Running commercial audio software on linux

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Massive X 1.3, and Raum reverb in Ubuntu Studio 20.04,
with wine 5.0 Stable and windows Reaper 5.9x
with wineasio. Newer wine-staging releases failed
to run the gui's of these great plugins, so I repurposed
an old burner partition :love: just because :love:

Raum is so nice, a bum could fall asleep playing
his electric guitar through it.

Don't ask :dog:
Don't wonder...
Massive_X-Raum-reverb.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

There is always a lot of dancing on the eggshells here,
But in the new Ubuntu 20.04 setup, Kontakt and Reaktor
are also in working order, despite some grumbling from
Native Access, the best software known that is burdened with
multiple Multiple Personality Disorders. :dog:

Fear not, oh spindly wallet, The free and low-cost extras
for Reaktor and Kontakt are a parallel universe
that will suck you in, and impale you on soundwaves.
The free Player versions are part of the free Komplete demo,

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... ete-start/

so lots of the learning curve can be assaulted before
slapping the plastic. Knowledge makes a buyer
happy 8)
Kontakt-Reaktor-Ubuntu 20.04.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

With U-he native linux builds, it's all dancing, and no eggshells :party:
For Ubuntu 20.04, I hust copied the .vst, .u-he, and
.config/REAPER folders from
the 19.10 partition, and launched linux reaper.
The sounds from those synths are wonderful,
with lots of videos to dig in, if you enjoy making new sounds
Repro-ZHZ-Ubuntu20.04.png

Nice! I've got Diva. I'd like to pick up a couple more of their synths. :-)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Diva is soul and ear candy, and even better if your cpu
can survive divine mode :scared: :hyper: :hihi:
I bought Hive instead of Diva, and my cpu hasn't ignited
the heatsink glue :hihi:

If you get discoDSP Bliss, you can sample Diva presets
you make, that have escaped the real world :party:
Cheers

In that other linux topic, I semi-review AVLinux latest release,
quite impressive. I added to it's wine 4.7 these .dll files:

32 bit mfc42.dll and mfc42u.dll in windows/syswow64
64 bit mfc42.dll and mfc42u.dll and mfc140.dll in windows/system32

and added the 64 bit ones to
the over-rides list in winecfg libraries panel,

and then installed Native Access, which updated itself,
and then I installed Native Instruments Raum reverb,
and Phasis phaser, for guitar effect goodness :love:

Note: I had to manually create the Downloads folder
in .wine/drive_C/users/me ...Native Access aborted insallation
as it would not follow the link created by wine to:

/home/me/Downloads

(also, Native Access has always needed a restart after
installing things in linux, to komplete the registration process,
so if it throws up an error at the end of an install,
just restart it, and it kompletes the task)
AVLinux-Native-Access.png
AVLinux-Raum-Phasis.png
(the above AVLinux screenshots have my own wallpaper,
and a different icon set than the AXLinux defaults)
Time to fire up netflix, and bendz me some stingz :wink:

Since I've traveled upon many eggs lately,
updating way too many things to sleep peacefully,
I thought I'd revisit Cakewalk By Bandlab...the screenshot shows Native Instruments Reaktor with one of Bosomacs great ensembles, and the Raum Reverb, one of NI's best Christmas give-aways.
Cakewalk-Bosomac-Raum.png
So it's in working order, (although slow to open,
perhaps because of backgroud vst scanning)
with Ubuntu Studio 1910, and wine 5.10, set as win10, with some .dll over-rides:
api-ms-win-crt-multibyte
d2d1
d3dx9_41
gdiplus
mfc140
mfc42
mfc42u
mfc90
msvcm80
propsys
sxs
ucrtbase
(Those were added in older wine setups to get
IK Multimedia products working, and tagged along, and may not be needed anymore due to wine improvements.
I'm not a cakewalk daw user, but love z3ta, Rapture,
and Dimension Pro, especially z3ta 1.5 effect plugin as a guitar multifx plugin. The daw and assistant are getting regular updates, so Bandlab are for real 8)
Happy Friday! :hyper:

glokraw wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:00 am Diva is soul and ear candy, and even better if your cpu
can survive divine mode :scared: :hyper: :hihi:
I bought Hive instead of Diva, and my cpu hasn't ignited
the heatsink glue :hihi:

