MLM and Project SAM

Archived support for: hollowsun.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Best wishes
OVS

Fantastic stuff! :)!

They do seem to blend well in your piece - very dark and mysterious.

Cheers,

Stephen

hollowsun wrote:Fantastic stuff! :)!

They do seem to blend well in your piece - very dark and mysterious.

Cheers,

Stephen
Thanks Steve! It is first steps of an atmospheric sound design concept for my first film score project I am working on. Yes, I feel they are made for each other.

Can I ask you something different, I know it is not directly MLM related, but I am sure your knowledge of Kontakt to be much greater than my own.

Using the Convolution Reverb inside Kontakt, here Version 4.23, I seem to know that using it on an insert is more a resource hog than on a send, makes sense to me, but, when I place a Convolution reverb on an AUX in a multi stereo channel configuration, boy, my CPU is maxed in no time. On my 8 core Xeon, of course only one core is used, and it is in the red super quick. You can try that yourself if you load the Bricasti Large Hall D for example. - A stunner of a Hall -

Is there a better strategy within Kontakt?

Otherwise, I am afraid I can not use the Kontakt internal convolution, it is too demanding, and I would need to use external instead.

Best
Georg

It sounds weird to me that an 8-core Xeon would max out the CPU just by using one convolution effect... Can you try it in standalone, please?

Trying your mentioned IR in standalone mode, I get 3-5% of CPU usage on my i5 2.67 GHz laptop! And yes I've loaded it as an aux in the Output section... So, something's fishy here.

BTW, you can reduce the samplerate of the impulses if you go in and edit the NKI. You might lose a bit of top end, but MLMs are supposed to sound grungy! ;)

And a very cool track, there!
Last edited by EvilDragon on Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oceanviewstudio wrote:It is first steps of an atmospheric sound design concept for my first film score project I am working on. Yes, I feel they are made for each other.
It's excellently atmospheric - just the kind of stuff we favour here at HS Towers.
Oceanviewstudio wrote:I am sure your knowledge of Kontakt to be much greater than my own.
Don't count on it! ;)
Oceanviewstudio wrote:Using the Convolution Reverb inside Kontakt, here Version 4.23, I seem to know that using it on an insert is more a resource hog than on a send, makes sense to me, but, when I place a Convolution reverb on an AUX in a multi stereo channel configuration, boy, my CPU is maxed in no time. On my 8 core Xeon, of course only one core is used, and it is in the red super quick. You can try that yourself if you load the Bricasti Large Hall D for example. - A stunner of a Hall -

Is there a better strategy within Kontakt?

Otherwise, I am afraid I can not use the Kontakt internal convolution, it is too demanding, and I would need to use external instead.
Lordy! :o

I get a few comments every now and then, saying that some people have found it to be a bit CPU heavy (TechTron is a bit of a hog) but to the point of not being able to use it at all???! I've never had such a report!

I currently have all MLMs open and running and the CPU meter in Kontakt (4.2.4) is barely 1/4 of the way up. This is on a 2 x 3GHz Dual Core Xeon Mac/8Gb RAM that's a few years old. Even a bog standard Mac Mini I used to have would handle them ok.

I don't know if the reverb is significantly less on a send rather than an insert. It might be marginally more efficient perhaps. Maybe my resident scriptmeister will chip in on that - he knows the ins and outs and warts and idioscyncracies on Kontakt far better than I!

But I'm sorry you seem to be having these issues. I hope we can resolve them for you.

Cheers,

Stephen

hollowsun wrote:Maybe my resident scriptmeister will chip in on that
Oh! I see he already has!

Hey,

Thanks for the suggestion, yeah, will try standalone this evening and get back here. True, I used it from within Logic, where I had nothing but 2 Kontakt Instances (each with 8 stereo tracks) open, Kontakt Player 5, and Full Version 4.

As for the MLM's it was only a handful of Cognosphere and Shangrila, I'll let you know the exact figure later If I remember right, the way I figured that it was the Internal Convolution Reverb that maxes out the single core, was by switching it off, which reduced the demand around 40% straight away.
I currently have all MLMs open and running and the CPU meter in Kontakt (4.2.4) is barely 1/4 of the way up. This is on a 2 x 3GHz Dual Core Xeon Mac/8Gb RAM that's a few years old.
Wowser.... My MacPro is also a few years old, 8core, 2.93Ghz, 32 gig Ram (ahem) and usually not a slouch. Hmmm, I was watching Logics Meter of course, not Kontakt, but when hitting the red, the nasty shite starts. I have multicore off in Kontakt of course and buffers are at 256 in Logic, should be more than sufficient.

