AMD's a-comin!!!... and Intel's been a-dunnin!!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Meanwhile the Ryzen 3 mini series has also been launched without much ado. Interestingly, the 1300X's single-core performance is better than the R7 1800X's.
It's quad-core performance is even slightly better than the Threadripper 1950X's.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AM ... 3932vs3930
It seems to be an excellent choice for games that only use 4 cores/threads anyway, which I think is still the standard.

There is also a PRO version now for many Ryzen processors, and it seems they are more powerful than the original non-PRO versions.

Pro versions are aimed at a corporate market, and are as powerful as normal versions, not more.

http://techreport.com/review/32175/ryze ... e-desktops
It's easy if you know how

So, has anyone here tried running W7 on the Ryzen platform? Does it work well, despite the lack of official support?

I have read that one way to make sure W7 installs in the first place is getting a motherboard that has PS/2 connectors for keyboard and mouse because USB is the main hurdle during installation.
Maybe MB makers know that, which would explain why this very recent board has two outdated PS/2 connectors:
http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty%2 ... /index.asp

If a board does not have PS/2 connectors anymore, one should at least use USB 2.0 connectors, not USB 3 ones as those often require drivers.

fluffy_little_something wrote:So, has anyone here tried running W7 on the Ryzen platform? Does it work well, despite the lack of official support?

I have read that one way to make sure W7 installs in the first place is getting a motherboard that has PS/2 connectors for keyboard and mouse because USB is the main hurdle during installation.
Maybe MB makers know that, which would explain why this very recent board has two outdated PS/2 connectors:
http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty%2 ... /index.asp

If a board does not have PS/2 connectors anymore, one should at least use USB 2.0 connectors, not USB 3 ones as those often require drivers.
Don't know about PS/2, but R5 works on W8.1 just fine, I even didn't need to reinstall Windows from my previous AM4 system.
There is also an unofficial patch that will allow you update your Win later.

Just read that W7 support will already end in January 2020, less than 2.5 years from now. Then I would have to switch to W10, anyway. So I might as well do it now. This way I will not have to reinstall Windows later on.

Was just checking the AMD chips, not sure yet whether to get the 1600X or the 1500X. The 1500X is about 50-60 euros cheaper. 13163 vs 10662 points on that popular benchmark site. Since the 1600X has 1.5x as many cores, it should have about 16000 points, but it doesn't. Seems the 1500X is clearly more powerful per core.

Read an interesting thing today, on one of Germany's biggest computer online shops Mindfactory (where I will also order my stuff), they are already selling more AMD than Intel processors now :) The 1600 and 1600X sell particularly well:
https://hothardware.com/news/amd-beats- ... indfactory
Since the absolute gains for AMD are clearly higher than the absolute losses for Intel, it seems that there are many AMD fans like me who have waited for the new AMD processors rather than buying Intel.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Just read that W7 support will already end in January 2020, less than 2.5 years from now. Then I would have to switch to W10, anyway. So I might as well do it now. This way I will not have to reinstall Windows later on.

Was just checking the AMD chips, not sure yet whether to get the 1600X or the 1500X. The 1500X is about 50-60 euros cheaper. 13163 vs 10662 points on that popular benchmark site. Since the 1600X has 1.5x as many cores, it should have about 16000 points, but it doesn't. Seems the 1500X is clearly more powerful per core.

Read an interesting thing today, on one of Germany's biggest computer online shops Mindfactory (where I will also order my stuff), they are already selling more AMD than Intel processors now :) The 1600 and 1600X sell particularly well:
https://hothardware.com/news/amd-beats- ... indfactory
Since the absolute gains for AMD are clearly higher than the absolute losses for Intel, it seems that there are many AMD fans like me who have waited for the new AMD processors rather than buying Intel.
Go for 1600, it's a better value than 1600X and comes with a cooler. I got it and put a Noctua NH-D15 I had previously, but the stock one will do just fine but not as fine as Noctua. I've undervolted the CPU core voltage to 1.2 V and upped the frequency to 3.7GHz and the CPU runs just fine. The CPU mark score is 13220, my memory is working at 2933 MHz.
Just be sure to buy a fast memory, 3000-3200 will be just fine, go for higher speed if you can afford it.

No, I won't change any default settings or overclock. I read that the default settings are the ones which ensure the longest life of the processor. My current 6-core processor's benchmark is about half that of the 4-core 1500X (and its power consumption twice :hihi: ), so both the 1500X and the 1600X should be enough for my needs. The single-thread benchmark is 1255 (Phenom 1100) vs 1828 (1600)/1880 (1500X)/1945 (1600X)/1953 (1300X).

Yes, I read about the importance of fast memory. Money is not the problem, but the lack of support of the maximum memory speed with many motherboards. It still seems to be a kind of lottery.

fluffy_little_something wrote:No, I won't change any default settings or overclock. I read that the default settings are the ones which ensure the longest life of the processor. My current 6-core processor's benchmark is about half that of the 4-core 1500X (and its power consumption twice :hihi: ), so both the 1500X and the 1600X should be enough for my needs. The single-thread benchmark is 1255 (Phenom 1100) vs 1828 (1600)/1880 (1500X)/1945 (1600X)/1953 (1300X).

