New Mac Mini

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

resynthesis wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:11 am I've been toying with the idea of Mac development for a while but I don't think I'll be going the Mini way. i7/16/512 comes in at £1600.
And what i7? This is to laugh about. The ripoff continues.

I can't even think how much will they want for a new Mac Pro, if they ever launch a new one again :roll:
Fernando (FMR)

Eyeing this Mac mini keenly. Isn’t it spec’d Faster than current iMac?

fmr wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:26 am
resynthesis wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:11 am I've been toying with the idea of Mac development for a while but I don't think I'll be going the Mini way. i7/16/512 comes in at £1600.

I can't even think how much will they want for a new Mac Pro, if they ever launch a new one again :roll:
I feel like I read the actual chip number somewhere but I can't find it now. The fastest is a hex core 8th generation i7 @3.2GHz with turbo boost up to 4.6GHz. Maybe someone knows exactly which model it is?

ghettosynth wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:06 pm

I feel like I read the actual chip number somewhere but I can't find it now. The fastest is a hex core 8th generation i7 @3.2GHz with turbo boost up to 4.6GHz. Maybe someone knows exactly which model it is?
i7 8700 mebbe?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:14 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:06 pm

i7 8700 mebbe?
I feel like I would have remembered that. I've recently been shopping for a replacement for my main machine and so I'm familiar with that. That said, I might just not have seen it anywhere and was conflating the memory with a memory of some other recent computer search. A lot of old articles about older mac minis were coming up.

Ok, now I'm basically reading that nobody knows yet. It's believed to be a full desktop part due to the speeds, but it's soldered in, I was probably reading something about an older mac mini.

The spec of the chip is a standard 8700.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

Kaine wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:44 pmIf it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqZboxi7v-o

My 6-year-old Macbook Pro is showing zero signs of letting me down. It runs the current os and Logic version, and I reckon it'll hold for another os/Logic upgrade or two. However, I have been concerned that I'm pretty much priced out of the current Mac market. I could get another 2nd-hand machine, but even those are pricey for a better spec' than I currently have.

This release grabbed my attention in every way except that it doesn't have not a proper discrete gfx card. And even though I wouldn't be against using an e-gpu, they currently don't work with Bootcamp :(

Kaine wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:44 pm The spec of the chip is a standard 8700.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck....
My (really old) i7 3770 still competes with that i7 8700:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... 3940vs1979

Apple is a joke.
Fernando (FMR)

The SSD is soldered in, only the RAM is upgradeble. To much $$$, Apple has lost it, but there are plenty of hipsters who are willing to pay 4 times the price of comparable hardware so they can have a Mac...
"and the Word was Sound..."
https://www.youtube.com/user/InLightTone

The Register thinks its all a cunning plan.............

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/3 ... ll_laptop/

I was really hoping for an iMac refresh, but with some planning I suppose I can cobble together a system that's more or less equivalent for less. As a bonus I can get a 24" monitor as I've never cared for 27" personally.
Rockatansky wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:05 pm I didn't watch the presentation, so no clue if they announced the SSD was fixed. But from the images on the product page the thing under the RAMs looks like some sort of mini PCIe SSD, and those two bolts look a lot like something a T6 or T8 could unscrew.
From what I've read the SSD can't be swapped because of some weirdness with the T2 chip. Maybe that's just apologetics, I dunno.

But you can get this here SSD for less than half what Apple's asking, so I'm just going to go that route.

Is the i7 worth it for Logic?

InLight-Tone wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:13 pmthere are plenty of hipsters who are willing to pay 4 times the price of comparable hardware so they can have a Mac...
If you have nothing but bullshit to chat, perhaps this thread isn't for you :tu:

dellboy wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:20 pm The Register thinks its all a cunning plan.............

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/3 ... ll_laptop/
That's curious. I was exactly thinking about that, but thinking to myself I was being paranoid. But as a matter of fact, Apple seems commited to trying to convince customers that their own CPU is more powerful than Intel CPUs and therefore paving the way for migrating their entire line of computers to their CPUs.

Problem is that anyone informed sees how severely underspec their computers are, and that those lack in any aspect to the competition. Only die hard fans will be convinced by that pathetic "it even runs Photoshop now" argument.

Apple is a joke.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”