Subaqueous (ElectroProg - Seismic Pastels)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
9042 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Post Thu May 10, 2018 5:38 pm

biodiode wrote:Lovely evolving ambient track. Nicely done and congrats on your first release of 2018.
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, biodiode. Glad you liked it :)

I have another track due for release in September. I'm hopeful of completing another 2 or 3 tracks before then, if the demands of the day-job allow it.

User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
9042 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Re: Subaqueous (ElectroProg - Seismic Pastels)

Post Sat May 12, 2018 5:20 pm

markkuja wrote:Pleasant ambient music. The restful and hovering trip at soundscape.
Nice orchestration and synthsounds. Good job.
Thank you very much for taking the time to listen and comment, Markku. Glad you liked it :)

"restful and hovering" is a suitable description, imo.

User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
9042 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Re: Subaqueous (ElectroProg - Seismic Pastels)

Post Mon May 14, 2018 5:12 pm

Frantz wrote:This is what I'll listen to when cruising 20,000 leagues beneath the sea in my silver subaqueous submarine.

All sorts of pleasantly mysterious sounds cascading at different levels of the frequency spectrum. Quite a soothing voyage. Somehow familiar and new at the same time.

Excellent work! :tu:
Many thanks very much for listening and for the great comments, Frantz. Glad you liked it :)

Music of the (bathy)spheres

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
37840 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Subaqueous (ElectroProg - Seismic Pastels)

Post Thu May 17, 2018 7:15 am

my word, that was lovely 8)
i almost drifted away, time slip.

ChamMusic
KVRian
893 posts since 12 Jun, 2006

Re: Subaqueous (ElectroProg - Seismic Pastels)

Post Thu May 17, 2018 2:43 pm

I'm seriously 'off' ambient music at the moment as I seem to be finding so much of it deeply unsatisfying - lacking subtlety/ nuance in the application of various musical elements...

This is what it should sound like!

Loved it!

The individual sounds are exquisite at times, but more importantly, you have carefully and seamlessly sewn them all together into something magical.

User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
9042 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Re: Subaqueous (ElectroProg - Seismic Pastels)

Post Thu May 17, 2018 5:39 pm

sbj wrote:Soothing and dreamy...And the theremin like synth is spot on.

Cheers :tu:
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, sbj. Glad it had the desired effect :)

User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
9042 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Re: Subaqueous (ElectroProg - Seismic Pastels)

Post Sat May 19, 2018 5:24 pm

wagtunes wrote:Very well done.
Thanks very much for listening and commenting. Glad you liked it :)

User avatar
Unaspected
KVRist
437 posts since 4 May, 2012

Re: Subaqueous (ElectroProg - Seismic Pastels)

Post Sun May 20, 2018 7:51 am

Some nice dreamy pads in there. I love those soft, high frequencies.

I'm not sure if the bass is too resonant but I think it could be a touch louder. Also the lead could be a little further back in the mix in places - I would use compression for this.

User avatar
jethrobull
KVRian
1372 posts since 5 Jun, 2011 from England,UK

Re: Subaqueous (ElectroProg - Seismic Pastels)

Post Sun May 20, 2018 8:01 am

Gorgeous track,beautiful pads. Not been around much lately but coming back and hearing this has certainly put me back in the mood.Fantastic work! :tu:
All the audience cares about is being fed a stream of songs that they know and can sing along to.
.......................
myfeebleeffort
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

ChamMusic
KVRian
893 posts since 12 Jun, 2006

Re: Subaqueous (ElectroProg - Seismic Pastels)

Post Sun May 20, 2018 9:01 am

Unaspected wrote:Also the lead could be a little further back in the mix in places - I would use compression for this.
in most scenarios, use of compression will bring a sound further to the front of a mix:

You compress the signal so that the loudest few decibels are 'squashed' dynamically which then has two consequences:

1) Shortens the distance, dynamically, between the quietest and loudest signals.

