VAZ Modular Demo Crashing Cubase 5 Studio

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Thinking about getting Simon Cann's Synthesizer Wizard book. VAZ Modular is one of the synths he uses in the book. I downloaded the demo (crappy website, no? - How much is this thing in US Dollars?).

When inserting VAZ as an instrument in Cubase 5 Studio, the VAZ interface won't come up and Cubase freezes. Works fine as a DXi in Sonar 7, as a VSTi in Presonus Studio One demo, and standalone.

Anyone else having issues getting it to work with Cubase 5? And again, how much is it in US Dollars?

Thanks!

Hi JPark,

What OS are you running on? Is it Vista or 7?

Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for responding. I am running XP. Is that the problem? Certainly I am running a not-state-of-the-art machine. It's a 4 year old mid-line off-the-shelf HP unit with an Athlon 3500+, 2 gigs of RAM and a 500GB HD. I also run office and all manner of other apps on it. It's not a dedicated music PC. I believe I am running XP w/ SP3.

I just tried uninstalling it and re-installing just the VSTi version. Same results.

Here is the behavior: I start a Cubase project, load VAZ as an instrument track. Go to click the VAZ panel interface button and it freezes Cubase. I have to Ctrl+Alt+Delete to get out of it. Then if I restart Cubase, I can insert VAZ as an instrument track and open the VAZ panel interface. Meanwhile there is a "ghostly" artifact lurking on my screen. And the menu fold-outs also look "ghostly".

Could it be that I just have an underpowered machine which can't handle Cubase 5 Studio and VAZ? Or do I have the wrong OS? Or might it be something else?

Thanks so much!

I am having that same problem in Cubase 5.
winxp sp3..
Vaz 3.20 beta 5
updated to beta 12 - still the same problem

Good to know I'm not alone. Since I want to pursue the Simon Cann "Synthesizer Wizard" book, I decided to switch temporarily to Ableton Live, which I own the "Intro" version, where VAZ works great. Also note - in typical Cubase style, the VAZ workspace window which does finally open in Cubase (once you've Ctrl+Alt+Deleted and then re-started Cubase - that's when the menus act "ghosty"), DOES NOT RESIZE. This is behavior I've noticed from a number of synth interfaces in Cubase, however with VAZ you really need to size the workspace in order to add more modules. Can't do it in Cubase. Cubase is a great program and will continue to get better, but they need to get their window handling together. In the meantime, I hope Martin and the VAZ team (unless it's only him), will figure out the Cubase 5 issue. Thanks for replying!

One last thing - Does anyone know how much the full version of VAZ Modular costs in terms of U.S. Dollars, and where to get it at the best price if multiple sources are available? Thanks again!

JPark83 wrote: One last thing - Does anyone know how much the full version of VAZ Modular costs in terms of U.S. Dollars, and where to get it at the best price if multiple sources are available? Thanks again!
199.95 GBP converts to $300.32

Ouch. I was hoping at a minimum it would be the same amount in dollars. Some companies do that with Euros, but I realize that GBP to USD doesn't convert so evenly. I don't know. I'll have to wait and see how the book works. Hopefully you can learn the material with only one or two of the synths, not all. Not to say that VAZ Modular isn't a great synth - many people in the know are praising it. But $300 USD is quite a lot of dough IMO. The average soft-synth - high-end - is around $200 USD, and many are less than that.
The synths Simon Cann refers to in "Become a Synthesizer Wizard" are Zebra2, VAZ Modular, KarmaFX, and SynthEdit. VAZ, at that price, is by far the priciest. Oh well, will wait to see how it looks when I have the book in hand.

I have the same problem in Cubase5, it happens with ALL VAZ versions,
VAZ Modular, VAZ Plus and VAZ 2010

It's posted elsewhere, but the workaround for Modular and 2010 is to switch the editor embed mode to never. Load the plugin in the standalone version or any other host where it works.

Martin

Return to “VAZ Synths”