doob (a bit weird)(seriously!)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hmmm. very "Beyond experimental"... i'm sorry but i don't have the patience for a 32 minute track, but so far it sounds really pro... GL HF. ;).
Aspiring HipHop Producer: https://soundcloud.com/djlfd

it's pretty wild

I'm inspired by the more extreme gestures, particularly. The heavy metal (ie., loud) sort of dense distortion...

there is one definitely weird aspect for me, in that your stopping parts the reverb completely stops as well so I think it's ended; again and again I wonder 'is this it?'. So that's interesting. It's completely unnatural; and it adds tension because it f**ks with expectation.

Your recent stuff has this old-school sound to it a lot of the time. I'd guess you have an Echoplex or something like it if you're not actually using tape recorders for the echo, but it has tape echo all over it, sonically anyway. And some type of wobble/modulation which is not modern.

DJ LFD wrote:Hmmm. very "Beyond experimental"... i'm sorry but i don't have the patience for a 32 minute track, but so far it sounds really pro... GL HF. ;).

well luckily this is less than ten mins :lol:

thanks for listening. :)

jancivil wrote:it's pretty wild

I'm inspired by the more extreme gestures, particularly. The heavy metal (ie., loud) sort of dense distortion...
this one is, remember that track you said it sounded like i killed r2d2? that glitch effect, on guitar, then chopped up and fed to ni form.
then recorded the output on to a guitar rig looper and overdubbed a few passes.
there is one definitely weird aspect for me, in that your stopping parts the reverb completely stops as well so I think it's ended; again and again I wonder 'is this it?'. So that's interesting. It's completely unnatural; and it adds tension because it f**ks with expectation.
i added a gate to the output, so it cuts off most of the heavy reverb tails, there is however a further light reverb after the gate just to smooth the edges a little.
Your recent stuff has this old-school sound to it a lot of the time. I'd guess you have an Echoplex or something like it if you're not actually using tape recorders for the echo, but it has tape echo all over it, sonically anyway. And some type of wobble/modulation which is not modern.
i wish i had an echoplex! :o sadly im not that rich, so im making use of the ehx canyon pedal.
mainly purchased after watching the demo and seeing the sample and hold function as i already have plenty of delays. then found the looper onboard did decaying loops, so could do frippertronic style stuff.
then a few of the delay modes are really nice too, the tape and dmm in particular, the dmm considering its a digital emu pretty much nails my memory mans sound.

for the price its a great little pedal.

DJ LFD wrote:Hmmm. very "Beyond experimental"... i'm sorry but i don't have the patience for a 32 minute track, but so far it sounds really pro... GL HF. ;).
32 minutes? Which track were you playing? :-D This one is about 4.5 minutes.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

It's not my kind of structure, but there are some neat and interesting sounds here. i'm with jancivil on the whole gated tails messing with me, leaving me wondering "is it over?" i kept checking the playback... ;-) There's that end bit that's like "yeah we're done, NOPE, yes we are" :-)

But yeah, very cool sounds... i liked the wailing guitarish thing and whatnot. i'd love to know about your workflow; how you go about making these sounds. i've been trying to motivate myself to mess with feedback loops again, since i had fun with them years ago.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Really diverse sounds but they work together very well. There is this constant struggle between organic textures and unnatural movements. Not just the sharp gating but the abrupt transitions between different sounds. I enjoyed it greatly, have gone back for several listens now.

Thanks for sharing.

I also like playing with people's expectations. It's a great way to keep listener's interest in more challenging experimental pieces or a way to take a listener out of their comfort zone in more traditional/standard musical structures.

Jace-BeOS wrote:
32 minutes? Which track were you playing? :-D This one is about 4.5 minutes.
mebbe he accidentally opened it in paulstretch?

hmmm.......

Jace-BeOS wrote:It's not my kind of structure, but there are some neat and interesting sounds here. i'm with jancivil on the whole gated tails messing with me, leaving me wondering "is it over?" i kept checking the playback... ;-) There's that end bit that's like "yeah we're done, NOPE, yes we are" :-)

But yeah, very cool sounds... i liked the wailing guitarish thing and whatnot. i'd love to know about your workflow; how you go about making these sounds. i've been trying to motivate myself to mess with feedback loops again, since i had fun with them years ago.

this particular track is as i said to jan, some guitar through the ottobit jr. then chose about 20/25 seconds worth of sounds i thought might be interesting using native instruments "form".

then it was just a case of playing notes while modulating various parameters.

using the looper from guitar rig to record, then overdub "straight to tape" 3 or 4 passes.
interesting side note : the length was decided by me finishing a spliff, that was when i switched from record to overdub on the recorder :hihi:

my workflow changes from track to track, well not every track has a unique workflow, but i have a few different ways of working.
for example one day i might just plug in and see what happens :ud: while another day i will use my gamers die to map out a piece.

thanks for listening, and if it has inspired you in some way, alls the better :D

justin3am wrote:Really diverse sounds but they work together very well. There is this constant struggle between organic textures and unnatural movements. Not just the sharp gating but the abrupt transitions between different sounds. I enjoyed it greatly, have gone back for several listens now.

Thanks for sharing.

i thought this might be up your alley :)

the weird thing is, the sound sources aren't that diverse at all :o
its form, theres some kind of voodoo in there
or math :lol:

Would love to hear the sounds arranged in the context of a slightly more formal composition. So many cool effects, but not exactly a "piece" with its somewhat stop-start nature.

The mosquito wailing was particularly noteworthy.

Some of the sounds were uncomfortably close to a dental procedure I recently experienced, so I was naturally hoping for less than 32 minutes. Imagine my surprise when I was able to to get out of the chair before the anesthetic had kicked in. Now I have to go in search of tissues for the drool cleanup phase of operations.

People also ask

How long before anesthesia can you eat dentist?

I kid you not

Good work :)

vurt wrote:this particular track is as i said to jan,
Whoops, I didn't process what I read in that reply to jancivil. Sorry for the repeat.
vurt wrote:some guitar through the ottobit jr. then chose about 20/25 seconds worth of sounds i thought might be interesting using native instruments "form".

then it was just a case of playing notes while modulating various parameters.

using the looper from guitar rig to record, then overdub "straight to tape" 3 or 4 passes.
interesting side note : the length was decided by me finishing a spliff, that was when i switched from record to overdub on the recorder :hihi:
Thanks for the added details :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Music Cafe”