Thanks Folks, looks like the MLM will find their way into my score project, no doubts! I let you know when it is finished. It is a astonishing set of tools by any standards! Love it!
Best wishes
OVS

Oceanviewstudio wrote:My MacPro is also a few years old, 8core, 2.93Ghz, 32 gig Ram (ahem) and usually not a slouch. Hmmm, I was watching Logics Meter of course, not Kontakt
I'll fire 'em up in Logic later - see what happens (I was in standalone).
Oceanviewstudio wrote:Thanks Folks, looks like the MLM will find their way into my score project, no doubts! I let you know when it is finished. It is a astonishing set of tools by any standards! Love it!
Thanks. I'd like to think they add something that's a little different to what's out there. Do keep us posted on progress of your tracks.

Cheers,

Stephen

Yes, the problem with Logic is that it does not really give a single Kontakt instance to use all available cores (even if you DO have multicore processing enabled in Kontakt's options!), but just one instead. There isn't much you can do about that, if anything. It's just how Logic is.

EvilDragon wrote:Yes, the problem with Logic is that it does not really give a single Kontakt instance to use all available cores (even if you DO have multicore processing enabled in Kontakt's options!), but just one instead. There isn't much you can do about that, if anything. It's just how Logic is.
Good evening,

Understood! However as for the Reverb, and fwiw - Now that I made them. :o - here come 4 pics, is a comparison in context:

Playing three keys (btw. Aether is bypassed) 2x Cogny's 1x ShangriLa

In Logic all thre MLM's with Reverb ON, note the single core is maxed out already:

All three Reverbs off

Kontakt CPU Meter in Logic all three Reverbs ON

Kontakt CPU Standalone All Reverb off

Ahem.... I just figure, I should have made two more, but what the Hell. :lol: .... OPS, sorry, I did not know the pictures will be THAT small here, I resized then already 1200 wide. As I said, in Logic with Reverb off, round about 40% less CPU. Looks like the reverb is very taxing in deed.
Last edited by Oceanviewstudio on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes
OVS

Just thinking out loud.... if I were to switch off all three reverbs in that particular setup, but setup an AUX reverb instead and route into that, this should reduce the load around 2/3, right?

Problem is, I looked in my Hollow Sun folder, but the IR's you used seem not to be accessable for me. So how would I use the same IR and reverb settings on the AUX if possible?
Best wishes
OVS

You cannot use the IRs we packed in NKR, unfortunately. This was done for better portability and somewhat easier scripting, as of Kontakt 4.2.

It's purely at Steve's discretion if he'll supply you the Hollow Sun IRs as WAVs so you can load them anywhere in Kontakt. However, then everybody will want them! :D

I still think it's really weird that it maxes out Logic that hard. Can I make a nasty suggestion? Could you try downloading a demo of Reaper and try it in there? :) Reaper does better resource management than 99% of DAWs out there. If that makes a difference for you, we will then know that the culprit is likely Logic!

EvilDragon wrote:You cannot use the IRs we packed in NKR, unfortunately. This was done for better portability and somewhat easier scripting, as of Kontakt 4.2.

It's purely at Steve's discretion if he'll supply you the Hollow Sun IRs as WAVs so you can load them anywhere in Kontakt. However, then everybody will want them! :D
Naw, I don't need an extra sausage.
I still think it's really weird that it maxes out Logic that hard. Can I make a nasty suggestion? Could you try downloading a demo of Reaper and try it in there? :) Reaper does better resource management than 99% of DAWs out there. If that makes a difference for you, we will then know that the culprit is likely Logic!
You are right about Logic and multicores. I just tried another thing, and loaded the same setup from within VEPro in Logic. ....Works better.

Congrats on that drum thingy.... I would bet this will become very popular!
Best wishes
OVS

did you do the music with Hollow sun sample librarys? !!!

great what are those which sound so nice?

Oceanviewstudio wrote:They are made for each other.

http://soundcloud.com/oceanviewstudio/c ... mage-sd1-1
......Groovy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsU1t2vkURg

Return to “Hollow Sun”