Latest release/build/beta

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I reiterate, and I'll throw in a free license or free upgrade (if you've already got a license) to anyone who can help me with that! Thanks :)
A_SN wrote:Anyway I need some help: I want to do an EQing video tutorial, but I have no idea what sample to use and what to do on it! So if anyone has a sample and wants something to be done on it, fire away! Bonus points if it's something somewhat tricky that one couldn't do without a spectrum analyser and a pretty flexible EQ, I'm trying to show that it can do a lot.

Actually what I have in mind is showing not just how to apply an EQ regardless of the sound it applies to, I also want to show how to directly edit the spectrum (seen as a curve, not as a spectrogram) by directly shaving bits off the curve by hand and what not (a bit like the way I edited the harmonics in the previous video).
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

Hi,
Just send you a PM.
Cheers,
Scott

Good news everyone! I've just completed the function to load MP3s on Mac. And unlike on the Windows version it doesn't require you to add anything to the program (since it uses Mac OS's MP3 decoding capabilities). I've also added and fixed and optimsed a bunch of things, most notably you can now save entire projects to a file as opposed to just a flat image or sound (even in the demo version).

I'll release it (v1.8.2) soon, tomorrow I guess.

Version 1.8.2 just released.

-Mac version not in beta anymore, it can load MP3s without anything to add to it.
-You can save a whole session to file
-I've optimised a bunch of things mostly related to processing layers
-I added a new effect so that you can group everything to the nearest semitone (handy if you want to draw pitch-perfect lines)
-Added an option so that you can set the convolution centre of a layer, so that you can move it without actually moving anything
-Fixed a bunch of things, most notable a bug in which sometimes you'd get silent blocks of sound

http://photosounder.com/download.php

Here's the latest build of 1.8.3, and here's a video of the latest thing it allows you to do :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPngRgFZISI

It's just a demonstration of the work in progress that is live synthesis, and isn't well blended-in with the workflow of the program, so you can't press the Play button or use the Lossless mode.

Also work in progress, when you do something in this version of the program it saves it as commands in a file named history.pha, and if you open that file (you might wanna change its name first) it'll reproduce what you did (except for a few commands that I haven't implemented yet).

Here's the build : http://photosounder.com/misc/photosound ... 20_win.zip

Also I'd love to hear how much CPU it takes while the mouse cursor is hovering over a sound, and what CPU you have.

Mac version coming soon?
Cheers,
Scott

rexlapin wrote:Mac version coming soon?
Cheers,
Scott
Well, usually I don't bother to make Mac builds when it's just a beta.

OK, looking forward to it's final release
then. :D
Cheers,
Scott

A_SN wrote:
rexlapin wrote:Mac version coming soon?
Cheers,
Scott
Well, usually I don't bother to make Mac builds when it's just a beta.
Looking forward to the Mac release too! Thanks A_SN

Can I ask a beginners question here please, it's not related to the timestretch feature.

If you skip to 0:35 secs, you can see that there is 1 yellow line going along at 100Hz and another going along at 150Hz. To me, those 2 lines look like they are part of the same sound... so to isolate those 2 lines I would start at the yellow line at 100Hz, click and hold the mouse button and drag to the right until I come to the edge of the 1st 100Hz line... now here's my question:

Do I let go of the mouse button and then click again to start taking the line above it at 150Hz, or do I continuesly hold the mouse button coming off the 100Hz yellow line and move upwards (still holding the mouse button) onto the 150Hz line and then continue as normal, in order to get the best possible quality in playback when I switch to the Mask Invert mode?

Thank you.

I've just installed 1.8.3 beta, and the new feature to hear the audio by hovering in the time frame is fantastic! I will use this feature a lot.
My PC is 3GHZ Pentium 4, and there were no delay issues at all

It seems to play the total audio (ie all frequencies) as you move . Is it planned (or even feasible) to make this more selective so that you can preview certain frequencies or selections?
This would be extremely useful for isolating vocals - so that you could be sure that the waveform you want to isolate is correct.

A_SN wrote:Here's the latest build of 1.8.3, and here's a video of the latest thing it allows you to do :

It's just a demonstration of the work in progress that is live synthesis, and isn't well blended-in with the workflow of the program, so you can't press the Play button or use the Lossless mode.

Also work in progress, when you do something in this version of the program it saves it as commands in a file named history.pha, and if you open that file (you might wanna change its name first) it'll reproduce what you did (except for a few commands that I haven't implemented yet).

Also I'd love to hear how much CPU it takes while the mouse cursor is hovering over a sound, and what CPU you have.

IanA wrote:I've just installed 1.8.3 beta, and the new feature to hear the audio by hovering in the time frame is fantastic! I will use this feature a lot.

It seems to play the total audio (ie all frequencies) as you move . Is it planned (or even feasible) to make this more selective so that you can preview certain frequencies or selections?
This would be extremely useful for isolating vocals - so that you could be sure that the waveform you want to isolate is correct.

A_SN wrote:Here's the latest build of 1.8.3, and here's a video of the latest thing it allows you to do :

Yeha, someone suggested that I make a sort of vertical window on the cursor so that it'd play only a given range of frequency. It'd be easy to do so yeah I'll do it.

Latest build here : http://photosounder.com/misc/photosound ... 21_win.zip

Here's what's new since the latest official release:

-Option to suspend processing
-Waits for synthesis to complete before saving sound to file
-Changed the windows compiler, more optimisations, larger address space
-4/4 rhythm overlay
-Semitone overlay
-Constant Time Resolution Analysis option
-All actions are saved to a history script file, script files can be used (almost entirely complete)

-Added a View menu
-Fixed crash in Group to Nearest Semitone
-Made Esc not quit but select the cursor instead
-Fixed some other minor bugs/crashes

Note that live synthesis is temporarily disabled in this one. I've also added a few scripts in the scripts folder, so you can see how they work and even make and test your own.

It would definitely help to have a definable window so that you could hear real time just within the selected area.

Would it also be possible to have the real time synthesis controlled via the 'spray width' and 'harmonics/magnet' modifiers?
This would allow you to hear the selection as defined by the spray width and harmonics/magnet modifiers, and even better - if this 'selection' could be 'seen' on the waveform display?

A_SN wrote:
IanA wrote:I've just installed 1.8.3 beta, and the new feature to hear the audio by hovering in the time frame is fantastic! I will use this feature a lot.

Yeha, someone suggested that I make a sort of vertical window on the cursor so that it'd play only a given range of frequency. It'd be easy to do so yeah I'll do it.

IanA wrote:It would definitely help to have a definable window so that you could hear real time just within the selected area.

Would it also be possible to have the real time synthesis controlled via the 'spray width' and 'harmonics/magnet' modifiers?
This would allow you to hear the selection as defined by the spray width and harmonics/magnet modifiers, and even better - if this 'selection' could be 'seen' on the waveform display?
Excellent idea. What do you mean with the waveform display thing though? It would show the waveform display for only the current ranges for everything? Well that might look nice, however one problem is you'd end up spending a lot of CPU power redrawing this thing over and over again.

Return to “Photosounder”