AMD Ryzen 3rd gen. ZEN 2 processors for audio PC

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Now, where's Pete Kaine when you need him..?

Probably in the lab testing. :)

Looks like the 3700x and 3600x are in stock at Newegg today as well as 570 series mobos .

fedexnman wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:46 pm Looks like the 3700x and 3600x are in stock at Newegg today as well as 570 series mobos .
3700x sold out now, only 3600x is left without combo purchase.

Please, guys, make sure you do not use huge sampled libraries and super low latencies as here new multiple dies Ryzens are far behind the Intel's single die CPUs.

Cool story bro

Lolz

That's significant single-thread boost compared to Ryzen 1700, which is interesting to me.

1775 vs 2979 is quite a big boost, even if I currently run it at 3,6 GHz instead of stock 3,0 GHz. With that taken into account I can still expect almost 40% performance boost, which is well enough for any single-thread projects (especially mastering with Ozone :P).
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

poshook wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:58 pm Please, guys, make sure you do not use huge sampled libraries and super low latencies as here new multiple dies Ryzens are far behind the Intel's single die CPUs.
It's worth emphasizing that only the 3900X has two compute dies, the 3700X and 3800X (and lower) are all single die processors, just like intel...

Liero wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:22 pm
poshook wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:58 pm Please, guys, make sure you do not use huge sampled libraries and super low latencies as here new multiple dies Ryzens are far behind the Intel's single die CPUs.
It's worth emphasizing that only the 3900X has two compute dies, the 3700X and 3800X (and lower) are all single die processors, just like intel...
You are right, my fault. With Ryzen 3000 they changed the number of cores per die from 4 to 8 but still uses 4-core CCX within one CCD. In terms of inter CCX communication there is still one infinity fabric for both CCX inside the CCD. So it is not clean 8-Core die. We will see if 3990x and higher change the bad reputation of previous Ryzen.

I have seen a number of benchmarks and reviews though and it looks like in multi thread the AMD really pulls away, but in single thread the AMD chips are now equaling the Intel chips. The main difference is price (oh and security perhaps).

Still need to see DAW bench and specifically the Cubase results.

But 4000 series with more IPC enhancements scheduled for next year, I'm thinking I'll wait then.. Even if I go for a 3k chip they will be on discount and motherboards (hopefully a B550) will be out and bios matured. Plus PCIe 4 devices (mostly data drives) should be in more abundance. Oh, and maybe Intel will get their heads out of the sand..

It's the sound of progress, baby!

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AM ... 3493vs2970

(I see that these are not exactly equivalent products price-wise, but the raw numbers growing in just over two years are impressive).
change the bad reputation of previous Ryzen
Dafuq? :nutter:
Oh, and maybe Intel will get their heads out of the sand..
Not sooner than they're not able to sell anything. There is no reason to lower a price if you can sell a product for twice as much :roll: It's like asking Apple to lower their prices to help the poor or whatever.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

wodijbgjklvp$xpfogknhgfx
Last edited by Obsolete317542 on Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

poshook wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:29 pm
Liero wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:22 pm
You are right, my fault. With Ryzen 3000 they changed the number of cores per die from 4 to 8 but still uses 4-core CCX within one CCD. In terms of inter CCX communication there is still one infinity fabric for both CCX inside the CCD. So it is not clean 8-Core die. We will see if 3990x and higher change the bad reputation of previous Ryzen.

Cores always need access to other cores and cache wherever they are architecturally located, and there's no one perfect solution.

AMD has infinity fabric, Intel used to have a ringbus system and now has a mesh. The systems are actually not very easily comparable because they work very differently. If you want a gross simplification, ryzen is fast inside one CCX, but becomes slow once you need the 5th core on the other CCX -- intel's mesh is between those two examples in speed. What I mean by speed here is less latency.

What makes the whole question of "which is better" complicated, is that everything is also very dependent on what kind of workload you are feeding the processor. There simply is no universal "VST" performance. Effects and instruments can be programmed in myriad ways.

When do you think we're going to see scanproaudio benchmarks?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”