vurt - moments becoming monuments (sample mangling)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:19 pm You know what man? I love the stuff you do so much, I'm going to put on my project to-do list "VURT - Virtual Universal Resynthesis Transmutation"

It's going to be a totally experimental album where I will try to sound like you and at the same time try to be somewhat catchy by throwing in short melodic motifs here and there.

I have no idea when I'm going to get around to it (to-do list is 10 projects long already) but I will eventually.

Stay tuned.
well im honoured 8)
to inspire creativity in others is great, i look forward to it :tu:

I guess it all depends on whether Samplitude will allow you to import/export a wav file with markers included in the meta-data. Reaper will and Logic will. I think most focused audio editors will too (Wavelab, Audition, etc). I found the process very simple in Reaper, so I just use that.
Last edited by justin3am on Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ill have a look if i can import a spliced piece in to something i guess, before downloading reaper, which ive never tried... :lol:

It's definitely worth it to figure out. I like on the fly sampling, and the fact that the config file for the Morphagene allows you to set it, so that samples are always recorded from the inputs (on the Phonogene, the wet/dry control also determined whether the input or output was being recorded) makes on the fly sampling, while monitoring the output, very easy.
But it's nice to be able to load a well edited sample into the Morphagene. Splices really add another level to what you can do with it. I love using a channel of ReneV2 or an output from the Wogglebug to select Splices.
I think you can also have Morphogene record into a new Splice, after you have finished recording the previous one. I haven't played with that much, so I can't remember the process but it should be in the guide.

yeah ive enjoyed slicing up speech then using a sequencer to jumble the order.
ive realised, not much chance of building interesting reels at the min, lost all my samples with my dead pc :lol:
will need to rebuild a little before it's worthwhile.
will experiment for now with yours :tu:

i know a few people have put reels out too, often mentioned in videos.
might be worth grabbing a few.

should also grab the grandpa packs from muffs again while im thinking about it!

Cool! Intro is like searching for a radio station.
Interesting soundscape when the station was found.
Still some interference on the radio waves.
Finally the broadcast was gone with the space wind.

So, did the aliens answer back yet, vurt?
Great stuff! It needs a new word, mangled isn’t deep enough.

DMG68 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:24 pm It needs a new word, mangled isn’t deep enough.
It wasn't mangled, but created per vurt's method. So it was pervurted.

Oh man, I want Morphagene so badly now. At times I thought I was listening to a very disturbed RadioMusic module.

"Great lyrics, loved the beat. I give it a solid 10, Dick."

Really cool sound work throughout. As usual. :)

Best regards,

dp

markkuja wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:36 pm Cool! Intro is like searching for a radio station.
Interesting soundscape when the station was found.
Still some interference on the radio waves.
Finally the broadcast was gone with the space wind.
8) nice description!
thanks for listening, much appreciated :tu:

DMG68 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:24 pm So, did the aliens answer back yet, vurt?
Great stuff! It needs a new word, mangled isn’t deep enough.
:hihi: yup, they will be collecting me in a few weeks, save me from this rock! :lol:

pulverised? juiced?

thanks for listening :tu:

sjm wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:00 pm
DMG68 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:24 pm It needs a new word, mangled isn’t deep enough.
It wasn't mangled, but created per vurt's method. So it was pervurted.
ok, pervurted is good :D

StudioDave wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:01 pm Oh man, I want Morphagene so badly now. At times I thought I was listening to a very disturbed RadioMusic module.

"Great lyrics, loved the beat. I give it a solid 10, Dick."

Really cool sound work throughout. As usual. :)

Best regards,

dp
cheers dave, always glad to have you along!
not sure there is a morphagene or what is even similar for vcv.
i can't imagine someone wouldn't at least try :hihi:

thanks for listening!

vurt wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:29 pm
is it only reaper or can i use something else? ie will samplitudes markers do the same? or are reapers special? :lol:
It saves them, but .
Magix Samplitude Pro - X Owners Manual 10 En.png
I've always used Soundforge for this, though of late I am recommending this (below) for a variety of reasons. Free, cross platform, lots a cool processing stuff, nice FX loading w/waveform view, and it loads large (1-2GB+) files that crash Soundforge. (YMMV)

https://www.ocenaudio.com/download

Open app. Go to File - 'Open', select a folder and highlight a number of files which will all load on separate 'pages'. Use the arrows under the X in the upper-right of the interface to navigate to each page, then set a 'marker' (CTRL+K) at the beginning of each file, and copy/paste each successively into the first. Rename/Re-number each marker by left clicking on or near the yellow badge thingy, and giving it one. Save that file.. tada. Looks like this:
marker-test.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

ah, thanks!
i do also have soundforge (not loaded at the minute).
im not sure a 1gig file limit will be an issue, the max length is 4 mins i think, thereabouts.
but at least there's non reaper options.
nothing wrong with it, just seems overkill for one function, that i probably have elsewhere if i wasn't too lazy to look :oops:

thanks for the pointers 8)

Return to “Music Cafe”