Android audio apps

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Karmacomposer wrote:
UltraJv wrote:
to-pse wrote:
UltraJv wrote: You could say the same of PCs but people still manage to work round it :-)
I guess your are talking about Windows prior to Win98? Since then,
even when using the standard-multimedia-APIs you get latency of less
then 60 msecs (due to the kernel-mixer) or you can use WDM-kernel-streaming
which circumvents the kernel-mixer an achieves between 5-10 msecs...
Or you could use something like ASIO and have latencies which are so
low that sound will travel a max distance of 2 meters in the timeframe...
As has already been said, despite the naysayers, Android is gaining and will continue to do so because of its widespread manufacturer base like the PC. Im quite happy with the audio apps available and latency isnt an issue if you use Cyanogen mod. As for data ports, all Android devices have audio in/out, thats the min requirement to connect up. Once you hit a certain price point, you may as well have a laptop. Of course, that still wont stop companies appealing to those who feel they have to have the latest audio apps on thier phones/tablets, its not very practical but great fun. There we have it - fun, I can have fun on my Android phone, I use my PC DAW for serious stuff.
Which normal user wants to use special operating-system mods to use their smartphone/tablet to have bearable latency? Unless Google gets its act together and makes low-level operation (lets say less than 20msecs) of audio mandatory for all devices, no noteworthy amount of manufacturers of audio-applications will see Android as a viable platform.

Tobias
I think youre missing the point. The devices are underpowered for serious audio even ipad2/iphone. They are just fun. Theres no need for Google to change anything as it seems pointless to do this. They are making plenty of $ and dont need you to tell them how to run a business. Apple users will try to make anything work on istuff spending $100s in the process. I have a netbook, it can run audio apps but I dont use it seriously, I would never buy an interface for it as its just fun :-)
No, YOU are missing the point.

I bought a kick ass Android tablet (Acer Iconia A500 - Nvidia Tegra dual core processor - 32GB ram). I also bought a stock iPad2 (dual core A5 - 32gb ram).

I WILL NOT root my device and void the warranty, guarantee no more updates, etc. I have rooted my Gtablet and TBH, there is NO DIFFERENCE in latency. Not one single solitary ounce of difference.

I AM creating REAL music on my iPad2 - in fact, with the new Multi-track recorder I bought, several great synths and a ton of other amazing music software of the highest quality, I can truly create on the go or in my studio - makes no difference. I am using a Presonus Audiobox, Akai keyboard (for on the go) and M-Audio 61 key midi-master keyboard (for in the studio) and some decent speakers and/or headphones. Armed with these three items, I can record very high quality sound (1/4 inch or XLR balanced) through the Presonus.

This is all very reminiscint of my studio - but ultra portable. The Android CANNOT do any of this.

THAT'S the point.

Mike
I suggest you read my previous post RE IK. Low latency audio is here for Android,IK is onboard, others will follow.

Karmacomposer wrote:This is all very reminiscint of my studio - but ultra portable. The Android CANNOT do any of this.
But already Win95 on a laptop in 1998 easily could do this. I think this is the point.

Additionally only very few apps actually need low latency as most are loop based or point and click anyway. I agree with the connectors but almost all attachable things are only used once and then thrown away the next day. I don't think this is a culture that I want to support.

As for remote controlling software: I can take an arbitrary 79$ crap-pad from the shelf and control almost every aspect of REAPER in real time out of the box with the default web browser of this cheap brick. Nothing else needed. Additionally there are a lot of cross platform libraries out there, most are free to use for all developers. With these technologies available there is really no need for one specialized app for every host/plugin out there and especially there is very little need for generic apps that are only able to run on one specific 600$ device.

Only programming for a specific device is really bad coding style, especially today where technology is moving so fast. This point alone scares me away from almost all iOS-only apps. If the coding style is this bad and the fore sighting of these companies is so limited then the rest (support etc) can not be much better.

Karmacomposer wrote:
UltraJv wrote:
to-pse wrote:
UltraJv wrote: You could say the same of PCs but people still manage to work round it :-)
As has already been said, despite the naysayers, Android is gaining and will continue to do so because of its widespread manufacturer base like the PC. Im quite happy with the audio apps available and latency isnt an issue if you use Cyanogen mod. As for data ports, all Android devices have audio in/out, thats the min requirement to connect up. Once you hit a certain price point, you may as well have a laptop. Of course, that still wont stop companies appealing to those who feel they have to have the latest audio apps on thier phones/tablets, its not very practical but great fun. There we have it - fun, I can have fun on my Android phone, I use my PC DAW for serious stuff.
Which normal user wants to use special operating-system mods to use their smartphone/tablet to have bearable latency? Unless Google gets its act together and makes low-level operation (lets say less than 20msecs) of audio mandatory for all devices, no noteworthy amount of manufacturers of audio-applications will see Android as a viable platform.

