My first take on Psytrance

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been doing uplifting trance for quite some time, so it's time to venture out!
It's my first take on Psytrance. Hopefully, it wasn't so bad. :D
I was aiming for the style of Astrix and Protoculture/Shadow Chronicles

Anyways, enjoy, if you can! :clown:
https://soundcloud.com/ray_d8/furnace/s-bJPGasxnHEA
Trance, Trance Is Life

hhuang9611 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:27 am Hopefully, it wasn't so bad. :D
It was VERY good.

As expected actually, i remember your other tracks.

Awesome production and all the elemets I expect from and love about psytrance executed really well. Very cool acid riff from approx 5:05, simple but effective (I'd make it a bit louder/agressive, but it's a taste thing).

7:19 Massive preset from Zenhiser? :wink: Even if it is, you seem to have modified it enough tho
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:46 am It was VERY good.

As expected actually, i remember your other tracks.

Awesome production and all the elemets I expect from and love about psytrance executed really well. Very cool acid riff from approx 5:05, simple but effective (I'd make it a bit louder/agressive, but it's a taste thing).
Thank you very much! I'm glad that you liked it! :hug:
recursive one wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:46 am 7:19 Massive preset from Zenhiser? :wink: Even if it is, you seem to have modified it enough tho
Well, I guess it's the cat out of the bag then :hihi:
I have to confess, I used Zehiser's presets all over the place. Psy for Sylenth, Psy for Serum, Psy for Omnisphere,...you name it! Their presets are just so great (plus I'm very lazy about sound design :oops: ). Though I did extra processing for most of them, so there is still some original elements to it, I hope.

BTW, I have to add that I did the kick and bass entirely from scratch! No presets, no samples. I used Kick2 for kick and Ableton's Operator for bass. Took me... well, I don't actually know how long, since it was like many small adjustments scattered through many days. But I can definitely say that a lot of effort went into it! And it's totally worth it!
Trance, Trance Is Life

hhuang9611 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:03 am I have to confess, I used Zehiser's presets all over the place. Psy for Sylenth, Psy for Serum, Psy for Omnisphere,...you name it! Their presets are just so great (plus I'm very lazy about sound design :oops: ). Though I did extra processing for most of them, so there is still some original elements to it, I hope.
Nevermind, most people won't ever notice or care. Anyways, making the presets is maybe 5% of all the efforts needed to make a good track.

I just thought this groove sounded familar from one of the Zenhizer banks which I also own :)
hhuang9611 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:03 am BTW, I have to add that I did the kick and bass entirely from scratch! No presets, no samples. I used Kick2 for kick and Ableton's Operator for bass. Took me... well, I don't actually know how long, since it was like many small adjustments scattered through many days. But I can definitely say that a lot of effort went into it! And it's totally worth it!
:tu: The kick/bass sound great here!
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Sounds fantastic. 8/10
Your natural talent makes me sick :x :lol:

(would have been a 9.5 if you did more of the sound design).
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Kick and bass are a bit dominant, I'd mix those a bit down to be more balanced and to be able to hear more of all the other sounds.
First 4 minutes were a bit boring, but generally I'm just jealous because even that first 4 minutes is more interesting than the main climax in my tracks.. Last 4 minutes were worth of a boner.

Very well done.

I quit music and start a hamster farm.

Woah - the intensity of sound in that is amazing. I hope you do a lot more psytrance because you are clearly good at it. That was awesome from start to finish.

Sounds great. Not much more to say really. Excellent job! :tu:

PS - If Recursive likes it, it's gotta be good.

Overall, I like it. The thing that I would question is whether you might have made the track a bit too busy. There's an awful lot going on much of the time. The knock-on effect this brings is that you don't have much space in the track - that space is normally filled up with reverb etc. rather than additional instrumentation, and is what gives psy et al that trip-like nature.

By restricting the space through the busy arrangement, I feel you might have lost a little bit of that "mind-opening" experience that I find key to the genre. Sometimes less is more.

I still enjoyed the track, don't get me wrong. But maybe there is something to think about here?

Mushy Mushy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:59 am Sounds fantastic. 8/10
Your natural talent makes me sick :x :lol:

(would have been a 9.5 if you did more of the sound design).
Now, do I feel good about making other people sick :lol: Thanks for the compliment!

Distorted Horizon wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:05 am Kick and bass are a bit dominant, I'd mix those a bit down to be more balanced and to be able to hear more of all the other sounds.
First 4 minutes were a bit boring, but generally I'm just jealous because even that first 4 minutes is more interesting than the main climax in my tracks.. Last 4 minutes were worth of a boner.

Very well done.

I quit music and start a hamster farm.
Thanks for the suggestion and compliment! And good luck with your new hamster farm :hihi: (Just kidding, keep the music rolling!)

Erisian wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:58 am Woah - the intensity of sound in that is amazing. I hope you do a lot more psytrance because you are clearly good at it. That was awesome from start to finish.
wagtunes wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:41 pm Sounds great. Not much more to say really. Excellent job! :tu:

PS - If Recursive likes it, it's gotta be good.
Thanks, guys! :tu:

sjm wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:19 pm Overall, I like it. The thing that I would question is whether you might have made the track a bit too busy. There's an awful lot going on much of the time. The knock-on effect this brings is that you don't have much space in the track - that space is normally filled up with reverb etc. rather than additional instrumentation, and is what gives psy et al that trip-like nature.

By restricting the space through the busy arrangement, I feel you might have lost a little bit of that "mind-opening" experience that I find key to the genre. Sometimes less is more.

I still enjoyed the track, don't get me wrong. But maybe there is something to think about here?
Thanks for the useful suggestion! I actually did also find some parts are kind of busy myself, but then decided to just go with it. But that is a good point to take into consideration for my next track.
Trance, Trance Is Life

Excellent job all round.
The lead and lead arp could have been mixed a little louder at some points, but ... I wish I could do Trance this good.

Bansaw wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:50 pm Excellent job all round.
The lead and lead arp could have been mixed a little louder at some points, but ... I wish I could do Trance this good.
Thanks for the compliment and feedback! :tu:
I believe everyone can make trance as good or better than mine. Just keep producing! :hug:
Trance, Trance Is Life

Great job, got the style down pat! Plenty of energy and nice washes of sound...
Don't worry about not doing sound design, use what works. If a patch is already good then why change it.
Well done! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Return to “Music Cafe”