AMD's a-comin!!!... and Intel's been a-dunnin!!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Got my Ryzen processor today, looking good, especially the stock cooler :) The pins are all straight, the box was still sealed. The pre-applied thermal paste on the chip doesn't look too good, there is a fingerprint on it 8) Will that stuff melt with the heat from the CPU?

But I only got the CPU, motherboard and SSD today, while case, power supply etc. are still missing. So I won't install anything yet.

The Samsung SSD is so tiny, what a difference to my old bulky hard drive :) No screws in the package, though, I hope the case will include a few screws...

The mobo came with three tiny screws, each in a separate plastic bag :dog: I suppose it is all robots in those factories 8)

fluffy_little_something wrote:Got my Ryzen processor today, looking good, especially the stock cooler :) The pins are all straight, the box was still sealed. The pre-applied thermal paste on the chip doesn't look too good, there is a fingerprint on it 8) Will that stuff melt with the heat from the CPU?

But I only got the CPU, motherboard and SSD today, while case, power supply etc. are still missing. So I won't install anything yet.

The Samsung SSD is so tiny, what a difference to my old bulky hard drive :) No screws in the package, though, I hope the case will include a few screws...

The mobo came with three tiny screws, each in a separate plastic bag :dog: I suppose it is all robots in those factories 8)
Great! Which CPU and mobo did you get? The paste is fine, you will probably get a degree or two of better temp if you apply a better one.
It's easy if you know how

I bought the 1500X and the ASRock X370 Gaming X motherboard (although I will never play any game :hihi: ).

Too bad you didn't go for the 1600, but as you already said that you don't want any manual overclocking it's still a nice CPU.

Interesting, it says in the very small print that if I use a cooler other than the stock one, the warranty becomes null and void 8)

Hm, I wonder how I will clean that cooler, will I have to unscrew the fan from the metal thing each time? Or can one take the shroud off somehow?

My old cooler has 4 little plastic pins that snap in place. Very simple to take it apart.

The stock cooling unit itself is a vapor chamber heatsink by the way, made by Cooler Master.

Lesha wrote:Too bad you didn't go for the 1600, but as you already said that you don't want any manual overclocking it's still a nice CPU.
Well, with 6-core processors, 1 of the 4 cores of each 4-core module is switched off, which is not as beneficial regarding heat dissipation. Maybe that's why the 1500X's additional XFR clock is twice that of all other Ryzen chips (R5 and R7), namely 200 vs 100 MHz. It only has 2 active cores per 4-core module, so less heat. It can easily be overclocked, I suppose they ship the 95W cooler with this 65W chip for a reason. I read that it can run @ 4.2 GHz on all cores when overclocking, which of course I won't try.

By the way, did you mean the 1600 or the 1600X?

At normal clock speed, the 1500X is about twice as powerful as my old 6-core CPU, which was already enough for my music stuff (I have settled on Sylenth1 and ToneBoosters plugins, so no more CPU hogs like Lush, Diva and Klanghelm).

Congratz fluffy_little_something! Wish you'll use it for many years to come and not have any problems.

My R7 1700 and SSD still hasn't arrive because of the case, it's not on stock. I only have the motherboard and ram. Here are some pics: https://imgur.com/a/qApJb
I'm curious how silent will Fractal Design Define R5 be, it wasn't cheap. Motherboard is the same as Tomahawk, just the colors are different, wanted to go black and red since I decided to get this kit of ram, although I'll see the interior only when I'll clean it or add/remove stuff.

fluffy_little_something wrote:By the way, did you mean the 1600 or the 1600X?
I meant 1600, you can easily overclock and get the same speed as 1600X.

nIGhT-SoN wrote:Congratz fluffy_little_something! Wish you'll use it for many years to come and not have any problems.

My R7 1700 and SSD still hasn't arrive because of the case, it's not on stock. I only have the motherboard and ram. Here are some pics: https://imgur.com/a/qApJb
I'm curious how silent will Fractal Design Define R5 be, it wasn't cheap. Motherboard is the same as Tomahawk, just the colors are different, wanted to go black and red since I decided to get this kit of ram, although I'll see the interior only when I'll clean it or add/remove stuff.
Yeah, I hope so, too :hihi:
Actually, I am a bit scared of the day I have all components and have to build that thing, you know, of finding out components don't work, DOA etc.

The case looks good. It is also one of those that have the power supply at the bottom. I did not want that.
I wonder why they always make cases black, when they know heat is an issue for computers. I have to put my computer next to my window, and I suppose it would be way cooler if the case were white.

Yes, there seems to be a lot of emphasis on design these days, as if people were more into how their computers look rather than how it works :roll:
My motherboard does look nice, especially the red aluminum heat dissipation thingies. But like you I will never see it again, hopefully :hihi: I certainly won't connect/turn on that whole light show LED stuff.

I also got 3200 RAM modules, they will help a lot, if they work with the motherboard as planned :roll:

For ram compatibility you can check on the motherboard website, see if your kit is on the list. I picked on from the list to be sure it's supported by my motherboard, so it should run at 3200Mhz according to MSI.

Well, I bought the 8GB version of a 16GB RAM set mentioned on the compatibility list. The 8GB set as such is not listed, but it is exactly the same, just half the capacity.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Well, I bought the 8GB version of a 16GB RAM set mentioned on the compatibility list. The 8GB set as such is not listed, but it is exactly the same, just half the capacity.
I would not assume these were the same electrically - to be certified compatible you really want the specific size and model that was tested. Too late to swap?

egbert wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Well, I bought the 8GB version of a 16GB RAM set mentioned on the compatibility list. The 8GB set as such is not listed, but it is exactly the same, just half the capacity.
I would not assume these were the same electrically - to be certified compatible you really want the specific size and model that was tested. Too late to swap?
Hm, I hope you are wrong :hihi:
Instead of
HX432C16PB3K2/16
I bought
HX432C16PB3K2/8

Many non QVL memories work now after some Agesa updates, so it shouldn't be a problem.

DJ Warmonger wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I suppose W10 will not allow my 14 year old version of Winamp and I will have to look for a replacement :cry:
I still use Winamp as a default player :hihi:
I ended up using Foobar after Winamp became more trouble than it's worth, and today I wouldn't go back. Give it a look! The entire interface is modular so you can set it up however you like - from a full on media centre down to barebones. I go for an old school, minimal interface that's kind of like Winamp's. Just a big window showing the current playlist, with the play and seek controls at the top. Couldn't resist adding the spectrogram view along the bottom though! It looks like this - bear in mind that you can set the playlist columns to scale with the window size, which I do:

It has loads of little convenient things in there too. 'Right click -> convert' is a godsend for me, particularly when going back and forward from flac to wav. Best of all it's just as lightweight as Winamp was! Possibly more so? Typical memory usage is around the 6-7 MB range.
Last edited by cron on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”