Tobias
I think youre missing the point. The devices are underpowered for serious audio even ipad2/iphone. They are just fun. Theres no need for Google to change anything as it seems pointless to do this. They are making plenty of $ and dont need you to tell them how to run a business. Apple users will try to make anything work on istuff spending $100s in the process. I have a netbook, it can run audio apps but I dont use it seriously, I would never buy an interface for it as its just fun :-)

I bought a kick ass Android tablet (Acer Iconia A500 - Nvidia Tegra dual core processor - 32GB ram). I also bought a stock iPad2 (dual core A5 - 32gb ram).

I WILL NOT root my device and void the warranty, guarantee no more updates, etc. I have rooted my Gtablet and TBH, there is NO DIFFERENCE in latency. Not one single solitary ounce of difference.

I AM creating REAL music on my iPad2 - in fact, with the new Multi-track recorder I bought, several great synths and a ton of other amazing music software of the highest quality, I can truly create on the go or in my studio - makes no difference. I am using a Presonus Audiobox, Akai keyboard (for on the go) and M-Audio 61 key midi-master keyboard (for in the studio) and some decent speakers and/or headphones. Armed with these three items, I can record very high quality sound (1/4 inch or XLR balanced) through the Presonus.

This is all very reminiscint of my studio - but ultra portable. The Android CANNOT do any of this.

THAT'S the point.

Mike
So you are recording into the ipad at 16 bit? I don't get it , is the Ipad replacing the laptop for the "portable" studio? My mom just got a year old Asus "Bamboo" laptop for $525 with an I5 quad, 6 gigs ram and Windows 7 64..It's fast as sh*t!! I was blown away by how good the laptop is and Asus is not even considered top of the line. The ipad is a great tool that can emulate many soft synth's but to think it replaces even a cheap middle range laptop is dumb.

wbrewer wrote:
Karmacomposer wrote:
UltraJv wrote:
to-pse wrote:

Tobias

THAT'S the point.

Mike
So you are recording into the ipad at 16 bit? I don't get it , is the Ipad replacing the laptop for the "portable" studio? My mom just got a year old Asus "Bamboo" laptop for $525 with an I5 quad, 6 gigs ram and Windows 7 64..It's fast as sh*t!! I was blown away by how good the laptop is and Asus is not even considered top of the line. The ipad is a great tool that can emulate many soft synth's but to think it replaces even a cheap middle range laptop is dumb.
It is quite useless to argue this because no matter what I say, everyone here will argue to the contrary.

However, I believe in my argument because of the following:

My Android tablet cost $400. It boots up immediately and weighs nothing. Lasts 20 hours on a charge and can do almost EVERYTHING a computer or laptop can do, but it is insanely easy to port around, has no moving parts and is tons of fun to use - oh, and it's a freakin touch screen. The cheapest touch screen laptop is around $1,200. Oh, and Android apps tend to cost anywhere from $3 to FREE for the most part. Office cost the most at $15. And yes, there is free this and free that for PC and Linux. I don't give a crap - none of that comes close to the same experience as whipping out my Android tablet at a coffee shop and having a blast while everyone else is dealing with mice, boot up, etc. And keyboards and mice work just fine on my tablet if I so choose. Did I mention no moving parts - nothing to break. No hard drive to crash. No DOS to deal with.

Apple Ipad2 - yes, more expensive (mine cost me $530 for 32GB edition - bought it open box special). All the same except I can buy a pro level DAW for $20. I can buy a sampler for $15. I can buy a bunch of soft synths that can be used with the DAW and Sampler for a few dollars (from $2.00 to $10.00 on average). You CANNOT reach the level of quality and features for music creation on the go

And both tablets become a kick ass remote control for everything else. Hell, I can even control my PCs and Mac at home with my tablets - and faster than I ever could with PC anywhere running top of the line computers. Th technology simply amazes me.

Netbooks and laptops are clunky and large and slow to startup. I should know, I own all of the above. I have the best possible netbook you can buy (a 64bit AMD with a ATI video card). Still slow as hell AND not made for any heavy lifting. I own FOUR laptops - one of which is a 8 core MONSTER with a 22 inch screen and 32GB ram. It's a freakin monster. I use it to replace my video and audio studio when I am travelling. It's large, heavy as hell, but really powerful. My other laptops are smaller and lighter - but NONE compare to the ease of use, speed and fun of either of my tablets. I also have a Tablet PC. My tablets (Android and Ipad) put it to shame. It gathers dust now.

You may argue all you want, but tablets are the present and the future - they'll simply get more powerful, smaller, lighter, longer lasting and weighing less. The quad cores are almost out and at that point, you'll have a i7 Intel processor in a paper thin device that will kick the living crap out of every other computing device on the planet. Both of my tablets achieve console level graphics, so gaming is AMAZING and the tablets both have gyros, so the interactivity is on par, if not better, than a wii.

Sorry, I've used them all, but I carry my two tablets with me EVERYWHERE. I use my PCs when necessary.

Mike

eh, still rather have a laptop. Tablets are cool though for the shitter, simple internet browsing and the like. iOS and Andriod OS's are not fully functional like a standard Windows/OSX operating system.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”