Intel 12900k has just been released. Best in class performance, giving AMD and Apple a run for their money.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fedexnman wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:15 pm 4. M1 is fine it's new , but how long till they scrap that ?
Now that they’re in charge of their own future in that respect doesn’t really make a difference but doubtful its happening anytime soon. They’ve already been doing this for 11 years starting with the A4 and soon they’ll have all of their devices on the same platform. No reason to “scrap that”.

Why are processors so expensive today? I would like to choose the best of the options: Intel Core i9 10980XE or AMD Ryzen 9 3900X I also looked at more specs on popular benchmarks:
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... 5899vs4044
https://rankquality.com/en/processors/
https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-compare/i ... en-9-3900x
I'm taking it too seriously, so I need to hear your opinion. Let's go on talking about it...

Toggle wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:42 pm Why are processors so expensive today? I would like to choose the best of the options: Intel Core i9 10980XE or AMD Ryzen 9 3900X I also looked at more specs on popular benchmarks:
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... 5899vs4044
https://rankquality.com/en/processors/
https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-compare/i ... en-9-3900x
I'm taking it too seriously, so I need to hear your opinion. Let's go on talking about it...
Look here
viewtopic.php?p=8244818#p8244818

Look here
viewtopic.php?p=8244818#p8244818
[/quote]

Thanks!

PAK wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:45 pm
UltraJv wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:37 am I disagree about the strawman heat issue :
Im not a fan of the narrative that 12th gen runs hot 24/7, because thats clearly not the case
Whether it is or isn't the case depends on usage. You're posting in an audio forum, and audio users are not "typical" users.

If you're someone who records most tracks directly to audio, with plugins which use minimal CPU, then you've got a good case that the heat issues are overstated.

Whereas, if you're someone who loads those tracks up with lots of virtual instruments, then, depending on the instruments, heat IS going to be a factor. Not only is it common to be spending many hours at a time doing that, unlike the person who can walk away from a 3D render, you're probably sitting close to the machine whilst doing it.

These are stop-gap solutions by Intel, which remain competitive at the cost of power usage. Based on their use case, people need to think through the full consequences of that, especially if they're putting that machine in a small room or bedroom.
Its the computer section here though. Im suggesting that heat on intel is a strawman as its not a concern as i showed. I can also state that AMD has many odd hardware problems and compatibiliy issues. Many buy motherboards and the AMD device wont work. Why? Because the BIOS needs to be updated. You need an older AMD chip to do this so its catch 22. Ive never had heat issues with intel.

Apples intel devices deliberatley sacrificed proper heat systems for thin machines. Thats why most Apple owners noticed heat. Jony Ive has been blamed for this but Apple approved his designs. Now Apple have made chassis thicker for proper cooling and put back ports. The new max and pro are eye wateringly expensive and dont warrant the cost against AMD or intel. Each to their own of course. As for rendering, leaving a laptop overnight doing any task is frowned upon as they are light duty.

As for intel heating up a room, please this is a childish statement as it would require 500 watts to 1kw or more waste heat to do this.
Last edited by UltraJv on Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alder Lakes are toasters lolz . Hey AMD was in the toaster industry for awhile before the Ryzen series and didn't really get the Ryzen series going really good til 3000 series .. I like the competition , AMD is up next lolz it's great for us consumers . And yes Apple is overpriced at the moment.

fedexnman wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:03 am And yes Apple is overpriced at the moment.
How so if they deliver performance while also not needing a fridge to cool their CPUs?
IMO their flock of gadgets is priced just right ATM
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

UltraJv wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:38 amstrawman
..proceeds to list a bunch of unrelated things ;)
As for intel heating up a room, please this is a childish statement as it would require 500 watts to 1kw or more waste heat to do this.
Are you sure you're not trolling? :D Otherwise I won't ask what place you pulled those numbers from, as I wouldn't want a nasty surprise. Suffice to say there are multiple variables which would make a nonsense of any such statement. BTW I first encountered real problems, with CPU's heating up the room, back in the days of higher clocked Pentium 4's. We've been pretty fortunate that, for most of the i7's life, it really hasn't been of much concern.

That's changed because of several factors. Fortunately, Intel know this even if you don't, and it'll be interesting to see how they respond to their real threat - which isn't AMD btw, but RISC.

