The Hope

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

layzer wrote:it was a tri-fold trip. i liked the last part best, but really enjoyed the atmo of it all.
good job :tu:
Obviously you have great taste in music. :hihi:

sjm wrote:I can understand that the first section comes across as less interesting. It's not involved, complex or particularly innovative. Maybe a bit kitchy even. But as an emotional expression, why not? It seems to me like a valid expression of a particular emotion, and sometimes these emotions aren't complex and agonising or intricate. Sometimes overintellectualising is counterproductive, in particular when it comes to emotional expression.

It's also better to finish strongly than end with a whimper, and the increase in dynamism towards the end moves the song from a feeling of well-being and calm to one of marching optimistically forward and an intent to seize the moment.

So from my point of view, I can connect on an emotional level. I feel that I have been able to tap into phil's emotions through his music; if that's the intention, and if the emotion phil meant to convey is not a particularly complex one, then it works for me. I mean, it sounds hopeful, doesn't it, and ends on an optimistic upbeat note? :D

It's obviously not the sort of music I regularly listen to, so I don't have any constructive criticism beyond my own emotional response to offer.
Thanks for your personal thought about this music sjm.

The first part does make a sort of rather simple Roses are Red, Violets are Blue statement but why not. Half of the planet usually falls for it.

JazzyClarinetMan wrote:A bit too 'normal' for my own personal tastes, (my problem, not yours) but I still really liked the melodies in this piece. Very filmy.
Thanks for commenting!

Overview:
Enjoyed listening.
It effectively creates a series of clearly defined atmosphere and moods.

From the very first notes I was immediately thinking Spaghetti Western - tender scene of course at this stage...yes it is simple, but it works. Arvo Part - a fabulous example of someone who writes extraordinarily simple ideas that just work...it's a skill that many composers do NOT possess!

Musical Content:
ALL the sections are effective in creating a clear vision / ambience.
They all have good melodic ideas supported by simple, but appropriate harmonies.
For me, personally, I wanted:
• More nuanced development of the musical content and, especially in the last section, more dynamic
rise and fall and textural fluidity and variety.
• Maybe a tweak here and there to further enhance the melodic flow.
• More use of counterpoint.
• More complex harmonies at certain points.

BUT…
That’s just my opinion as, musically, it works as it is! Maybe my ideas would over complicate it? I can hear them in my head, but, obviously, haven't actually tried them out!

Production- Wise:
Overall it works quite well.

My big issue here is, (in its widest sense), the ‘orchestral’ nature of the piece…

It’s all OK, but doesn’t quite work for me because of the static nature of the sampled sounds…to my ear, they need subtle variation and ongoing change programmed into them + more variety in articulation and phrasing to be more convincing…whole passages use the same articulations on brass and strings etc…something that would never happen in a real orchestra.
fastlanephil wrote:I realize this isn’t exactly the forum for more classical based efforts
Not sure that I agree with the sentiment; I'm mulling it over, but I don't regard this as a particularly classical piece...more an orchestral arrangement of pop / rock music ideas and approaches...although I will put out there that I have a passionate dislike of musical labels and genres anyway, so I don't know why I'm actually typing this bit! :0)
fastlanephil wrote:I agree that there is a slight western feel to the last section although I was probably inspired by the Scherzo(third movement) of Beethoven’s Third Symphony.
Fair enough, I know how that can work sometimes myself, but I really can't hear any direct musical link between that Scherzo and your piece.
fastlanephil wrote:Beethoven’s 3rd Symphony and I think particularly that Scherzo moved classical music from the era of Mozart/Hasdin to the romantic period
That's seriously overstated for me, although I do take your point that Beethoven No.3 was an important 'moment' in the transition between the Classical period and the Romantic era. There were a lot of other important 'moments' as well! :0)
fastlanephil wrote:the romantic period which is still being used, structurally at least, in modern soundtrack.
Sorry, I disagree with this - the structure of soundtrack music is almost always entirely based on the visuals that it accompanies. Beyond that, the Classical Scoring Technique is probably the other biggest influence on the shape and content...so beloved of composers such as Max Steiner and John Williams etc.
fastlanephil wrote:I have already run this one by a few quite accompished and formally trained neo-classical composers and they enjoyed it as is
And so they should've done..it works! :0)

BUT...it's really not Neoclassical music at all...

NC Music was:

1) a reaction against the unrestrained emotionalism and perceived formlessness of late Romanticism,
2) a "call to order" after the experimental ferment of the first two decades of the twentieth century.

It found its expression in such features as:
1) the use of pared-down performing forces
I can probably give you that one to some extent, although it doesn't have a typical NC structure.
2) an emphasis on rhythm and on contrapuntal texture
It doesn't really do this...maybe rhythm to some extent in the final section?
3) an updated or expanded tonal harmony,
definitely not.
4) a concentration on absolute music as opposed to Romantic program music.
Doesn't tick this box for me.

I've got to stop!

Probably, no one's still reading anyway...sorry for rambling...

I'm taking a break from complex orchestral composing and this was very relaxing to listen to and write about.

Return to “Music Cafe”