2) Gives you more headroom for boosting the overall signal of the track. (Often done automatically as a gain control in the compressor).

User avatar
Unaspected
KVRist
437 posts since 4 May, 2012

Re: Subaqueous (ElectroProg - Seismic Pastels)

Post Sun May 20, 2018 9:31 am

ChamMusic wrote:
Unaspected wrote:Also the lead could be a little further back in the mix in places - I would use compression for this.
in most scenarios, use of compression will bring a sound further to the front of a mix:

You compress the signal so that the loudest few decibels are 'squashed' dynamically which then has two consequences:

1) Shortens the distance, dynamically, between the quietest and loudest signals.

2) Gives you more headroom for boosting the overall signal of the track. (Often done automatically as a gain control in the compressor).
It raises the noisefloor, yes. But if you have your threshold set correctly then the ratio control should push things back. It should restrict the signal level and also reduce detail which, to me, sounds like pushing the sound back in the mix whilst keeping it dry.

Other suggestions might be some reverb but I would favour a 1 pole LPF.

ChamMusic
KVRian
893 posts since 12 Jun, 2006

Re: Subaqueous (ElectroProg - Seismic Pastels)

Post Sun May 20, 2018 9:53 am

I see where you're coming from...

Your talking about using compression, primarily, for taming just the transients...yes that could push a sound back in the mix a little bit...apologies, I was just thinking about your basic run of the mill compression routines.

Yes, By using a fast attack / release time, the compressor will respond almost instantaneously when a signal’s amplitude crosses that threshold...If the threshold is set so that only the attack of a signal triggers the compressor, then these settings on a compressor can be used to tame just the transients of a signal...

Lowering the threshold and increasing the ratio will then squash more of the transient, resulting in a higher relative amplitude for the note’s sustain. I've occasionally used extreme settings with this technique in parallel compression.

Yes, this 'transient tamer technique' could be used to perceptually push an instrument back a touch in a mix because the attack in particular does not cut through as much.

User avatar
Unaspected
KVRist
437 posts since 4 May, 2012

Re: Subaqueous (ElectroProg - Seismic Pastels)

Post Sun May 20, 2018 10:12 am

ChamMusic wrote:I see where you're coming from...

Your talking about using compression, primarily, for taming just the transients...yes that could push a sound back in the mix a little bit...apologies, I was just thinking about your basic run of the mill compression routines.

Yes, By using a fast attack / release time, the compressor will respond almost instantaneously when a signal’s amplitude crosses that threshold...If the threshold is set so that only the attack of a signal triggers the compressor, then these settings on a compressor can be used to tame just the transients of a signal...

Lowering the threshold and increasing the ratio will then squash more of the transient, resulting in a higher relative amplitude for the note’s sustain. I've occasionally used extreme settings with this technique in parallel compression.

Yes, this 'transient tamer technique' could be used to perceptually push an instrument back a touch in a mix because the attack in particular does not cut through as much.
You've got it. :)

There are so many uses for compressors. I understand purists who like to mix with microphones only - I really respect that too - but I can't imagine mixing without compression.

ChamMusic
KVRian
893 posts since 12 Jun, 2006

Re: Subaqueous (ElectroProg - Seismic Pastels)

Post Sun May 20, 2018 10:23 am

but I can't imagine mixing without compression...

Never, ever! Along with EQ, It's central to my sound sculpting routine.

User avatar
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
4868 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Re: Subaqueous (ElectroProg - Seismic Pastels)

Post Mon May 21, 2018 10:13 am

That's really good again. I think I said before, what sets stuff I've heard from you apart from a lot of sinthesiser music I hear is that there's obviously a plan and a musical intent behind it, rather than some wacky knob twiddling with no real progression of melody/structure etc. Mix sounds good to me too, nice and full with none of the piercing saw (as I believe such things are known) sounds you sometimes get. Still needs more jangle mind.. :hihi:

Nice one.

Return to “Music Cafe”