospheric and transition nicely.

Not sure I want to go to Europa now though.

Vortifex wrote:300 tracks, blimey :o I can tell you put a lot of work into it. Definitely nailed the cinematic vibe. Just to make one negative critique, during the section between 7.00 - 8.00 it sounded like the kick and other elements kept being pushed back, perhaps by the lead synth, and then the volume would abruptly rise again. Not sure if that was intentional. Just a slight niggle. Overall you did a great job. Definitely lots going on there to keep the listener entertained.
Thanks for commenting...

Yeah...it took about 3 to 4 weeks to produce but that was over a couple of months as I was composing other tracks at the time.... kinda like one big musical project really. Normally and what I use to do is that I'd take just 2 or 3 days to get a track down because I've had a short attention span of inspiration to carry on with it. But nowadays, the music I create is so complex and about twice or three times the size I have produced in years past, that I need to try and give the time it really deserves and to try and not to rush it. I've developed my own compositional technique.

On the track section you highlighted, I'm not sure if it was intentional or if I deliberately used a side chaining effect with the drums and synth... It was created at the tail end of last year and where it was finally expanded with final section at the end and put on soundcloud shortly after.

There are one or two unintentional things in this bounced down version, but I sorta figured I'd leave them as it gives the track a living feel as if you are actually there and part of it.

For equipment I use ATH M50's Headphones with a Focusright Pro 14 audio interface, the track was composed in Studio One 3 on my almost 8 year old 17 920 Desktop system.

Happy to read you enjoyed it :-)

sjm wrote:Very tranecy, which is where I presume your nick comes from. I like trance, so I like this. The cinematic elements are very atmospheric and transition nicely.

Not sure I want to go to Europa now though.
Yeah...it's got that trancy vibe to it :) As for my user name, well it actually originates from a user name I gave myself on a forum called Reasonstation way back in 2001. A lot of my music, created with Reason 1.0..2.0..3.0.. was uploaded to their song upload system on that old site that no longer exists now. The name was uniquely different but fitted the type of music and intention I had in entrancing one's mind.

The timing of the transitions on this track is something that I took particular attention to in sitting correctly. Creating enough natural space for elements to breathe.

Thanks for commenting :) :ud:

THE INTRANCER wrote:
The timing of the transitions on this track is something that I took particular attention to in sitting correctly. Creating enough natural space for elements to breathe.
Very well done... quite complex yet well integrated!

For my aesthetic, I would like to have even more breathing room in the first two non rhythmic more atmospheric sections. Those sections felt just a bit hurried timing-wise. The other sections not.

trippy and fast that what i like :D good work here love the trancey vibe :)

pdxindy wrote:
THE INTRANCER wrote:
Very well done... quite complex yet well integrated!

For my aesthetic, I would like to have even more breathing room in the first two non rhythmic more atmospheric sections. Those sections felt just a bit hurried timing-wise. The other sections not.
Well, I think in the earlier sections, I chose to try and keep the momentum going rather than dragging these parts out longer than they really needed to be. The risk of not doing that is that you lose the listeners attention, but more importantly lose the tension and ability to convey a picture in one's mind as if they are watching something on screen. It's sort of creating a dynamic, but in a very subtle way whilst removing predictability later on in the track. It's a bit of a balancing act....but yeah I can see your point. Just close your eyes's and imagine your own fantasy world as if you were in a film...and your expectations about timing will disappear I think. :)

Can't wait to see the movie... great soundtrack!

siriusquarks wrote:Can't wait to see the movie... great soundtrack!

I've actually got another unpublished track, in which I intend to create a movie for. Making a film for this track would be quite a bit of work though, even if I have modelled the planet and spaceships..Think I'd need ILM's help., haha.

Return to “Music Cafe”