I ripped off New Order and The Cure. I regret nothing.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Erisian wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:38 pm
AnX wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:12 am actuall, Blue Monday is a collection of bits of other songs

"Blue Monday was influenced by several songs. Hook said the song was "stolen" from the Donna Summer song "Our Love" from the Bad Girls album.[16] Bernard Sumner said part of the arrangement came from "Dirty Talk", by Klein + M.B.O, the synthesised bassline from Sylvester's "You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)". Hook's bassline was derived from an Ennio Morricone soundtrack,[16] For a Few Dollars More: Hook said "I stole it" after watching the film of the same name in the studio.[17] In the Guardian, Clinton Heylin alleged that the song was derived from "Gerry and the Holograms", the 1979 title track by the novelty group of the same name,[16] but Sumner denied this"

https://youtu.be/j1EgDUTt2iM

it also has the choir sound sampled from Kraftwerk
Are you sure they are not changing their story to give the press whatever they want to hear at the time? Happens a lot in the music industry.

listen to the tracks cited, it's pretty obvious

AnX wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:42 pm
Erisian wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:38 pm
AnX wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:12 am actuall, Blue Monday is a collection of bits of other songs

"Blue Monday was influenced by several songs. Hook said the song was "stolen" from the Donna Summer song "Our Love" from the Bad Girls album.[16] Bernard Sumner said part of the arrangement came from "Dirty Talk", by Klein + M.B.O, the synthesised bassline from Sylvester's "You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)". Hook's bassline was derived from an Ennio Morricone soundtrack,[16] For a Few Dollars More: Hook said "I stole it" after watching the film of the same name in the studio.[17] In the Guardian, Clinton Heylin alleged that the song was derived from "Gerry and the Holograms", the 1979 title track by the novelty group of the same name,[16] but Sumner denied this"

https://youtu.be/j1EgDUTt2iM

it also has the choir sound sampled from Kraftwerk
Are you sure they are not changing their story to give the press whatever they want to hear at the time? Happens a lot in the music industry.

listen to the tracks cited, it's pretty obvious
I've made music that by coincidence sounds like stuff that has already been written. That is a lot of different music for one single track to be inspired by, plus the disagreement on one issue. I'm willing to concede that maybe one of those tracks was a main influence with perhaps another being a lesser influence but the rest of it sounds typical of bands that grew out of the 70s and 80s anti-establishment era pulling the press's plonker.

Well, I heard the tracks, seen several interviews and they were in NY in 81/82 with Arthur Baker getting into the late disco scene, so have no reason to doubt it. Not sure why a band would make up a story about "ripping off" bits of other songs, denial would be the normal procedure

Not my genre at all but I liked what I heard, nice melodies, good clean mix. Definitely sounds like 80s to me.

I also think it would be generally better if people discussed tracks posted by the OPs rather than some unrelated stuff in MC threads.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

The bassline was New Order - ish, but the soaked lead and the bells I don't think were.
What makes the sound is really the distinctive vocals imho.
2:06 nice stutter idea but could have been executed better.
2:25 nice breakdown. Liked it more from 3:13 onwards.

Return to “Music Cafe”