If you get discoDSP Bliss, you can sample Diva presets
you make, that have escaped the real world :party:
Cheers
Funny you should mention Bliss! I happen to have that one too! :D
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

IK Multimedia are gifting their Ampltube Metal collection for a while,
see the included gear page at the link:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/m ... php?p=gear

It's not made with their latest Satriani era modeling tech, but includes a great variety of 47 stomps, racks, amps, cabs and mics, a very nice addition to their free Amplitube Custom Shop version. The Amplitube preset listings will specify by products, so choosing presets from other products will announce that 'some gear is missing, so sound will vary', or some such. Metal with the free
Valhalla Massive plugin:

Metal-Valhalla.png

I just did a full install of all my Amplitube gear, in Ubuntu Studio 19.10, used linvst as plugin wrapper, played in linux Reaper, and IK's registration app and product worked fine, presenting a gui to paste in serial numbers, and then the gear.

Registration-app.png

What happens when installing Metal and other products, is a full gigabyte installation of presumably all the Amlitube products, so that each one can be tested when you have their Custom Shop app online, for the given demo time period, which I think is 72 hours, twice per year, per item.

Free Amplitube Custom Shop page:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitubecs/

IK accounts have a user area, that stores your serials and product download links, very handy if you have a few linux systems on hand.
Cheers

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=549042

(my happy experience with IK's new Amplitube MAX sale)
Cheers

With 300 or so gear models in Amplitube 4 MAX, it is the weekend for seeking jewels. My favorite so far, is the Carvin V3M amp, which includes a very nice reverb, along with a full set of controls for each channel. And it's output sounds great in Rakarrack multi-effect app. Testing too much...already damaged a fingertip :dog:

Carvin-Rak-Timemachine.png

Someone made a video demo back in 2012,
how time flies :scared:
Starts clean, moves towards not so clean as it goes :wink:
And done without the nice reverb...oh well, it's an amp review, not an effect review...

https://youtu.be/NFtt03Cgdpc

I used Tone2 NanoHost to make a standalone ValhallaSuperMassive.exe, and send a nice Orange Amp sound (Fulltone Tercs chorus before and after the amp, followed by Fulltone SSD delay, to the FinalFrontier, all connected with qjackctl, and recorded at 24bit with Jack Timemachine. :hyper:
(Reaper has the night off, after a long hard week :hihi: )

A4_Valhalla-exe.png

Whilehousecleaning and experimenting, I came across a lnk icon for Reaktor,
and for giggles, gave it a good clicking, lo and behold the standalone Reaktor
appeared, ready for action. So I loaded the PolyPlex drum machine, and used it's
rolling-dice randomizer to get some fun new pads in the first and last drum slots.
Reaper was already running, hosting Wusikstation 5 with ArtVera's Drumatoxin
soundset, and a very jaunty old 32 bit synth, full of patterned presets...and it was easy enough to trigger the new pads without destroying the other fun.
But I was distracted by my wife asking for help with the weekend's bar-b-Q sauce,
and forgot to connect Reaktor to the record process. (To her, making the sauce is an epic process akin to calulating a Moon Shot, but the end result is worth it :hyper: ) I returned to the keys and made a bundle of tracks, with PolyPlex doing it's thing unrecorded :dog:
I attached a small piece of the action, as a reminder that all was not lost. :wink:
Cheers

druma-phadra.png

The erstwhile PolyPlex, simple but great fun, and a top choice for making
things nobody heard last week! :hyper: Assuming it's connected :( :dog:
when you press the record button :roll:

PolyPlex-beating.png

https://www.tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs/

Tokyo Dawn Labs have been pretty popular, and have a range of pro plugins and collections. I tested their free products, as it's been a few years since I tried them...back then, there were some gui issues with wine, but wine seems to have fixed them now, and wrapped by LinVst, they worked in Linux Reaper, and I was very happy placing the multi-effects plugin z3ta+ 1.5 between TDL's Kotelnikov compressor, and the SlickEQ, both of which come with nice gui's (slickEQ will change colour to ID some settings) and have some welcome sensible presets. Quite enjoyable as a default for guitar, and likely for whatever else the neighbors cat drags in :scared:

TDL have some 'Gentleman' plugins, assuming the low price point is to invite 8) swashbuckling gentlemanly purchases 8) , rather than becoming a
:x lowlife scum-sucking software pirate :x

TokyoDawnLabs-z3ta+_guitar.png

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”