Yes, I read about the importance of fast memory. Money is not the problem, but the lack of support of the maximum memory speed with many motherboards. It still seems to be a kind of lottery.
What will affect the longevity of your CPU are higher voltage and temperature. As I previously stated, I have undervolted the CPU (I think the default was at 1.25V) and my current idle temperature is around 10 degrees higher in relation to the ambient temp.

CPU-Z benchmark v1.80 - single thread = 429.4, multithread = 3437.5
Compare the result here: https://valid.x86.fr/bench/1

Of course, I don't recommend overclocking using a stock cooler.

1600 and 1600X are exactly the same chip, but the X one is better binned - can achieve higher clocks.
You will have to buy an aftermarket cooler for 1600X anyway, so why not buy a 1600 and clock it to 3.6 GHz which is the default 1600X frequency?

Regarding the 'lottery' you are talking about it is not the case anymore thanks to recent BIOS upgrades and AGESA 1.0.0.6 which greatly expanded compatibility with memory modules which couldn't be clocked higher earlier.

Sensible overclocking will not make a 1600 last less than a stock 1600X.

AMD's stock cooler is really good, most of the time you won't need an aftermaket one. For example, people on R7 1700 managed to get to 3.8Ghz oc with stock cooler, with good temps and not a lot of voltage. Everyone says it's a really good cooler, but if you want to go beyond 3.8 you'll need an aftermarket one.

Here is a benchmark for the Wraith Spire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzIIIoSveU0

We are used to getting bad coolers with the cpu because most of us used/use Intel systems and their stock cooler is garbage.

Impressive, I could hardly hear it at 100% :)

fluffy_little_something wrote:So, has anyone here tried running W7 on the Ryzen platform? Does it work well, despite the lack of official support?
Prior to launch, AMD had said they weren't supporting WIN 7, but that internally they had fully working WIN 7 chipset drivers.
Well, it looks like they've decided to release those drivers ... so it's pretty official now:

https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/ ... 0%20-%2064
Description:
Supports Windows 10/7 (32 & 64-bit)

Package Includes:
AMD Chipset Drivers
AMD Ryzen Balanced Power Plan
Support for AMD Ryzen Threadripper and AMD X399 Chipset

Check here for how-to add AMD USB 3 drivers to WIN 7 installation media:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624699/usin ... t_26201057

This stops Windows 7 Update from blocking support of the new AMD/INTEL cpus:

https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc
Disables the "Unsupported Hardware" message in Windows Update, and allows you to continue installing updates on Windows 7 and 8.1 systems with Intel Kaby Lake, AMD Ryzen, or other unsupported processors.

That should be everything you need to run Windows 7 nice & smooth on your new AMD.

=========================================================================================
=========================================================================================

I've been delaying a build for a new studio machine .... two key things are causing me to stall. Windows 7 support on new cpus, and hackintosh goals.
Since AMD released official chipset drivers, that wins the Windows 7 criteria hands down. But in terms of hackintosh, that's Intel territory (though there apparently exists a custom kernel for AMD, for the sake of smooth sailing it is best to stick with intel). The best hope for native OSX support of AMD cpus is the new Mac Pro (not expected till around Summer 2018 or later), since Apple engineers are apprently completely redesigning the architecture and one of the main goals, if not the main goal, is modularity, user upgradability and user expandability ... so who knows, if they don't adopt an AMD processor perhaps they will develop a native AMD kernel for future versions of OSX to accomodate Mac Pro users who may upgrade or customise their machines with AMD cpus. Most bloggers etc are still speculating that it will continue to be Intel.

I just hope Intel follow AMD's lead, and release official WIN 7 chipset drivers for Skylake-X and/or Skylake-SP ... and then my choice will be clear. I don't want to wait until Summer 2018 or later in the hopes of an AMD processor, or AMD compatability, in the new Mac Pro's. If I would abandon all notions of the machine being a hackintosh, I would definitely go with an AMD build for Windows 7 usage.

Interesting development, a day too late for me, ordered my W10 DVD today :P Well, in less than 2.5 years W7 support will end, anyway, so I would only have postponed the switch. Now I'll just take the plunge and hope for the best :hihi: I suppose W10 will not allow my 14 year old version of Winamp and I will have to look for a replacement :cry:

I'm not gonna be browsing the net, much less dodgy sites in the vein of 'XXXBabes' & 'AudioCrakzzz4ever' etc on my studio machine anyway, so even when Microsoft drop W7 support I'll keep running it in the studio until my A/V software forces an upgrade ... which should easily see me through many more years than 2.5

I just ordered Ryzen R7 1700, going red. Will be a nice upgrade from my Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz. I will come with more info as soon as parts arrive. Probably next week since they don't have Fractal Design R5 in stock. Also I'm going with 2x8GB DDR4 @ 3200Mhz Samsung chipset.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I suppose W10 will not allow my 14 year old version of Winamp and I will have to look for a replacement :cry:
I still use Winamp as a default player :hihi:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”