Killahpl - Freedom Force (Film Music/Symphonic Metal/Work in Progress)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

layzer wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:07 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:30 am
layzer wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:07 amIt's the same with music production.
It's certainly one way of making music :tu:
most people would agree its the best way
for a beginner. then one could go on to some
non standard, advanced so called "music"
but the op is more interested in composition than engineering.

vurt wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:27 pm
layzer wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:07 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:30 am
layzer wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:07 amIt's the same with music production.
It's certainly one way of making music :tu:
most people would agree its the best way
for a beginner. then one could go on to some
non standard, advanced so called "music"
but the op is more interested in composition than engineering.
Yes, that is absolutely the case, thanks for pointing that out.

gotta learm to walk before you can run.
anyway, im done here.
i make my point then off i go.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:48 pmi make my point then off i go.
Yeah! You're such an enigma :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The drum fills have to have integrity with the idea. I don't want to dismiss your idea, which is really none of my affair, but pretty much immediately it's clear it's just flown in from somewhere with no particular meaning. And it's the same again and again. Drummers may do something like that and repeat the same fill, but it's not a great move usually, and it has to be a real thought, it seems like something from a construction kit.

jancivil wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:10 pm The drum fills have to have integrity with the idea. I don't want to dismiss your idea, which is really none of my affair, but pretty much immediately it's clear it's just flown in from somewhere with no particular meaning. And it's the same again and again. Drummers may do something like that and repeat the same fill, but it's not a great move usually, and it has to be a real thought, it seems like something from a construction kit.
youll know more than me, drum notation...
does it have all the bells and whistles on the score?
or would a drummer be presented something as stilted as here, then expected to add life?
i know there would be accents and such, but how much is prewritten in composition and how much is the individual drummer on that given recording? (does that make sense?)

if that is the ops goal, to compose then get musos to actualise the piece, maybe leaving room for interpretation not so bad an idea...

however, if you are looking to do all yourself, then you are going to need to do all that accenting/push pull stuff yourself.
try drumming along to pieces similar to your aimed piece, even just hands on the table, feel out the groove.
at the moment it sounds more robotic than some dance music stuff :hihi:
but youre open to critique and learning, so youll get there.

we may sound harsh, but were pushing you to be your best.
not to be arseholes.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:54 pm
Yeah! You're such an enema :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:o

:hihi:

vurt wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:32 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:54 pm
Yeah! You're such an enema :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:o

:hihi:
I actually had to go back and check :o :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

My Feedback

Music - 3
Instruments - 6
Performance - 1
Mix - 7

Overall - 4.25

Comments: With all the noise being made about this piece, I had to finally give it a listen. I don't even know where to begin. Everybody's bitching about the drums but they are by far not the only thing wrong with this train wreck.

For starters, I can't for the life of me follow any sort of musical progression in this piece. Sounds like a bunch of chords just thrown together. The horrendous rhythm just adds to the confusion. There is just too much wrong with this to fix through any kind of critique. I'd need a PhD in music to be able to do this justice.

I have to ask the OP. Do you have any musical training at all? Because by the sounds of this, I'd say no. Maybe somebody already said it but if not, learn music theory. At least the basics. Learn time signature if nothing else. The difference between 3/4 and 4/4 and the difference between a quarter note and a half note. Something, anything. This sounds like somebody took a badly written AI program and created "music" with it.

vurt wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:31 pm
jancivil wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:10 pm The drum fills have to have integrity with the idea. I don't want to dismiss your idea, which is really none of my affair, but pretty much immediately it's clear it's just flown in from somewhere with no particular meaning. And it's the same again and again. Drummers may do something like that and repeat the same fill, but it's not a great move usually, and it has to be a real thought, it seems like something from a construction kit.
youll know more than me, drum notation...
does it have all the bells and whistles on the score?
or would a drummer be presented something as stilted as here, then expected to add life?
i know there would be accents and such, but how much is prewritten in composition and how much is the individual drummer on that given recording? (does that make sense?)
It really depends what the goal is.
One of the real lightbulb on moments particularly in my early development was when the teacher's answer to 'so how do I get here' to Mitch Mitchell on Hendrix Fire was I had to write out the component parts, kick, snare, hat, ride.

Then, I worked with a drummer who could really play, and he could without being told pick up some very tricky things well enough, but if you told him what it was he would lose it, this whole thinking business got totally in the way.
(working with drummers during a certain period drove me to get back into drums)

I was a drummer for a few years, and much later I was called to provide something the actual drummer of the group was confused by. I just flew by the seat of my pants, albeit I had a little training.

Typically the iconic fills in Zappa he actually totally specified what to play and subsequent drummers had a pretty specified map with a little bit of room for personality. But that is literal composition, the drummers were quite free in general.
I don't 'write' anything, but I know where everything is. You don't have to conceptualize it verbally particularly or know anything. But the fill here is out of nowhere, there's no reality to it.

Take this as constructive, this is clearly the product of guesses in the piano roll with no reality to back your play up.
Last edited by jancivil on Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:05 pmMaybe somebody already said it but if not, learn music theory. At least the basics. Learn time signature if nothing else. The difference between 3/4 and 4/4 and the difference between a quarter note and a half note. Something, anything. This sounds like somebody took a badly written AI program and created "music" with it.
Well, the OP is in the Music Theory board and I take him as a honest sort, but this I feel really needs the reality check.

Actually listening through a second time (this time not on my phone) I get a much better idea of what your intent is, and actually I don't find it jarring like on the first listen. Even the drums are ok, in most places.

I think this is definitely missing a bassline, and suffers in general from the choice of sounds, especially considering the metal aspect you are going for (In fact, ironically, that is definitely where the drums show the intent).

P.S It's ok! I don't know a lick of theory, either :tu:

jancivil wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:25 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:05 pmMaybe somebody already said it but if not, learn music theory. At least the basics. Learn time signature if nothing else. The difference between 3/4 and 4/4 and the difference between a quarter note and a half note. Something, anything. This sounds like somebody took a badly written AI program and created "music" with it.
Well, the OP is in the Music Theory board and I take him as a honest sort, but this I feel really needs the reality check.
yeah, he seems to be looking to learn.
so hopefully, as you say hell take all this constructively :)

thanks for the info above 8)
i never really did much with drums, tried a few times, would get a basic beat going with both hands, then as soon as i tried any feet movements, it fell apart :hihi:

Return to “Music Cafe”