In the meantime, for users who mostly browse the web and game a bit (IE a big chunk of the market) these current Intel solutions could well present a good balance. For people who hammer performance cores (and there's a decent amount of audio users in that category) there's many more caveats, and power use doesn't just bring up issues of heat, but also noise too etc.

rezoneight wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:08 pm
Scotty wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:22 pm
rezoneight wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:07 am Apple simply the best performance per watt. Not even close. For some that will be important, for some not. Apple doesn’t have a thing to worry themselves over.
They do if they do if they try to put a laptop chip in a desktop case. They need another trick up their sleeve to compete with the workstation class performance of their rivals. They are extremely competitive with laptops but they need more cores and better multithreaded performance to beat out Alder Lake and anything Ryzen 5000 and up.
And you don’t think they’ve been working on that? The intent is to replace the whole line up and they don’t just make laptops. So no, they don’t have anything to worry about. And honestly if I want an Apple machine what Intel and AMD are doing really is irrelevant.
Irrelevant to you. Not to me or others. I’m not religious about this stuff. The world as it sits today just got more complicated for Apple and AMD. Apple isn't done but the impressive if not stunning lead they achieved in laptops isn’t going to be uncontested in the desktop space. Interesting times.
Last edited by Scotty on Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scotty wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:15 am
rezoneight wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:08 pm
Scotty wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:22 pm
rezoneight wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:07 am Apple simply the best performance per watt. Not even close. For some that will be important, for some not. Apple doesn’t have a thing to worry themselves over.
They do if they do if they try to put a laptop chip in a desktop case. They need another trick up their sleeve to compete with the workstation class performance of their rivals. They are extremely competitive with laptops but they need more cores and better multithreaded performance to beat out Alder Lake and anything Ryzen 5000 and up.
And you don’t think they’ve been working on that? The intent is to replace the whole line up and they don’t just make laptops. So no, they don’t have anything to worry about. And honestly if I want an Apple machine what Intel and AMD are doing really is irrelevant.
Irrelevant to you. Not to me or others. I’m not religious about this stuff. The world as it sits today just got more complicated for Apple and AMD. Apple is t done but the impressive if not stunning lead they achieved in laptops isn’t going to be uncontested in the desktop space. Interesting times.
Forgtet it. This guy has an agenda. rezoneight isn't here to argue about anything reasonably, he is here solely to defend and promote crApple :hihi:
Last edited by fmr on Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

PAK wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:08 am
UltraJv wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:38 amstrawman
..proceeds to list a bunch of unrelated things ;)
Are you sure you're not trolling? :D Otherwise I won't ask what place you pulled those numbers from, as I wouldn't want a nasty surprise. Suffice to say there are multiple variables which would make a nonsense of any such statement. BTW I first encountered real problems, with CPU's heating up the room, back in the days of higher clocked Pentium 4's. We've been pretty fortunate that, for most of the i7's life, it really hasn't been of much concern.

That's changed because of several factors. Fortunately, Intel know this even if you don't, and it'll be interesting to see how they respond to their real threat - which isn't AMD btw, but RISC.

In the meantime, for users who mostly browse the web and game a bit (IE a big chunk of the market) these current Intel solutions could well present a good balance. For people who hammer performance cores (and there's a decent amount of audio users in that category) there's many more caveats, and power use doesn't just bring up issues of heat, but also noise too etc.
The figures I quote for heating a room come from a standard electrical heater lol. I have a 500w projector that is too much in summer but the bulb puts out that heat. I have several HP i7 desktops that are whisper quiet, no heat. You have to go out of your way to make them noisy and hot.

As for intels competition being RISC, X86, X64 is RISC these days. The intel chips decode everything to RISC on the back end. Theres practically no difference anymore except in marketing. Apple is the only company forcing ARM into the playing field here. For PC, theres too much legacy software to make it viable. Apples plan is to use multiple M1 chips for desktop, then the heat will start to show. Apple was supposed to have desktop ARM now but its a no show. They have new hardware every 2 years so its a long wait. Interesting times for sure.
Last edited by UltraJv on Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? We're discussing about PC's "heating the room" now? :lol:

Ridiculous what the anti-Intel folks pull out of their pockets the whole time. Man, the way this world is right now, highly political in every way thinkable, I just wonder how times will be in 10 years, when the generation XYZ or whatever it is called, are ready to make the world how they want it to be. I frankly shudder when I think about it.

chk071 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:39 am Seriously? We're discussing about PC's "heating the room" now? :lol:

Ridiculous what the anti-Intel folks pull out of their pockets the whole time. Man, the way this world is right now, highly political in every way thinkable, I just wonder how times will be in 10 years, when the generation XYZ or whatever it is called, are ready to make the world how they want it to be. I frankly shudder when I think about it.
Indeed :borg:

Let's hope they will not lead the world into a conflict of large magnitude. That's what happened last century with those kind of attitudes. :(
Fernando (FMR)

chk071 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:39 am Seriously? We're discussing about PC's "heating the room" now? :lol:
Brilliant, I get a new PC and a new heater for my studio, 2 for 1- take that Apple!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Yes, especially in the winter.
They could still learn from Apple though, as they would market it as a feature including a comparison chart, revealing how much more efficient their Mac Pro is compared to regular gas or oil radiators.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”